aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Guest Tam o' Shantie
what about my chemical romance..... a band name that could be taken as an affair with drugs and they sing songs about people commiting suicide.

off topic, they should be fucking locked up, because they are fucking shit

I don't think anyone is going to call Crass' politics into question, however:

"They're using skateboards as plastic chairs for legless fuckers....."

and

"I'm no spastic lying in the street"

Dead Kennedy's wrote "Kill the Poor" from the point of view of someone who believed this was the right thing to do to highlight how stupid, over the top and pathetic these views really are.

"Tonights the night that we got the truck;

We're goin' downtown, gonna beat up drunks;

Your turn to drive, I'll bring the beer;

It's the late late shift, no one to fear;

It's roundup time where the good whores meet

Gonna drag one screaming off the street:

And ride, ride, how we ride.

Pull down your dress, here's a kick in the ass;

Lets beat you blue till you shit in your pants

Dont move child, got a big black stick;

There's six of us babe, so suck on my dick"

Yes it's those mysoginistic right wing bigots The Dead Kennedy's again.

I could go on and on quoting anarchist bands dodgy lyrics all night. But I'm not going to because it's pointless as peoples minds are already made up. This thread is not a discussion, merely a load of ignorant opinions by people who haven't got a fucking clue what they're talking about.

At some point 'Anarcho-punk' became middle-class uni-student dropout wanker music more interested in single issue politics like animal rights/ vegan/ hunt-sabbing/ green eco-fascism, than actually addressing real working class politics and sadly the scene has obviously not recovered from it yet. Political correctness is a state sanctioned tool used to divide those who would oppose the status quo. It is easier to fight against an insignificant (sorry WB) DIY punk band than to take on global fascism- Wifebeater aren't going to send the SAS roond yer hoose for some state sanctioned murder. Disagree with me? I don't give a shit.

And my wife thinks Wifebeater were fucking good too- and she's actually seen them live (though she sneaked in instead of paying, the cunt!).

By all means be offended for yourself- but don't presume to talk for all women- that would be supremely arrogant.

I would say 'sorry for the length of this post',

but I'm not.

• Upvote 2

ok rite, im the wifebeater bass player and also one of the prime musicians of the band, ive kept quiet throught any of the forums talking about this band, because of wanting to keep jakes idea of keeping this band ambiguous of our place on our stance on our polotics on our actual beliefs.

i have a beautiful girlfriend that i would give the world for. i have NEVER EVER rised my hand to a girl EVER. and never will. i love my mum more than anything and she would do anything for me ragradeless of how much she offers to help me out but i refuse due to my respect for her and the fact i want to keep my own way.

this band was about pissing people off (im fairly sure we did that).

what happened to when punk was suppost to make people angry

discharge dont sing about neauclear aplocoplpse because they like it (along with endless amounts of bands that did similar things).

i will go to court before i publicly retract my actions with wifebeater. but people should honestly SHUT THE FUCK UP. i dont care about your protests. you can all fucking die.

ok im sorry im still drunk but this is just got me in such a fucking rager, aswell as my girlfriend.

my wee brother killed himself just over a year ago, and its fucking desotryed my family yet i still make jokes about sucide, i have friends who have suffered from domestic abuse who like my band, im sorry but the world is a fucking shithole. if you cant laugh your going to cry. thats all there is to it. face it.

Unfortunately for them, legislation exists to prosecute those accused of inciting hatred towards ANY section of society and whether you like it or not, deriding women and being seen to mock the issues around domestic abuse, not to mention going as far as to advocate the merits of a particular weapon to beat a woman go a long way towards that charge
Surely that's just about every anarcho band in Britain fucked then?

Example: Oi Polloi - Let The Boots Do The Talking (they're even suggesting the weapon!)

it just all seems like taking the easy way to make it look like they are doing something about the actual problem.

"lets blame some small band who cant really fight us back instead of getting off our fat burocratic arses and actually tackling the problem"

It's typical of our MSP's and the fucking goody two shoes PC brigade cunts like those who have posted in this thread. You lot actually think that by banning this band it will make a difference in the bigger picture, its so sad and pathetic that our country or even the world has become like this.

You lot actually think that by banning this band it will make a difference in the bigger picture, its so sad and pathetic that our country or even the world has become like this.

sad and pathetic that our world has become like what?

not necessarily to do with this topic (which i don't have an opinion on), but it often takes an incremental and gradualist approach towards issues to breed any success. what would you do to make a difference to this 'bigger picture'?

sad and pathetic that our world has become like what?

not necessarily to do with this topic (which i don't have an opinion on), but it often takes an incremental and gradualist approach towards issues to breed any success. what would you do to make a difference to this 'bigger picture'?

