aberdeen-music

Busy times at The Lemon Tree

Plenty gonig on at The Lemon Tree over the next wee while, so here's a quick lowdown of the next week or so

Exposure@The Lemon Tree

The latest installment of the monthly showcase, this is one for metal fans, featuring

Flood of Red LIVE

Hot Mangu

allstationsdown

Ablach

There have been some last minute alterations to the previously advertised line up.

Hugh Cornwell

The frontman from The Stranglers comes to Aberdeen as part of his tour to launch his critically-acclaimed new album Hooverdam.

Mor Karbasi

Stunning London-Israeli singer, mixing Ladino and Flamenco routes with a more modern approach to world music.

Aberfeldy + Michael Marra

One of Scotland's most popular and acclaimed underground acts returns to the LT. Support from the gravelly-voiced one.

Keith James and Rick Foot present Poet in New York

A unique event in tribute of Leonard Cohen, featuring music by Cohen, Federico Garcia Lorca, Vladimir Nabokov, Silvia Plath, Bob Dylan, Suzanne Vega, and Pablo Neruda. Also includes a documentary of the great singer-songwriter's career.

Nils kland Trio & Catriona McKay Flo

A double bill of Scottish and Norwegian musicians, virtuosic practitioners of their tradition with distinctive, contemporary voices.

Glasgow Unsigned Showcase

A unique showcase of the ever-vibrant Glasrock scene, these bands have all been tipped for big things in 2009. The night features:

Annie Stevenson

The Doledrums

Kaleidoscope Eyes

Rodan

Finley Quaye + The Vivians

Multi award-winning reggae artist is on the road again with his distinct and individual brand of Jamaican music, drawing on his African heritage and upbringing in London and Edniburgh. Support from punk act The Vivians with a DJ set from Az-I Cool's qb-C.

I have to say this - the LTs marketing is fucking terrible nowadays. This is the first I've heard of about half of these gigs and they're happening next week, FFS.

Sorry, but there needs to be more posts like this at an earlier date so people know what's going on there, otherwise it's just a matter of time before the place closes yet again.

Guest idol_wild
I have to say this - the LTs marketing is fucking terrible nowadays. This is the first I've heard of about half of these gigs and they're happening next week, FFS.

Sorry, but there needs to be more posts like this at an earlier date so people know what's going on there, otherwise it's just a matter of time before the place closes yet again.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to french_disko again.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I'm not going to slate the Lemon Tree because I obviously run my clubnight out of there, but I have to agree to a certain extent - the amount of gigs that you don't hear about unless you actively seek out their website etc is ridiculous.

BUT, I think they are combatting this now. As far as I'm aware there have been quite a lot of changes since the place re-opened, and are only now starting to take effect.

I must stress that I don't know all the ins and outs cos I don't work for them or anything, but as far as I'm aware, they have only recently got going with an actual distribution company to stick their posters and flyers up everywhere, as well as working on various promotion schemes, including more leaflets, and posters and all sorts of stuff.

Their gig listings are regularly in the local papers though, and they do always have that massive fuck off poster up outside the venue with what's coming up in a month's time.

I don't think the Lemon Tree is the only venue in Aberdeen guilty of this though. I rarely hear about gigs at Tunnels/Drummonds/Moshulu/Cellar 35 unless I've gone looking to see what's on for myself. Snafu seems to be the best at marketing what's on. It all has to do with money as far as I can see. Moshulu haven't employed anyone to do their promotion - they have Steven running about like a nutcase trying to do everything, but I think his job is to book bands, not to promote shows. Tunnels and Drummonds seem to be content with sticking posters up in their own venues, and I never hear what's on at Cellar 35....

Snafu has a good regular e-mail bulletin and do a lot of social networking type advertising

:popcorn:

Just so you know almost all gigs are posted in the What's On calendar of Aberdeen-Music, and most of these have been up for a few weeks, though not all.

Like was said above Chris - it's probably a good idea to have a bulletin per week or something similar. But - in advance, so if you were posting today, say "gigs for the week commencing 23rd March" or something similar.

Just a suggestion.

Obviously there are far more places to advertise gigs than on this forum, but probably worthwhile.

The Lemon Tree myspace page doesn't look like it's been touched for about a year either -and a facebook group may be handy (if it doesn't already exist) - there's a handy "send message to all group members" function, which you could send the bulletins to. Take a while to build up the members, but would be worth it.

:up:

Addition Gig coming up in the next couple of weeks @ The Lemon Tree.

Hip Parade + Free Korps, 20th March

Check out the link for further details

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/gigs-event-announcements/54214-hip-parade-free-korps.html

Free-Korps upcoming shows...

Thursday 19th March at 7pm at Classic Grand, Glasgow

Supporting Hip Parade - myspace.com/hipparade

TicketWeb

Friday 20th March at 8.30pm at The Lemon Tree, Aberdeen.

Supporting Hip Parade - myspace.com/hipparade

Tickets from Lemon Tree or Aberdeen Box Office (inside Music Hall) 01224 641122

THE LEMON TREE LOUNGE : Productions : Hip Parade

Wed 22nd April at 7.30pm at The Tunnels, Aberdeen.

Supporting Nightmare of You

TicketWeb

I think the LT do better than most...

They always have ads in the local press and The Skinny.

They have pretty regular emails (through APA).

When shows are on sale they are on their website.

It's not that difficult to find out what's going on with a bit of effort.

Fair enough point though - there isn't a great deal of presence on this website.

Oh and it would be better if they had a separate brochure again, rather than bundled in with all APA stuff - but that's just my opinion.

I'm not going to slate the Lemon Tree because I obviously run my clubnight out of there, but I have to agree to a certain extent - the amount of gigs that you don't hear about unless you actively seek out their website etc is ridiculous.

