aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Sometimes i just want to hug you, then i remember that our body hair would end up locked like Velcro leaving us forever in a homoerotic embrace. Oh, we're naked too...

You can bugger off with that for a start, you deviant.

As non :up: as anything ever in the history of the entire cosmos.

Not :up:

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Hey, I didn't think the shite I was spouting mattered either but you all proved me wrong! The fact that you're getting your knickers in a twist enough to bother responding en masse to my posts tells me that what I say matters. A lot. Result!

Who the fuck hooked a PC up beside her sink?

Hey, I didn't think the shite I was spouting mattered either but you all proved me wrong! The fact that you're getting your knickers in a twist enough to bother responding en masse to my posts tells me that what I say matters. A lot. Result!

Nobody's getting their knickers in a twist Sweedy Pah, it's merely curiosity as to why a 42-year old resorts to personal swipes when called on the utter mince she's spouting.

Don't mistake it for people attaching any importance to what you say. You're a spent force.

:up:

• Upvote 2

Nobody's getting their knickers in a twist Sweedy Pah, it's merely curiosity as to why a 42-year old resorts to personal swipes when called on the utter mince she's spouting.

Don't mistake it for people attaching any importance to what you say. You're a spent force.

:up:

Reputation points given..

As an aside...

The PC police decided that the terms psychopath and sociopath were derogatory and changed them to antisocial personality disorder and dissocial personality disorder respectively.

This is probably the most extreme example of political correctness gone haywire. One of the main symptoms of psychopaths is that THEY DON'T CARE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO FEELINGS.

Well that's presumably why it's know as POLITICAL correctness as opposed to just plain old correctness.

In response to earlier comments in this discussion, it isn't just anarcho punk that has begun to turn away from ethical persuasions - it has been gradually increasing in society for years, and it just so happens that a few anarcho punk bands have decided to follow suit. Its what Richard Ryder (the psychologist not the comedian, in case anyone knows of him!) calls the 'Cult of Machismo' - ie, how it's cool not to care and all that. I guess it just shows even anarcho punks aren't above following the mainstream.

As for the wifebeater controversy, I have read a few posts on the point and am confused as to why people are defending against the fact that it could be seen as an offensive project for any band to take up/lead to influencing young folks views on the subject for the worse. It seems most people on here will take the high ground on freedom of speech, and also admit that domestic abuse is wrong. But is it not obvious how a band making a joke of domestic abuse could be influential upon a young persons mind, even if they don't intend to be? The main defence is that you weren't being serious/wanted to piss a few folks off - well newsflash, a lot of people into the punk scene are folks who take a lot from their music - and it doesn't matter what the intention behind it is, people hearing the songs/attending gigs etc might well take something quite sick away with them. Unfortunately your 'intentions' are not enough to stop this from happening.

And on the subject of how comedians get away with being ironic, well that is exactly what comedians are - people making a living of of such things. (These two froms of performance are different in a number of ways which I would imagine have some relevance here, ie the fact people into music will take a lot of the subject of music into their hearts, such is the nature of this particular artform, whereas the same isn't generally true of comedy) Those comedians that do advocate such extreme violence promoting views, without a hint of irony, or without any back information that it is indeed just an act, are as bad as a band that does the same thing (though no modern comedians like this come to mind). And for me, when I heard of a new band called wife beater (although I must admit I am not as much into anarcho punk as others) i assumed it was a piss take to be honest, but theres not a hint of it being so anywhere, and thats where the danger comes in isn't it. People are easily influenced (as those anarcho punks that have bowed to minimal societal influence to drop ethics from their music have showed) and I can't see how anyone can really defend a band that is undoubtedly going to have this influence, regardless of intentions or the personalities of the guys in the band (who I have never met, but assume are nice enough guys from the posts I have read).

I've seen them live and met them and I've never been struck by 'machismo' from the band- nae offense intended but that's a load of cock, sorry mate. At no point have I ever got the impression that Wifebeater were 'just tryin tae act tough'.

Nothing personal- If you don't know anything about the band other than hearsay, then either take the trouble to find out more first, or don't formulate opinions based on ignorance.

I would disagree with that cheese_dust, we live in a cause and effect world. People aren't evil, they just make choices based on their lives/experiences etc, and occasionally they do bad things - some a lot more than others obviously. If you accidentally influence someone to do something terrible, then you can't really take any massive blame or anything. But if you're ironically preaching that thing, then it is pretty obvious that people can take bad things away with them from it (depending on the situation).

As for wifebeater not being manly or tough or anything, I don't see this as a great issue whether they are or not. Was simply observing the situation, it matters little whether or not they are following mainstream 'cool' opinion or not really. The 'cult of machismo' isn't particularly linked to acting macho in a tough guy way though, it was just something that I thought summed up a certain point on a good deal of modern anarcho punk.

And as for not knowing anything about the band, well I know enough - thats kind of my point. I'm not hugely into them, but I do know of them, and have tried to find out whether it is ironic or not after seeing threads about gigs and stuff - purely for my own interest. And I think the points I've made are pretty valid ones to be honest.

And on the subject of how comedians get away with being ironic, well that is exactly what comedians are - people making a living of of such things. (These two froms of performance are different in a number of ways which I would imagine have some relevance here, ie the fact people into music will take a lot of the subject of music into their hearts, such is the nature of this particular artform, whereas the same isn't generally true of comedy)

So what about the rich tradition of comedic songs? Using your rationale I wouldn't be able to enjoy the likes of Kinky Friedman's They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore (because it's anti-Semitic), Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed (because it's sexist) or even Dylan's Motorpsycho Nightmare (because it promotes Communism) because I love music so much and I will obviously take all of this into my heart and as a result I am unable to appreciate that the authors may have intended to be humorous or ironic. :rolleyes:

So nice try young man, but wide of the mark I'm afraid. Don't you have a sociology lecture or something to go to?

So what about the rich tradition of comedic songs? Using your rationale I wouldn't be able to enjoy the likes of Kinky Friedman's They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore (because it's anti-Semitic), Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed (because it's sexist) or even Dylan's Motorpsycho Nightmare (because it promotes Communism) because I love music so much and I will obviously take all of this into my heart and as a result I am unable to appreciate that the authors may have intended to be humorous or ironic. :rolleyes:

So nice try young man, but wide of the mark I'm afraid. Don't you have a sociology lecture or something to go to?

That's not my rationale - my rationale is if something which isn't clearly ironic promotes domestic violence (or any other discriminatory act) then it is dangerous to some of those taking it on board, especially in a genre in which being different from the mainstream is treasured- and whether you like it or not, that's sound judgement of this situation I believe. I don't know any of those songs that you are talking of, so won't judge, but I'm sure wifebeater aren't the only band in the world that have made this mistake - however I would imagine many bands manage to be ironic without doing so.

And thanks for the patronising comment at the end, but no I am not a student, perhaps you could show a little more respect to polite discussion.