aberdeen-music

Peaceful protestors 'shut down' Aberdeen Airport

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Well, according to their site anyway. I was there about 10 minutes ago and all I could see was a banner hung from the roof that said "Nae Trump games with climate change".

Their site also links to this Flikr page

3321917831_e853c63650.jpg?v=0

She can protest me. Protest me all night long!

Had to laugh this morning at their spokesman squirming when asked his views on the case of a woman from Shetland being unable to access vital cancer treatment in Aberdeen today because her flight was cancelled.

He was also trying to link the airport expansion in with Trump, which is total bullshit. I'm no fan of either scheme, but the expansion has been planned for ages, long before Trump came on the scene.

Had to laugh this morning at their spokesman squirming when asked his views on the case of a woman from Shetland being unable to access vital cancer treatment in Aberdeen today because her flight was cancelled.

He was also trying to link the airport expansion in with Trump, which is total bullshit. I'm no fan of either scheme, but the expansion has been planned for ages, long before Trump came on the scene.

I didn't hear the interview, but it seems Trump backs the expansion and of course it's then probably beneficial for them to try and work that angle.

Don't bank on that - There was a very long period where it was obvious that someone had plans for Menie but we had no idea who.

Equally, if the rumours I'm hearing turn out to be true, Trump may well have a direct involvement in the airport expansion. ;)

Don't bank on that - There was a very long period where it was obvious that someone had plans for Menie but we had no idea who.

Equally, if the rumours I'm hearing turn out to be true, Trump may well have a direct involvement in the airport expansion. ;)

Yeah yeah yeah, I heard a rumour, can't reveal my sources, my mate works at the council, brown envelopes etc etc etc.

All this conspiracy theory bullshit and innuendo that can't be backed up in fact simply undermines the credibility of the very many valid environmental arguments against the airport expansion.

The fact is that Trump doesn't need a bigger airport (or indeed a golf course for that matter) to sell lots of big houses and that's all he really wants to do.

Airport expansion is happening all over the place, and it would be happening in Aberdeen with or without Trump.

Funnilly enough, this did not come from within the council. ;) But it is only one of the more minor concerns FTM, you are right about there being much more pressing arguments.

Yes, provision for the runway extension has been there since the 70's expansion - that was probably only a matter of time.

Well, according to their site anyway. I was there about 10 minutes ago and all I could see was a banner hung from the roof that said "Nae Trump games with climate change".

Their site also links to this Flikr page

3321917831_e853c63650.jpg?v=0

She can protest me. Protest me all night long!

She's protest the amount of cheese on my knob and then I'd bone her ass so hard she'd actually die which would be a good thing coz hippies are whack.

• Upvote 3

From IMC

After almost six hours the Plane Stupid Scotland's action at Aberdeen airport ended with the protesters voluntarily unlocking themselves from their blockade. The eleven people, including local residents that this morning breached the airport fence have now been arrested. The protesters were told by police to dismantle their peaceful protest because the taxiway they were secured to was needed by an emergency helicopter. A baby apparently required urgent treatment, and any other approach would cause delays. Obviously the safety of the public was of paramount concern to the activists and so they duly removed themselves....

Plane Stupid has subsequently spoken to both the Accident and Emergency unit of Aberdeen hospital, and its press department. They were unaware of any transfers requested by air this morning. Not only that, but spokesperson Lesley Middleton said:

"We have our own helipad which we use in emergencies. Of course you can't anticipate what may happen, but in all my years of working here I can't think of a time when we've used Aberdeen airport. The only circumstances I can imagine where we'd need to get access to the area would be if there was an accident at the airport."

The protesters are now looking into the conduct of the police and are considering making a complaint.

Interesting?

I notice they all travelled up from Glasgow, Edinburgh and England to protest...

I take it they all walked up here in order to preserve their carbon footprints?

I really hope the family who missed their father's funeral or the oil rig workers who are stuck on their rig for another day bump into this sorry bunch on their way out of court. They were even playing golf with plastic toy clubs; Bet they didn't recycle them after their little bit of fun today.

If they try that nonsense when i'm catching flights to Japan and Oslo in the summer, they can expect my carbon footprint to be forceably ejecting them from the roof of the airport :swearing:

I notice they all travelled up from Glasgow, Edinburgh and England to protest...

