aberdeen-music

Downfall

paranoid

Sorry, I've obviously gone left at the traffic lights with this one.

This section of the band is to give feedback on bands/gigs. Downfall are a kick ass band, very talented and people should go and see them.

Sorry if I have caused upset here.

thing is your first post was done with good intentions but slagging people off when they are not interested in that kind of music is pointless all you will do is make damm sure they will never even attempt to find out what the band is like.

thing is your first post was done with good intentions but slagging people off when they are not interested in that kind of music is pointless all you will do is make damm sure they will never even attempt to find out what the band is like.

Much like your calling me a "cunt" has made me value your opinion at naught. Goes both ways.

Much like your calling me a "cunt" has made me value your opinion at naught. Goes both ways.

yes but im not trying to get you to come watch me do anything, im not trying to get you to like me or like a band im trying to push, your personal opinion of me is irrelevant, ive been disliked a lot longer than this thread, thats ok tho it doesnt harm a young band trying to get people throught the door where as you could be.

Guest idol_wild
I'm finished with this thread and once again with this forum.

Go see Downfall on Saturday, you won't regret it.

Laters

Because of one or two fellow members?

Where's your resilience, man?

What a ridiculous post. Why would I go out of my way to go and see a metal band when I'm not into metal?

I'm pretty certain this isn't just an Aberdeen thing either. Do you think the rest of the UK is some utopia where people flock from far and wide to go and see bands from genres they don't like? I'm pretty sure there are metal / punk / indie / whatever bands up and down the country wishing they could get a bigger crowd.

I might have still gone to check them out at some point, but I'm not going to now, and it'll be your fault. Run along now.

Would just like to point out that anywhere else in the UK (Cities) there's substantially a bigger population and definetly bigger crowds. What bands in aberdeen need to do is gig elsewhere for bigger crowds. Aberdeen is laughable like a little village when it comes to crowds sometimes. If bands are serious enough then move to London where you are more likely to get noticed AT a gig rather than leaning on the old myspace/internet trick that every other band does.

Also someone mentioned Downfall have played alot of gigs this year already... no matter what order they play their songs, change it, add new ones people will have seen them before or are planning too. It was probably the usual bad night that occurs once or twice every month in a busy scheduled bands life.

Would just like to point out that anywhere else in the UK (Cities) there's substantially a bigger population and definetly bigger crowds. What bands in aberdeen need to do is gig elsewhere for bigger crowds. Aberdeen is laughable like a little village when it comes to crowds sometimes. If bands are serious enough then move to London where you are more likely to get noticed AT a gig rather than leaning on the old myspace/internet trick that every other band does.

Also someone mentioned Downfall have played alot of gigs this year already... no matter what order they play their songs, change it, add new ones people will have seen them before or are planning too. It was probably the usual bad night that occurs once or twice every month in a busy scheduled bands life.

the same could be said of any city tho really. I remeber when bands and promoters really made the effort up here and bands like Point/Stayover, Quik, Edgarliberwish, The Score, Driveblind would pack out any venue. I only mention my bands because we did actually make a small effort and the rewards were huge in terms of crowds coming to see us. Nowadays its different, things change i guess and the mediums people use to promote change but i feel this kinda ties in with the Lemon Tree thread. 4 years ago you knew what gigs were going on up here weeks before, there were posters, fliers and shit everywhere, but today people tend to rely on myspace/bebo/facebook or whatever social networking site you use but dont seem to want to go onto union street on a sat afternoon handing out fliers and free cds. I can easily guess which one would work better in attracting new people to your gigs. Aberdeen has got shit loads of people who would love gigs, if they knew about them and people can say "well there are heaps of places for them to find out" but people are lazy and need to be shunted in the right direction they just wont do it on their own and until bands really start trying to promote themselves again the crowds will never get any better.

You get busy and sparse gigs everywhere. I've seen dead gigs in London and Paris and completely rammed gigs in Aberdeen and Dundee. Get a grip.

