aberdeen-music

Shane MacGowan in Aberdeen??

Trips

To counteract what I'd said earlier I'd heard from the same sources as Biz (well came second hand from Chiz who is pals with Shane and also from one of Shane's minders or something like that) that it was DEFINITELY going ahead and was not a hoax.

Although its neither here nor there now as he missed his flight, as did the Dubliners I think, so for whatever reason, is not playing Fitzpatricks bar tonight :down:

My sincerest apologies to everyone who popped in for a look... dunno what happened in the end, but I got fed up waiting for Shane, and even though slightly miffed at letting so many people down,and spending so much dosh on texts and phone calls, not to mention the hours of attending to e mails - asking for confirmation, I informed the barman upstairs that some dick had filled the urinal full of bog roll - what a shiity stunt to pull, it would have flooded the bar if left unattended... grrr... yeah yeah, I know some dicks said the gig widnae go ahead and threatened to trash the place... BUT, crap like that is really annoying and un called for, so I eventually gave up and went to see Hugh Cornwell in The Lemon Tree which was thankfully just round the corner, and as usual a great night oot - apart from the rediculous booking fee, which is a load of bollocks - 15 is well enough dosh without the added supplementary fee for no apparent reason - robbing fuckers, but Hugh and his tasty bass player were ace, and if I was gay I widnae have had any problem trying to get off with the drummer, and if I was 20 years younger the bass player would have got it at least twice... but I fancied a pint in drummonds and a kebab oot o The Buttery, so she will have to wait till the time travel thing is sorted afore I taste her kebab.

My sincerest apologies to everyone who popped in for a look... dunno what happened in the end, but I got fed up waiting for Shane, and even though slightly miffed at letting so many people down,and spending so much dosh on texts and phone calls, not to mention the hours of attending to e mails - asking for confirmation, I informed the barman upstairs that some dick had filled the urinal full of bog roll - what a shiity stunt to pull, it would have flooded the bar if left unattended... grrr... yeah yeah, I know some dicks said the gig widnae go ahead and threatened to trash the place... BUT, crap like that is really annoying and un called for, so I eventually gave up and went to see Hugh Cornwell in The Lemon Tree which was thankfully just round the corner, and as usual a great night oot - apart from the rediculous booking fee, which is a load of bollocks - 15 is well enough dosh without the added supplementary fee for no apparent reason - robbing fuckers, but Hugh and his tasty bass player were ace, and if I was gay I widnae have had any problem trying to get off with the drummer, and if I was 20 years younger the bass player would have got it at least twice... but I fancied a pint in drummonds and a kebab oot o The Buttery, so she will have to wait till the time travel thing is sorted afore I taste her kebab.

Biz...The gig was never happening. Ever. :up:

• Upvote 1

Nicked from another forum

X gave me a text last night to say she was speaking to the bouncers, and the owner is about to go bankrupt, he done the same with a gig in England or something last week and no Shane.

The boy has previous for doing this!

Somebody is lying here about Shane appearing and then making it worse by then lying their way out of it. And Biz is either very naive or has some sort of vested interest in the whole thing or is trying his hardest to hide his gullibilty.

A quick search of the 'net throws up this review of The Pogues - with Shane - in Florida on Saturday night....

Culture Industry: The Pogues in south Florida

Sunday, March 08, 2009

The Pogues in south Florida

You needn't have known me long to find out that I'm something of a rabid Pogues fan, have been for the past 20-odd years or so. Strangely enough, I've never seen the band in concert, tho I did catch singer Shane MacGowan on his tour for The Snake back in 1997 or so a disspiriting show, in which John Doe of X opened to a frankly uninterested crowd & Shane himself delivered a 45-minute, slurred & disoriented set.

The Pogues, who've been performing "reunion" tours with their classic 8-member lineup over the past 9 years or so, were scheduled to play at this weekend's Langerado Festival in Miami; I wanted to go, but didn't want to pony up the massive ticket price, so it was almost a relief when the entire festival was cancelled. Not good for the Florida music scene, certainly, but it relieved me of a big financial dilemma ($150 for one band). Shane & the boys, however, seem to have already booked their tickets & shipped their gear, for about two weeks ago I discovered they had rescheduled to the Pompano Beach Amphitheatre (dig ye olde Englishe spelling, typical around here), where we saw them last night in all their aged glory. (Promotion could have been a bit better the turnout was frankly pretty embarassing, giving rise to Spinal Tap in Marineland jokes in the half hour before the band took the stage.)

Shane is as drunken & disoriented as ever: he began the set by with a bit of slurred raving about how glad he was to be in "Miami, My Mammy!," & quoting (I take it) some lines from Scarface. He moves like an old man needing hip replacement surgery, paunchy, his cheeks sunken from his lack of teeth. One could understand only every 3rd of 4th word of his between-songs banter. But his singing, while worlds away from the magnificent bellow of the band's heyday, was remarkably assured. And the band itself is better than ever. Okay, there's a suspicious number of shaved pates among the band members; and sure, they've more or less become an "oldies" attraction, since they haven't written any new songs since 1996: but they have a wonderfully rich repertoire to draw on, & played a scorching set of selections from their five classic MacGowan-fronted albums. As players, they're sharper & more precise than ever.

