aberdeen-music

Tallinn Stag - Advice?

Free Korps

anyone care to divulge any information or experiences from visiting Tallinn?

we are hoping to go see FC Flora, anyone been to a match over there?

apart from that it'll be maybe visiting a couple of sights then concentrating on booze, women, food and Depeche Mode Bar! (in some kind of rotating order)

anyone care to divulge any information or experiences from visiting Tallinn?

we are hoping to go see FC Flora, anyone been to a match over there?

apart from that it'll be maybe visiting a couple of sights then concentrating on booze, women, food and Depeche Mode Bar! (in some kind of rotating order)

Never been...

But did read a fantastic fictional book called "One Team in Tallinn" about the Tartan Army accidently saving a man from assassination. There are some great stories about the city and sights in there if you ever have a spare 3 to spare. You'll find it for cheap on amazon...

I'd stay away from the Baltics if you can help it - Tallinn was very anti-British stag party when I was there a couple of years ago, and Riga was even worse. Many bars had signs up saying that Stag parties weren't welcome, and the Baltics have enough Russians around to make life quite dodgy if you end up in the 'wrong' place. The local tolerance is very, very low for stag parties - the receptionist in the hotel (Radisson, so probably reliable enough) was telling us that the police in Tallinn had taken to simply lifting Brits at the slightest hint of trouble - so it really might not be worthwhile.

All three Baltic currencies are linked to the Euro as well, so the exchange rate is garbage. Add to this runaway inflation in the Baltic countries and it really isn't a worthwhile destination. But the people are wonderful - Estonians are very similar to Scandinavians in terms of hospitality, and will help you if they can.

Is Tallinn a fixed choice? If not, I could probably recommend better/cheaper places. For instance, the place I stayed in Riga offered (for 35 quid/person) the opportunity to go and shoot AK47's for real.

yeah it's tallinn next weekend, we've always said that it'll be a good idea to be a stealth stag party, the stags used to do what they wanted over there (maybe when they were just happy for business) but now as you say the police and some bars aren't loving it. maybe dress up the stag during the day once but try to act like a normal group of 9 guys going out getting hammered... well we'll see!

Fuck that! im definetely nae going now.

my back to back might not be coming back, which might put pay to my chances of getting home in time! hopefully nae.

going to start looking at flights in next couple of days, when i find out if theres a chance i`ll be home.

i put up a comment today so that your gig ad would go back near the top of the page.

founf out anymore about the fitba in tallin?

nah nae sure aboot fitba yet, might be too cold anyway!

KLM flights are prob best bet but nae cheap, looking like 300 squid, not far off what most folk paid anyway.

other routes via london now not looking too good either... :down:

direct from where ever you are may be the way forward!

Fly to Riga on Ryanscare, then bus/train to Tallinn? Prob a wee bit cheaper :up:

Watch out for that famous "Riga scam" that happens all over Eastern Europe.

Flyer/PR person sees a bunch of guys on a stag.

"Hey guys come into this bar, we have a special offer if you come in now you'll get two rounds of drinks for free / a bottle of champagne for free / etc."

Group goes into bar, drinks two rounds / bottle of champagne / etc. then attempt to leave the bar. A barmaid comes up and hands them a bill for 100 for the drinks / champers etc.

"You said it was free?"

"No we didn't"

"But the person on the street said it was free"

"No we didn't. Pay up"

At this point a group of bouncers / heavies come up and demand payment for the drinks, often at more than the drinks are meant to actually cost

Then you get the choice of paying up or being taken outside and getting a proper shoeing. And you just know the local constabulary are going to take the bar's word over that of a group of drunken Brits. Most people pay up.

Think i`ll have to go for the direct route, nae much of an adventurer! will end up getting pissed and sold in russia as someones bitch!

I was very very close to being out on the piss in Stockholm and waking up on a boat to Tallinn 2 years ago! Swedish women can be very persuasive... :up:

i was on an underground train in hamburg, hoping to get back to hotel one night... bad move, i was almost off the map, was told to get off at next stop and get train going in opposite direction, oh and i was slightly drunk but should've realised that a double decker train wouldn't just be doing the local routes...

Fly to Riga on Ryanscare, then bus/train to Tallinn? Prob a wee bit cheaper :up:

I've done it in the opposite direction, and the road between Tallinn and Riga can only be described as 'empty'. The bus stopped at the border for a good 20-30 minutes, and I only saw about three cars in that time across cross. But seeing as Schengen has come in, no need to even flash a passport now.

Beautiful countryside in Estonia though.

Seeing as you're definitely going to Tallinn - all I can say is that do not wander off the beaten track. It's not a dangerous city, but you can pretty much find everything you need either in the Old Town itself or near/in Viru Keskus.

Tallinn guide by In Your Pocket. Full, free city guide to Tallinn < this should be your bible :)

• 2 weeks later...