aberdeen-music

Shane MacGowan in Aberdeen??

Trips

But its not the pogues that are due to play.

Yeah, kinda aware of that thanks. If Bob Mould was playing in some pub, I'd go because Husker Du are generally fucking ace. However, I'd be more than aware that Husker Du wouldn't actually be playing. It's pretty simple to grasp really.

Another example would be those signings in Forbidden Planet. People go along BECAUSE the dude is in Buffy the Vampire Slayer or whatever, but they're (hopefully) aware that they're not going to be seeing the TV show being made, but instead one element of a bigger whole that they like.

Another example would be those signings in Forbidden Planet. People go along BECAUSE the dude is in Buffy the Vampire Slayer or whatever, but they're (hopefully) aware that they're not going to be seeing the TV show being made, but instead one element of a bigger whole that they like.

And, obviously, to meet a real live VAMPIRE

:bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat::bat:

• Upvote 1

According to the official Pogues website:

The Medusa Fora • View topic - Live Shows FAQ

Shane definitley plays whenever The Pogues play.

Furthermore:

The Pogues: In the wake of the Medusa

The front page of their official website confirms that they will be playing in Florida tomorrow.

So I call bullshit.

Still, would seem like good fun to go down to this pub on Saturday as surely people will be well within their rights to riot and smash the place up when they realise they've been duped.

I've only been in once but it was just 3 members of Cobra Kai, some old lush at the bar, and a barman. Totally dead. The place has the same problem it had when it was the Student Union, it just has absolutely no atmosphere. It's a nice big bar in a good location but there's just something that puts people off going in, I can't put my finger on it... it might be the decor, or the layout or something. It doesn't feel very "homely" like say Filthy McNasty or O'Neills or even the Tilted Wig, it's just like a big open space with some sofas stuck in the middle of it.

It's a terrible bar. As has been pointed out earlier, they're playing Florida tomorrow!! As yes, Shane always plays with the Pogues these days.

Anzie is suggesting 'Darren' will take legal action on anyone saying this gig will go ahead, but its on the Pogues OFFICAL website, for which you can buy tickets for the gig here - The Pogues Concert Tickets - Pompano Beach Amphitheatre in Pompano Beach, FL - A gig in Florida, on the same day this is supposed to happen...o_O

It wouldn't suprise me if the bar manager is basing this booking on a verbal agreement with Shane...which I'd say isn't usually the most reliable thing in the world.

I will say though he's done crazier things, and not joining the band for the start of a tour isn't exactly without precedent. But I just can't see him fucking off a tour to play a bar in Aberdeen.

That said, if I'm back from the footy in time I may nip in and I really hope I end up having to eat my words.

I know on good authority that its NOT happening, as matthew says - shane is in america.

someone may get in trouble for this from what ive heard - pr stunt or not - the powers that be seem to know about it and are trying to contact the source.

i had a shane encounter...

we played a gig in a bar called boogaloo - he lives upstairs from it.

john from the libertines organised it for us after we supported his new band in tunnels and joked that when we arrived macgowan would likely be passed out in the bar somewhere.

arrived for soundcheck and he was asleep on the setee in front of the stage - totally koed.

he slept through two soundchecks, two full band sets a fight or two, stayed asleep while the pub filled up to capacity and then as the last orders bell rang he got up and finished his pint looking slightly bemused at all the activity that had surrounded him.

i think our drummer bobb noised him up for a bit, dont think he got much out of him.

x

The repuation of the place now rests on this......if Shane & some of the Dubliners play then it's a hearty "well done!" to the bar owner for making it happen (and I will maybe then visit the place sometime in the near future). If, for any reason, Shane and/or various Dubliners don't play then I'll boycott it, on the assumption the owners are grasping mini-mafia types intent on duping us into visiting their failing watering hole.

Time will tell.

You'd never get this kind of stunt from the Hen Hoose :up:

Pity there's so much negativity on here.

I like the bar, I used to go there to hear bands and DJs years ago.

I even did a gig there once.

I like the layout .

The Dubliners are ace, I saw them in The Music Hall years ago..

Shane will nae doot be intoxicated, but he always gives a terrific performance and his lyrics are excellent.

I do not appreciate the comments about vandalising the bar, you may be joking, but I doubt the police will find the comments very amusing.

I wish the bar well and am sure it will be a cracking evening.

He can still play in Aberdeen and make it too Florida you know... and in time.

You reckon he could finish a gig in Aberdeen, fly to London, get a plane to Miami, go through immigration etc etc and then get taken the 50 or so miles to Pampona Beach in time to do an outdoor show?

I think I'll have some of what you are on.

I really can't see this going ahead and have to agree with what Alan Cynic has said. If it transpires the guy who runs Fitzpatricks has lied for cheap publicity then a lot of people, well those that even know where it is, will boycott it and it will go down the pan.

You reckon he could finish a gig in Aberdeen, fly to London, get a plane to Miami, go through immigration etc etc and then get taken the 50 or so miles to Pampona Beach in time to do an outdoor show?

I think I'll have some of what you are on.

I really can't see this going ahead and have to agree with what Alan Cynic has said. If it transpires the guy who runs Fitzpatricks has lied for cheap publicity then a lot of people, well those that even know where it is, will boycott it and it will go down the pan.

It is unlikely but still do-able. 8 hours behind a 4-5 hour trip, would be tight!

It may not be Fitzpatricks at fault though. Remember a few years ago when The Misfits were booked for Moshulu but it was a hoax booking agent and never were booked? (or something like that).

Fitzpatricks doesn't look very Irish though for an Irish bar. Not that I'm saying it appears any less trustworthy. I'm not sure whether to show up tomorrow for this or not. I would kick myself at missing at this but at the same time, I was planning on doing uni work (you can always tell when I've got a lot of uni work cos I post more often on here to avoid facing the inevitable)...tough decisions. Both sides of the argument seem so certain!