I was particularly taken with Terry Woods, the cittern/mandolin player (picture above, in the band's heyday). Woods was brought into the band in 1986, for the EP Poguetry in Motion; he was about 10 years older than the other members of the band, having played in a number of 1970s folk-rock outfits (he was with Andy Irvine & Johnny Moynihan in the influential Sweeney's Men, and a founding member of Steeleye Span). Woods brought a level of instrumental competence to the group, especially in playing the tunes & ornamentations of traditional celtic dance music, far beyond that of most of the rest of them: where the Pogues had been an accordian-driven group, now they were an accordian & cittern-driven outfit.

The cittern fascinated me when I saw it cradled in Woods's arms on the photo from If I Should Fall From Grace With God, and when I heard him play it. (Woods's "cittern" is an 8-stringed, 4-course instrument, tuned an octave down from a mandolin it's essentially identical to what in current circles is called an octave mandolin or Irish bouzouki.) I had to have one, & had to learn to play it. Which I sort of did, & still do I now have at least 3 citternish instruments around the house, and can bash out most of the Pogues's repertoire in my own fumbling fashion.

At 62, Woods remains the linch-pin of the group: if anything, his playing is even more fiery & exciting than it was back in 1989. He's an inspiration to all balding, aging bouzouki players everywhere. And the Pogues, I'd say to anyone who's in the neighborhood for their upcoming Atlanta, DC, Boston, & New York shows, are better in person than they've ever been.

For true analites, the set list, in blurrily remembered order:

Streams of Whiskey

If I Should Fall from Grace With God

Turkish Song of the Damned

A Pair of Brown Eyes

Repeal of the Licensing Laws (an instrumental, Shane's first break)

The Broad Majestic Shannon

Sayonara

Cotton Fields

Bottle of Smoke

Tuesday Morning (sung by Spider Stacy, Shane's second break)

Sunnyside of the Street

The Body of an American

Lullaby of London

The Sickbed of Chuchulain

Thousands Are Sailing (sung by Phil Chevron, Shane's third break)

Sally Maclennane

A Rainy Night in Soho

Dirty Old Town

Poor Paddy

The Irish Rover

Fiesta

This is NOT a hoax .

Shane and 3 of the The Dubliners will be playing in Aberdeen on Saturday 7th March 2009 at Fitzpatricks bar in Little John Street.

I spoke to Chiz from the Brogues - he is mates with Shane and said it is true.

How many times do you need told ? - this IS actually happening - if you dinna belive me, go to the bar and check it oot
Pity there's so much negativity on here.

I like the bar, I used to go there to hear bands and DJs years ago.

I even did a gig there once.

I like the layout .

The Dubliners are ace, I saw them in The Music Hall years ago..

Shane will nae doot be intoxicated, but he always gives a terrific performance and his lyrics are excellent.

I do not appreciate the comments about vandalising the bar, you may be joking, but I doubt the police will find the comments very amusing.

I wish the bar well and am sure it will be a cracking evening.

You sir, are a clown of the highest order. More worrying than your bullshit about Shane MacGowan however is your thinly veiled threat of police action over comments on this site (the second example of this on this site in a week after the first in the Wifebeater thread?). :moody:

I have loads of experience of speaking shite .

Finally, you get somethinfg right. :up:

Anyhoo, back to Shane, I was in Dublin in 2004 and he was doing a signing at Tower Records for some god awful tribute record to Jinky Johnstone that he'd done with Jim "Juan" Kerr.

Wisely I sidestepped that one and got him to sign a Pogues CD instead, here's the results, pretty good considering he was bleezing at the time:

2622_52834077363_573972363_1478756_3177883_n.jpg

2622_52834082363_573972363_1478757_8236821_n.jpg

Shane No Show

Worrying that Darren needed to "relaunch" a pub that he only opened 3 months ago... As expected the Dubliners and Shane MacGowan were a no show- according to Mr Carroll they missed their flight from Dublin to Aberdeen... interestingly according to the Aberdeen Airport website there isn't a flight from Dublin to Aberdeen on a Saturday... Put on a show for the people of Aberdeen he certainly did... a show of himself. AGAIN ;)

Biz

I dont understand Biz...blabbin on about legal action and all this shit. Who exactly are you like? You make out like your Darrens legal advisor, then all of a sudden 'oh, I dont know hwat happened so I went to the Lemon Tree'.

I think the only legal action happening here will be a radio station going to court for its money its due to advertise an event that was complete fabrication.

Shane Macgowan & the dubliners..HAHAHAHA. He could sell out the music hall at 35 a ticket. Why bother sitting on a stage that 2 x 2 foot for free. And hes a heavy drinker, Fitzpatricks is ususally out of stock ;)

I'd really like to hear what someone from Fitzpatricks has got to say about the matter but as far as it goes right now, I think the only police involvement should be against the owner. He surely benefited from tons of people going down to see if he was there on Saturday and paying for an overpriced pint when in hindsight they'd rather have been elsewhere.