aberdeen-music

imp: Joe Gideon & The Shark + Tupelo Town Assembly + Amy Sawers @ The Tunnels

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the plaudits continue to come-in The Organ Album of the week this week

So if you are looking for some interesting music tonight pop into T1 for something

which will be quite special

ALBUM OF THE WEEK*

JOE GIDEON & THE SHARK Harum Scarum (Bronzebat) London based brother and sister duo, they were once in Bikini Atoll, theyve recently been seen touring with both Seasick Steve and Nick Cave that combination of names will tell you quite a bit. Nine slices of low-slung edgy blues and a whole lot more... Blues drenched in delicate feedback and tales of flat pancake worlds, painters, arsonists and seeds of doubt that get hold of things and grow in to trees. The world isnt flat, whatever you may have been told the world is not flat. A writer, a singer (a fishmonger, a dogmatic film maker), learning the ways, meeting queens late night over at Clapham, wasting a morning selling another mans shoes.... Theyve learnt a lot and they have it all here on this fine album. This is good, she must be the shark, they dont really sound like anyone else do they? This is good... This is good, this is letting wild dogs lick your face good, the true nature of proper low slung blues good, this is a challenging edge and hitting the road cause theres no place like home. And they can be delicate and sensitive as well, thats waiting for you once you get further in and work out theyre not just a flat earth PJ Harvey/Nick Cave type blues band. Kathy Ray is a piece of gliding glistening beauty - a very fine song that stands out on a very fine album. An album alive with the spirit of The Birthday Party, Johnny Cash, dare we say the spirit Dream City Film Club had back there for a little bit? Kathy Ray builds to something really wonderfully wonderfully good. What we like about this is the way is smells, the clothes it wears, that curly hair and those games of hide and seek they play, we like the justice of the holes in to which those songs lure us - some kind of mantrap and a whole hole covered in fuzz and when I think about it now, far more that just lost in a game - things worn on sleeves and easily to make believe. And then theres the quiet seven minute build up of Anything You Love That Much Will See You Again... really dont want to say anything about that, yeah I know, thats not how to review things, weve told you enough already - music is about mystery and discovery, and all the better for it it is, you got enough on your plate already and this really is something you really should take the time to discover. Everything about this album is good (besides the really not very impressive artwork), were in a good place now, kiss the big beautiful shark. www.myspace.com/joegideonandtheshark

http://www.organart.demon.co.uk/neworgan.htm

ps I will get to kiss the beautiful shark before the gig.....

Guest idol_wild
Youngsters nowadays, no staying power!

I was too busy drinking, taking drugs and having sex over the weekend. By Sunday night, that really catches up with you, y'know.

yep, Joe Gideon were fantastic, i really enjoyed them :up: just listening to the album again now

Tupelo Town Assembly were top notch, look forward to more of that sometime :) and how good were Amy Sawers?! i love the new stuff..

i think drummers should play to the front/side of the stage more often, instead of being hidden at the back! its more interesting, or something :)