BUT, I think they are combatting this now. As far as I'm aware there have been quite a lot of changes since the place re-opened, and are only now starting to take effect.

I must stress that I don't know all the ins and outs cos I don't work for them or anything, but as far as I'm aware, they have only recently got going with an actual distribution company to stick their posters and flyers up everywhere, as well as working on various promotion schemes, including more leaflets, and posters and all sorts of stuff.

Their gig listings are regularly in the local papers though, and they do always have that massive fuck off poster up outside the venue with what's coming up in a month's time.

I don't think the Lemon Tree is the only venue in Aberdeen guilty of this though. I rarely hear about gigs at Tunnels/Drummonds/Moshulu/Cellar 35 unless I've gone looking to see what's on for myself. Snafu seems to be the best at marketing what's on. It all has to do with money as far as I can see. Moshulu haven't employed anyone to do their promotion - they have Steven running about like a nutcase trying to do everything, but I think his job is to book bands, not to promote shows. Tunnels and Drummonds seem to be content with sticking posters up in their own venues, and I never hear what's on at Cellar 35....

Snafu has a good regular e-mail bulletin and do a lot of social networking type advertising

:popcorn:

Moshulu have employed someone since January to do promotion for 20 hours a week.

I don't walk past the LT every day, I don't read the P&J every day or The Skinny when it comes out - in fact, I've not even seen The Skinny at all.

And as for MySpace (or Bebo or Facebook), I just can't be arsed with any of them.

Maybe the problem isn't just the LT - maybe it is other venues as well. Yeah, everythings there if you go looking for it - but how can you look for something that you don't know exists?

How hard is it for all these places to send an email out to a mailing list every week? Surely the LT still have the email addresses for all teh customers tehy sent books to? And everytime I've been I've been in Moshulu there's been someone with a clipboard that's asked for an email adress but I've never had anything from them.

Fair play to The Tunnels & SNAFU for sending one out - albeit on a monthly basis in the tunnels case (I'm away to sign up for the SNAFU one).

Not everyone is in town every day & not everyone has the time to go looking every venues websites - I just feel the standards of advertising gigs has slipped recently & everyones has excuses as to why.

I don't walk past the LT every day, I don't read the P&J every day or The Skinny when it comes out - in fact, I've not even seen The Skinny at all.

And as for MySpace (or Bebo or Facebook), I just can't be arsed with any of them.

Maybe the problem isn't just the LT - maybe it is other venues as well. Yeah, everythings there if you go looking for it - but how can you look for something that you don't know exists?

How hard is it for all these places to send an email out to a mailing list every week? Surely the LT still have the email addresses for all teh customers tehy sent books to? And everytime I've been I've been in Moshulu there's been someone with a clipboard that's asked for an email adress but I've never had anything from them.

Fair play to The Tunnels & SNAFU for sending one out - albeit on a monthly basis in the tunnels case (I'm away to sign up for the SNAFU one).

Not everyone is in town every day & not everyone has the time to go looking every venues websites - I just feel the standards of advertising gigs has slipped recently & everyones has excuses as to why.

Moshulu clipboard people - they work for the bands / record companies - not us.

They are usually two keen young pups who want to help the band out / have won something through myspace or are working for the band.

i would use the moshulu myspace if anyone had left me the password when i started working here!

we advertise in the skinny, online, use this forum, posters in town, flyers and have a promo team of two weekend staff plus mike who designs all the materials.

snafu has the best promotion of events ive seen in any club.

they work hard to make sure you always know whats on.

Moshulu clipboard people - they work for the bands / record companies - not us.

They are usually two keen young pups who want to help the band out / have won something through myspace or are working for the band.

i would use the moshulu myspace if anyone had left me the password when i started working here!

we advertise in the skinny, online, use this forum, posters in town, flyers and have a promo team of two weekend staff plus mike who designs all the materials.

snafu has the best promotion of events ive seen in any club.

they work hard to make sure you always know whats on.

I'd take a guess that if you gave Jamesy a call he'd know the password for the Moshulu myspace?

How hard is it for all these places to send an email out to a mailing list every week? Surely the LT still have the email addresses for all teh customers tehy sent books to?

APA do that though. Covering LT, Music Hall and His Majestys.

I think they lost all old mailing list info when it was shut down.

the wee LT magazine was always a great guide to what was forthcoming (Indian Rope Lopez typo aside) but obviously the financial restraints on the venue have curtailed this. The GCG guide was also not bad, although I think I only ever seen one or two issues and not sure what happened to it? I'm never really in town these days to be fair so I have to rely on tinter for my gig listings but surely a monthy LT email would be fairly easy to organise and get up and running (along the lines of the PCL/Ticketweb one I get sent - which is a winner by the way - get on it if you aint already!)

Good scoop getting the DJ gig for Finley Quaye Chris, well done! I'm going to see him in Glasgow for social reasons rather than not wanting to go to the Lemon Tree ha ha.

Good idea putting up a post like this too, just keep em coming once a week and then that'll put an end to those negatrons that latch on to it. :up:

Maybe see you tonight at the tunnels if you're heading there later on!

I've had the website bookmarked for years because of ordering tickets.

It's a bit unweildly to use - the old LT website at least had a big list with links.

I find it fairly easy to use actually - probably not as good as the old LT website, but if you click the LT tab at the top of the website, then hit what's on, the listings are very similar to how it used to be.

But - I'm with you on the mailing list thing. I tried to find it yesterday, and couldn't. I found the "friends" scheme which you have to pay for, in return for discounted tickets - worthwhile if you go to plenty of APA gigs I guess, but it isn't a simple mailing list.

Chris Edit (this facebook thing is really starting to get on my tits):

I think you get added to the APA mailing list once you order a ticket from the box office website. Pretty sure that's how I got onto it.