aberdeen-music

Wizard Festival 2009

Guest Gladstone

I've got an idea, why don't we start bashing the best festival in the North East...

These guys are doing a fantastic job of organising what is a massive event to take on. They've successfully hosted a growing festival 3 years in a row, throwing masses of their own money and effort into it to get it up and running, and keep it going, now securing sponsorship to help along the way from what looks like a lot of sources, which in my opinion is massively commendable. Running a gig at the Lemon Tree was a massive pain in the arse at times, so I've no idea how much of a pain this must be for the festival organisers!

Sam raised a valid question, which Ben answered and gave an e-mail address to fire suggestions to for future festivals.

They are still at the early stages and striving to get everything right. How about instead of flippant "I've never been at a festival anywhere in the world that doesn't count sound engineers as crew members" comments, don't you just send an e-mail to the Wizard organisers and suggest they let bands take a dedicated sound engineer if they have one, who can work with the stage engineers?

I love it when people (sitting at a computer) just start having a go at people who are out there getting their hands dirty trying (and in this case achieving) to do something positive for the area/industry/whatever.

Yeah. I've had a shit day. ;)

• Upvote 2

I've got an idea, why don't we start bashing the best festival in the North East...

These guys are doing a fantastic job of organising what is a massive event to take on. They've successfully hosted a growing festival 3 years in a row, throwing masses of their own money and effort into it to get it up and running, and keep it going, now securing sponsorship to help along the way from what looks like a lot of sources, which in my opinion is massively commendable. Running a gig at the Lemon Tree was a massive pain in the arse at times, so I've no idea how much of a pain this must be for the festival organisers!

Sam raised a valid question, which Ben answered and gave an e-mail address to fire suggestions to for future festivals.

They are still at the early stages and striving to get everything right. How about instead of flippant "I've never been at a festival anywhere in the world that doesn't count sound engineers as crew members" comments, don't you just send an e-mail to the Wizard organisers and suggest they let bands take a dedicated sound engineer if they have one, who can work with the stage engineers?

I love it when people (sitting at a computer) just start having a go at people who are out there getting their hands dirty trying (and in this case achieving) to do something positive for the area/industry/whatever.

No one is 'bashing' the festival. Sam raised a question, Ben answered, I put the point forward that crew shouldn't be seen as guestlist but as working professionals who (if actually professional) can make the performance as good as it can be.

I could email this point to the organiser, but I am sure my point can just be read on this open forum.

I also love people sitting at computers, chipping in with points about helping the industry, getting hands dirty etc... which is actually what I do for a full time job.

Guest Gladstone
No one is 'bashing' the festival. Sam raised a question, Ben answered, I put the point forward that crew shouldn't be seen as guestlist but as working professionals who (if actually professional) can make the performance as good as it can be.

I could email this point to the organiser, but I am sure my point can just be read on this open forum.

I also love people sitting at computers, chipping in with points about helping the industry, getting hands dirty etc... which is actually what I do for a full time job.

Awesome. Well done.

Can you not read Calum? I raised a point as to why they were doing things differently to every festival in the word. I did not "start bashing the best festival in the North East".

If this is aimed at me in any way or form, you can get tae.

To defend Mr Carrots...

This was aimed at you and...

... this was aimed at the negative aspect of this thread in general (i.e. not a lot of people have chipped in saying how ace it was (i dunno if it was, I wasn't there)). Basically, I don't think he's havin a go at you.

Guest Gladstone

Yeah ca_gere has it spot on.

I wasn't having a go at Sam - I said you raised a valid question which Ben answered.

It's the whole fucking negativity aimed at people trying to do something positive which pisses me off greatly.

The Wizard guys are doing a magic job and 3 years in a row the festival has been brilliant. The number of people who will have a bit of a go at the fact they have the Levellers or Alabama 3 or even Charlatans because they're a bit dated or whatever does my fucking nut in. They are still very new to this even 3 years in, and getting the sort of names they've got is absolutely amazing. Things like the point Sam raised will continue to be ironed out as the years go on.

But the amount of people sitting on their arses never doing anything or never involved in anyway organising even a gig, or anything else, who have the cheek to criticise someone taking on this level of commitment pisses me off.

People in the North East of Scotland (in particular) have the mentality that anyone doing well deserves to be put down before they get above their station, and it's a massive contributing factor to the fact that we sit behind other areas of the country/Europe/world in many different aspects of life.

Wizard Festival if supported correctly (which it does appear to be, given the sponsorship and the increased ticket sales each year), can grow into one of the best "small" festivals in Scotland (and the UK).

For the record, I wasn't having a go at Sam, and not really having a go at the other guy who has worked at every other festival in the world. Just criticising the negativity towards what is already a great festival on our doorstep, and could be a brilliant fixture on the festival circuit. Getting bands like Idlewild, Charlatans, Dykeenies, Supergrass, as well as a host of great local acts performing a mile from New Deer is incredible.