aberdeen-music

Wizard Festival 2009

Will the Stage Times be online for all the acts? Not that i'm going (yet anyway) but just out of interest would like to see who is playing when.

If you go to the line up section of the wizard website the bands are llisted in order of appearance, starting I think at 3 on the Friday and 12 on the Saturday, shouldn't be too hard to work out from there...

Is it possible to buy tickets at the gate on the day? Been asked by a few folk now...!

There will be a limited amount of tickets available on the gate on the day but these will come at a premium compared with the advance prices.

Weekend 80.00

Saturday 55.00

Big tents went up today and the site is looking great!

excited.com! :)

If you go to the line up section of the wizard website the bands are llisted in order of appearance, starting I think at 3 on the Friday and 12 on the Saturday, shouldn't be too hard to work out from there...
Only works if you know how long each band is playing, openers geting same set length & changeover as headliners would be unusual.

Got my tickets today :) Looking forward to it. (Friday more than Saturday though!)

Stagecoach bus from Aberdeen to Mintlaw on the Friday, hourly service back on the Sunday afternoon.

If anyone wants to share taxi fare to/from Mintlaw then let me know.

Or it's only a seven mile walk along the Formartine & Buchan Way. ;)

The 251 to New Deer has a whole 10 fest-goers and two other folk on it. Thought it'd be busier being the only direct bus to ND

I must say I wasn't at all interested in the majority of the headliners (although Idlewild were dependably ace). This meant I had a class time catching a lot of the bands in the smaller tents; Little Kicks were predictably good and I enjoyed Cast of the Capital's set. Sadly didn't catchy IRL as I was trying to locate two vanishing guitars at the time.

From our point of view, it was great to exorcise the demons from our terrible performance a couple of years ago. We had a nice big crowd and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheers to the Wizard guys for having us!

Can you tell me why you told bands not to bring crews? I am a freelance sound engineer and was meant to be coming up with Call To Mind on the Friday but due to your regulations i was put out of work...

Obviously i wasn't very happy about this.

Sam...its absolutely not up to the festival if the band brings an engineer or not...its the bands decision and the crew at the festival should deal with it...you should have gone anyway!

Sam...its absolutely not up to the festival if the band brings an engineer or not...its the bands decision and the crew at the festival should deal with it...you should have gone anyway!

I think the issue would be more to do with allowing the crew passes to get into the festival/backstage/crew areas. If Sam had turned up, he wouldnt have been allowed in I'd guess...

We were lucky in the fact that our regular sound engineer was handily employed as the engineer for the stage we played on for the whole weekend!

I think the issue would be more to do with allowing the crew passes to get into the festival/backstage/crew areas. If Sam had turned up, he wouldnt have been allowed in I'd guess...

We were lucky in the fact that our regular sound engineer was handily employed as the engineer for the stage we played on for the whole weekend!

Dave is right in what he is saying, the wizard have sound engineers dedicated for each stage and we have to limit the numbers for access to backstage etc. Each band is allowed say 1 or 2 guest passes, if they want sound engineers also then that could add up to 3/4 passes each band.... if each band gets this then thats approx 240 free passes!

Anyway, the feedback from the bands/punters has been generally good so far, there are a few things we know we need to look at for next year to improve things. Any feedback please send to info@wizardfestival.com

Thanks to all the bands on here that sent in demos/supported the wizard and look forward to recieving your demos around march!

Cheers Ben

Dave is right in what he is saying, the wizard have sound engineers dedicated for each stage and we have to limit the numbers for access to backstage etc. Each band is allowed say 1 or 2 guest passes, if they want sound engineers also then that could add up to 3/4 passes each band.... if each band gets this then thats approx 240 free passes!

It worries me that you look upon crew members as guestlist and not working professionals who make the bands they work for a tighter unit, which in turn improves the quality of your festival.

• Upvote 1

It worries me that you look upon crew members as guestlist and not working professionals who make the bands they work for a tighter unit, which in turn improves the quality of your festival.

You do have to be careful with stuff like that though - I see bands turning up to gigs at The Tunnels with like 11 people when there are 4 in the band and assure you it doesnt make things run any smoother, in fact the exact opposite would be true. The smoother gigs are ones where bands turn up with maybe a sound engineer and then work with the venue team to get things working swiftly.

The more crew the less things run on time.

For Wizard I dont see why youd need more than just your engineer as there are already dedicated stage crew.

In Sams case then he was genuinely working, but with all those bands how many of the potential free passes would just have gone to mates etc.

You do have to be careful with stuff like that though - I see bands turning up to gigs at The Tunnels with like 11 people when there are 4 in the band and assure you it doesnt make things run any smoother, in fact the exact opposite would be true. The smoother gigs are ones where bands turn up with maybe a sound engineer and then work with the venue team to get things working swiftly.

The more crew the less things run on time.

For Wizard I dont see why youd need more than just your engineer as there are already dedicated stage crew.

In Sams case then he was genuinely working, but with all those bands how many of the potential free passes would just have gone to mates etc.

Yes I understand that moron bands bring 50 of their friends to help out and they are all clueless and get in the way.

The issue here is that whoever Sam was representing was told that they couldn't bring a crew member, putting Sam out of work for a day. And it seems that this stems from Wizard looking upon crew members as free ticket takers, and not working professionals.

Just for the record, I have never worked any festival across the world that has prohibited taking crew.