I take it they all walked up here in order to preserve their carbon footprints?

I really hope the family who missed their father's funeral or the oil rig workers who are stuck on their rig for another day bump into this sorry bunch on their way out of court. They were even playing golf with plastic toy clubs; Bet they didn't recycle them after their little bit of fun today.

If they try that nonsense when i'm catching flights to Japan and Oslo in the summer, they can expect my carbon footprint to be forceably ejecting them from the roof of the airport :swearing:

cars are nothing compared to aviation fuel though.

cars are nothing compared to aviation fuel though.

So they are the equivelant of vegetarians that eat a little bit of meat every now and again?

All or nothing I say!! :up:

Top anti-aviation activist secretly FLIES to airport protest in New York | Mail Online

Funny how they all manage to get tuesday off work... oh wait...

I'm being a bit grumpy today I think :love:

• Upvote 1

From IMC

Interesting?

The guy on the radio never said it was emergency treatment, try the listen again feature if you're that bothered about the incident I was referring to.

Comical that these clowns were duped into moving by such a simple ruse though, Swampy they clearly aint.

They report it here:

Airport managing director Kevin Brown said one of the key concerns for staff had been to ensure the departure of an air ambulance.

He said the flight, bound for Inverness, had been held up by the protesters, but not for a "significant" length of time.

A Plane Stupid spokesperson said the group left voluntarily on public safety grounds after being informed of the needs of the paediatric team on board.

A Scottish Ambulance Service spokesperson confirmed: "We received an urgent request for a paediatric team in a fixed wing aircraft to travel from Aberdeen to Inverness to attend to an ill baby. The flight was able to depart Aberdeen airport after a slight delay."

BBC NEWS | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Nine charged over airport protest

I suppose we will just have to wait & see what comes out in the wash.

And yes, I heard the cancer paitent thing on the radio as well. Again, how verifiable is that, either way?

And yes, I heard the cancer paitent thing on the radio as well. Again, how verifiable is that, either way?

Whether or not it's true is irrelevant IMO. The important thing is that it COULD be true.

As I've said, I'm against the expansion but this is a fucking stupid way of protesting against it.

Comical that these clowns were duped into moving by such a simple ruse though, Swampy they clearly aint.

Dunno, they had had a good few hours, caused a degree of disruption & got their cause widespread coverage in the media - With a lot of outraged squealing along the way.

Sounds like a pretty successful action to me? Even if they did come over like a load of incoherent, overprivileged kids.

Incidentally, what's the reasoning behind being against the expansion?

Ryanair have publicly said that they won't consider Aberdeen for any other use until BAA extend the runway, and I'm pretty sure other operators are thinking along the same lines. Okay, expansion or no expansion, we probably won't see Aberdeen-North America flights - but 300m extra will make a fair bit of difference when it comes to the viability of Aberdeen-Europe flights.

They would be far better off protesting against the ridiculous flights operated from Manchester-Heathrow for instance - especially as these are using jets.

Dunno, they had had a good few hours, caused a degree of disruption & got their cause widespread coverage in the media - With a lot of outraged squealing along the way.

Sounds like a pretty successful action to me? Even if they did come over like a load of incoherent, overprivileged kids.

Sounds like the exact opposite to me, for the very reason you just stated, how they came over. Disruption & media coverage does not necessarily equal success, surely? Not if the whole country now sees them as "incoherent, overprivileged kids" who delayed an 'ambulance flight' by arsing about with toy golf clubs. How is that successful?

Some view any sort of publicity as good and they are as entitled to support their cause in their way as we are to any of ours IMO.

Besides no matter how misguided, a bit of principled mayhem is no bad thing occasionally, especially up here where too much protest/opposition tends to the earnest/worthy & gets stomped for it. :)

Also, the part of me that was running NIREX and other nuke interests ragged 20-odd years ago might just be saying "Well-done guys!" ;):D

Incidentally, what's the reasoning behind being against the expansion?

Mainly so they can run transatlantic widebody services IIRC. Aberdeen-Houston has long been a stated objective of certain interests here. IIRC, their is/was a campaign group plugging the route.

Then there is also the airfreight interest. Which is quite high IIRC.