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments. I think we have gotten lazy on the promotion side of things, no one to blame but ourselves, but it's something we're going to work on.

We tend to look at music in terms of if folk are good at what they do and play something that matters to them then it doesn't really matter what genre it is. Obviously people like certain types of music and stuff but in my own experience my taste changed quite a lot as I grew up and now I try and have an open mind towards all music.

We've played with a lot of different types of bands over the past couple of years and you can always tell if they are playing from within (sounds a bit gay I know lol).

We always try and get down the front and listen to the bands we play with. You get enough shit in this world without turning on fellow musicians.

Oh and sorry to dead metal for missing there set on Tuesday, a couple of us were working and we couldn't get there til later.

Hopefully see you at the moorings on Saturday.

Cheers.

You get busy and sparse gigs everywhere. I've seen dead gigs in London and Paris and completely rammed gigs in Aberdeen and Dundee. Get a grip.

Get a grip?

Do you think im talking nonsense? I'm from London, I've toured up and down the UK 4 times in 3 different bands since the age of 16. I've worked with various promoters and done promotion myself for other bands in some of the sparsest places in Scotland not to mention worked and helped up and coming Scottish artists on a Channel 4 based project a few years back looking into understanding the blatent obvious.

Yes you get crammed gigs pretty much everywhere, but its not something you can expect all the time, hence why this topic was started no?

Don't ask me to get a grip, I'm perfectly fine thanks.:finger:

Get a grip?

Do you think im talking nonsense? I'm from London, I've toured up and down the UK 4 times in 3 different bands since the age of 16. I've worked with various promoters and done promotion myself for other bands in some of the sparsest places in Scotland not to mention worked and helped up and coming Scottish artists on a Channel 4 based project a few years back looking into understanding the blatent obvious.

Yes you get crammed gigs pretty much everywhere, but its not something you can expect all the time, hence why this topic was started no?

Don't ask me to get a grip, I'm perfectly fine thanks.:finger:

I thought this thread was started in a weird attempt to drum up promotion for a band someone likes.

You're from LONDON?!!! Do you know all the record company people? Can I have a million bucks?

To bring up an earlier point of yours - the idea that if you're 'serious' as a band, then you should move to London, made me vomit blood all over my laptop until it blew up like a bonfire night fireworks display. Thought you'd like to know.

I thought this thread was started in a weird attempt to drum up promotion for a band someone likes.

You're from LONDON?!!! Do you know all the record company people? Can I have a million bucks?

To bring up an earlier point of yours - the idea that if you're 'serious' as a band, then you should move to London, made me vomit blood all over my laptop until it blew up like a bonfire night fireworks display. Thought you'd like to know.

1. It was indeed started that way but as you can see it went downhill.

2. Yes I'm from London, some and no. I fail to see how the fact I'm from somewhere else means I must be minted. Do you depict me different somehow?

3. Bands generally DO move to London, set up new lives etc etc. ALL THE TIME, not even bands just musicians with the intentions of doing so. This is because the outlet and means exists in the capital. The ACM is the biggest producer for bands, writers and peformers alike for example. Majority of established record labels and industry providing releations are all situated in London. Its not rocket science.

I hope you didn't burn your face too much.

It's cool dude, I take it your not so serious, play the music you love and have the internetz to do the promoting for you.

1. It was indeed started that way but as you can see it went downhill.

2. Yes I'm from London, some and no. I fail to see how the fact I'm from somewhere else means I must be minted. Do you depict me different somehow?

3. Bands generally DO move to London, set up new lives etc etc. ALL THE TIME, not even bands just musicians with the intentions of doing so. This is because the outlet and means exists in the capital. The ACM is the biggest producer for bands, writers and peformers alike for example. Majority of established record labels and industry providing releations are all situated in London. Its not rocket science.

I hope you didn't burn your face too much.

It's cool dude, I take it your not so serious, play the music you love and have the internetz to do the promoting for you.