More concerned with the public image they think this kind of action portrays. This for me is just one example of this .

I have no real suggestions on what they can do about this, if im honest its not really something i have given a lot of thought too, however let me ask you this, do you feel that banning this band will make a big difference in terms of the actual problem of people beating up their wives?

Also something i thought about last night, would there be as much of a fuss if this was a girlband called husbandbeater?

Guest treader.

Broken Sunshine had a song about killing lads or something to that effect.

The one about bread knives and breakiing your neck and stuff. BAN THEM.

(I'm aware they split up years ago)

There is a solution to this problem. Next time there is an election go along and vote. Take your ballot paper and write "none of the above" along the bottom, then draw a little box and put an 'X' in it. If spoiled papers ever out number political votes then then perhaps people will wake the fuck up to reality.

LVX

I can scarcely believe I'm having to insult people's intelligence by spelling this out, but Wifebeater was a parody. That is, a spoof, satire, call it what you will. Some people in this thread have called it spot-on in many ways, some have given the tiresome knicker-pissing as expected, particularly the relic who's been dead since 1985.

I wanted to keep it deliberately ambiguous for the simple reason that I wanted people to think about the issue raised. I wanted to do it in such a way so that the militant dinosaurs who cling on to 80's anarcho-punk would be put off and not come anywhere near us, as they've driven countless people away from punk over the years with their empty sloganeering and suspicious glowering at anyone at a gig who may have been in danger of enjoying themselves. If they stay away, there's more chance of new people getting into it and not feeling that they're intruding because they're being scowled out of the building by this ever-decreasing bunch of decrepit has-beens. I wouldn't like to cross swords with someone accusing me of attracting "the wrong sort" of person to our gigs. It's one of life's beautiful ironies that one of said relics is the one invoking the police and local bye-laws. Someone needs to do the kind thing and take them out to pasture and have them humanely put out of their misery.

The lyrics were written from the perspective of some neanderthal who sees nothing wrong with beating up their partner. That isn't too difficult to understand, is it? It doesn't mean that they're saying to people that they should start knocking people about, does it? The lyrics were deliberately so over-the-top that surely nobody would be that stupid to think we were seriously advocating it. Oh, wait a minute, I reckoned without the uptight, condescending middle-class authoritarians who have the sheer fucking gall to spout about anarchy and freedom.

I can't really put it any clearer than that. I had a great time in this band, the most enjoyable project I've ever been involved in and I have no regrets. The only thing I should have done was use a slightly less obvious username. Was kinda leaving myself open with that but hindsight is a wonderful thing. There was no way anyone could have seen all this Labour Council palaver coming, that's for sure. If I'd thought for a single second that anyone, bar the 80's fossils, would have taken it literally then I'd have issued a disclaimer from day one.

All that's left is to thank anyone who helped us out in any way and who knew what the band was about. And you haven't heard those songs for the last time...

There's only one way to sign off, with this : :up:

• Upvote 4

Spot on Gus, I can't believe that a member of an 'Anarcho-punk' band is using veiled threats of the state machinery (ie: the cops/ courts) to fight their battles. Sad and pathetic. And yes- the eighties are dead and gone, these cunts would be better off modernising their politics, instead of trying to tick all the right-on anarcho boxes just to be the same as the people they idolise like rock stars. It's a load of self indulgent wank, especially the sneering, self-righteous 'I-am-more-intelligent-and-better-informed-than-you-lowlifes' attitude.

I almost hate to say it, but our music/lyrics comes from the same place as them, but with the understanding that people want to be entertained, not preached at and the added ingredient of COMEDY.

Dooooooor!

I almost hate to say it, but our music/lyrics comes from the same place as them, but with the understanding that people want to be entertained, not preached at and the added ingredient of COMEDY.

Dooooooor!

Im disgusted that BLD have come out as a comedy act, im burning my "Terry Wogans Cock" t-shirt as we speak and using there 2nd Demo cd as a coaster even if it was my favourite release of last year by any band!!!!!

....and Gus your welcome to play Elgin anytime with whatever your next project is unless it involves Dunfermilne football songs i have my limits!!!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR x2

I actually find it quite disturbing that some Labour folk who are actually supposed to have a major role in running this city have taken this seriously.

1) The economy is bad, unemployment is high, deal with this. Also deal with people who beat their wife, not bands who sing about the subject.

2) Labour talk about how it's good to be in a democratic society. So why pick on a band using high profile media tools such as the radio. I wonder if Northsound would air the other side of the story? Doubt it.

3) When I turned round at a Wifebeater gig, the crowd all had massive smiles on their faces. It was just a bit of fun and the general consensus was that it was amusing due to the lack of political correctness.

4) Yes, Wifebeater condones violence and the beating of a loved one....:laughing: oh please...