I think Scott meant... Oooooooh, you're from London.. in a, put the backs of your hands on the sides of your face and wiggle your fingers / Chewin' The Fat stylee, sorta way.

You are coming across a bit high and mighty, considering the bands you are in... and the fact that, well, you're in Aberdeen? London ain't the shit and never will be the shit. I could name quite a few bands who are on labels. That have probably never even been to London... in a band capacity at least. Thought you woulda known better than that dude!!

Not to disagree with the point that musicians/bands do make the pilgrimage. Whether it does them any good is entirely debatable.

I think Scott meant... Oooooooh, you're from London.. in a, put the backs of your hands on the sides of your face and wiggle your fingers / Chewin' The Fat stylee, sorta way.

You are coming across a bit high and mighty, considering the bands you are in... and the fact that, well, you're in Aberdeen? London ain't the shit and never will be the shit. I could name quite a few bands who are on labels. That have probably never even been to London... in a band capacity at least. Thought you woulda known better than that dude!!

Not to disagree with the point that musicians/bands do make the pilgrimage. Whether it does them any good is entirely debatable.

Ok Baz, since when is spouting nothing but facts being high and mighty because of what bands I'm in!? That makes no sense. That's like saying hey I play for Bournemouth United yet I know if I want to play at a bigger club right now I have to move... yet your kinda insulting my knowledge as if that fact is false.....

Yeah I'm in Aberdeen and so are you... but for the music? I'm not. If it must be known I stopped playing altogether 4 years ago when I lived in Belfast. I lost all enthusiasm for it and since moving to Aberdeen I was prodded, so decided to pick it up aslong as I enjoy it and dont feel pressure im cool with that.

I couldn't grasp the second half of that paragraph.

"I could name quite a few bands who are on labels." - oook.

"That have probably never even been to London... in a band capacity at least. Thought you woulda known better than that dude!!"

I deducted that these two sentences are a result of bad grammar, otherwise I am sorry I did not know that 'that' or whom had not been to London in a band capacity. For whom it may concern I don't actually know if I should know them either. My bad as they say.

Agree with you on the debate of moving, its expensive, you need back up, determination. And yes I got how and what way Scott meant it. Shock an English bloke in Scotland. "Get a grip"!? lol

Anyway, before this goes way off or someone else comes in on their high horse what I said in my first post in this thread wasn't in anyway flying off topic pointing out a couple of facts. Cities with larger populations generally don't have that much of a problem with venues being filled up. It's not about filling up a venue its what bands are playing and as we established, Downfall aren't doing themselves favours playing ALL the time. They will be playing in a venue with excellent promotion and is hardly empty this saturday night. One man and a box could play there and it still wouldn't be empty.

And then moving on to what I said about bands moving to London to further their careers as musicians must have been the most ludicrus idea to you guys. Probably too far. Perhaps I should get a grip and stop being a dick?!

thought i'd just like to point out the fucking obvious that rf scott is in a band based in stonehaven of all places which is having more success than thousands of bands in london. the whole moving to london thing is a fallacy. yea it puts you closer to record companies(if that's who you want to be close to) but it also puts you into an incredibly crowded and oversaturated marketplace. bands from london fail just as much as bands from anywhere else.

much better is to work hard, write songs you love and stop worrying about getting 'signed' or 'noticed'.

i thought id quote this again because its so much rubbish.

Ive played gigs to over 300 people in this little village, where else in britain would i have had that chance considering how small and insugnificant my bands have been. Ive played a month of fridays packed out full in the moorings. One of my bands also got offered an album deal having only played the village halls aberdeen has.

Im not saying i or my bands were good btw im just pointing out what your saying is bollocks.

Why would you have to move to have a chance of "making" it? Its the same backwards thinking thats being going around for years, weapon have proved that with a bit of work it doesnt matter a fuck where you are based and you certainly dont have to be based in London. Infact someone name me a good band to come out of London in the past 5 years.

• Upvote 1