aberdeen-music

Wind-up?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Oh now, this is hilarious.

You are all spouting on about Wifebeater being ill done by, they're entitled to their opinion etc etc. But then I dare to give a differing view to yours, I get jumped on. Very good, you've all done yourself proud and shown yourselves up to be nothing more than a bunch of small-minded bigots.

It isn't the same thing at all. You have not been banned from this website for stating yr views, and members here are entitled to a right to reply. Wifebeater are being campaigned against by Labour politicians to stop them performing. Whether or not you agree with their song content, they should be given the right to perform them at any venue that is happy to book them.

When your opinion is that free speech should be restricted, then of course we will. Cunt.

As my first post said, it's nothing to do with free speech, it's beyond that. Anyone's entitled to an opinion but I don't believe anyone should be coming out with this sort of bullshit. Where does it end? Beaten women? Yeah very funny subject huh? Foreigners? Well there's an easy target. While we're there, let's take the piss out of the disabled. Anyone who makes fun out of those less fortunate than themselves is a very sick, dispicable individual.

Oh now, this is hilarious.

You are all spouting on about Wifebeater being ill done by, they're entitled to their opinion etc etc. But then I dare to give a differing view to yours, I get jumped on. Very good, you've all done yourself proud and shown yourselves up to be nothing more than a bunch of small-minded bigots.

Come on, own up, are you Frank Doran or Len Ironside?

As my first post said, it's nothing to do with free speech, it's beyond that. Anyone's entitled to an opinion but I don't believe anyone should be coming out with this sort of bullshit. Where does it end? Beaten women? Yeah very funny subject huh? Foreigners? Well there's an easy target. While we're there, let's take the piss out of the disabled. Anyone who makes fun out of those less fortunate than themselves is a very sick, dispicable individual.

You can't get beyond free speech, dickhead, thats the whole point.

christ, you'd have to ban pretty much any kind of comedy by that logic

I have so much I want to say about this but I feel I'm going to get alot of shit by disagreeing with the majority of the people commenting in this thread...probably just for saying that alone.

I think Wifebeater would have been better if they done maybe 3 gigs at the most and it was funny when you went to see them, but for me the novelty began to wear off after seeing them about 3 times. People are obviously going to be offended by this and maybe the whole Labour trying to ban them thing is stupid but I don't think alot of people are going to see the funny side. I think for being a band singing about what they did they done it for too long and it became more offensive than funny. I know there are other bands that sing about offensive things or whatever but it's just what I feel about Wifebeater.

I feel what I'm trying to say has came out all wrong...oh well.

I thought Wifebeater were punk? Anyone remember the days when punk actually meant something, political action and all that? Instead of whiny little fucks making a noise for the sake of it, and spouting lyrics just to make themselves look hard or to offend people? If Wifebeater are so punk, how come all their blogs on myspace have been deleted and the band split up over a couple of labour politicians who may or may not try to get their gigs banned?

They've obviously got a lot of local fans to back them up, so why are they worried? And you all think you are so right about free speech, why don't they take it to the European Court of Human Rights? Fight it all the way instead of backing out even before the shit hits the fan?

I thought Wifebeater were punk? Anyone remember the days when punk actually meant something, political action and all that? Instead of whiny little fucks making a noise for the sake of it, and spouting lyrics just to make themselves look hard or to offend people? If Wifebeater are so punk, how come all their blogs on myspace have been deleted and the band split up over a couple of labour politicians who may or may not try to get their gigs banned?

They've obviously got a lot of local fans to back them up, so why are they worried? And you all think you are so right about free speech, why don't they take it to the European Court of Human Rights? Fight it all the way instead of backing out even before the shit hits the fan?

They didn't split up just because of this. Gather facts before spouting shite.

They didn't split up just because of this. Gather facts before spouting shite.

Yeah, ok, whatever you say. Considering the poster said "we split up tonight. for various reasons, not just for this" after Jake had originally posted, and that all their myspace posts are deleted, I would say this is the reason, above all others. Certainly the deciding factor.

I thought Wifebeater were punk? Anyone remember the days when punk actually meant something, political action and all that? Instead of whiny little fucks making a noise for the sake of it, and spouting lyrics just to make themselves look hard? If Wifebeater are so punk, how come all their blogs on myspace have been deleted and the band split up over a couple of labour politicians who may or may not try to get their gigs banned?

oh for crying out loud. this was something that had been coming for A LONG TIME. this whole stupid fiasco today was the final nail in the coffin.

we don't have a lot of local fans. or anyone at all who likes us as people, musically or otherwise. i think you might be the new cloud, introducing a whole lot of unanswerable questions into debates rather than actually answering the questions posed of you in the first place. wifebeater was formed simply to get a rise out of people. call that immature, call it sad, call it what you will, whatever. it was done for entertainment and we realised the joke had perhaps gone too far and that it wasn't funny any more. when you have people calling for us to have been banned on radio stations, any sort of spontaneity and fun goes straight out the whole thing.

i met loads of ace people across scotland simply through being in this band and i don't regret a thing, fair enough my way into the whole DIY-related scene up here was through a band whose songs advocated domestic violence but we've split up now. it was great fun while it lasted and i had loads of good times meeting such a wide variety of people i never would have if it wasn't for this band. hell, i would say a large proportion of my friends just now are people i met through being in this band.

tl;dr right?

in short: take your thatcherite dullard views back to the past and piss off

• Upvote 1

oh for crying out loud. this was something that had been coming for A LONG TIME. this whole stupid fiasco today was the final nail in the coffin.

we don't have a lot of local fans. or anyone at all who likes us as people, musically or otherwise. i think you might be the new cloud, introducing a whole lot of unanswerable questions into debates rather than actually answering the questions posed of you in the first place. wifebeater was formed simply to get a rise out of people. call that immature, call it sad, call it what you will, whatever. it was done for entertainment and we realised the joke had perhaps gone too far and that it wasn't funny any more. when you have people calling for us to have been banned on radio stations, any sort of spontaneity and fun goes straight out the whole thing.

i met loads of ace people across scotland simply through being in this band and i don't regret a thing, fair enough my way into the whole DIY-related scene up here was through a band whose songs advocated domestic violence but we've split up now. it was great fun while it lasted and i had loads of good times meeting such a wide variety of people i never would have if it wasn't for this band. hell, i would say a large proportion of my friends just now are people i met through being in this band.

tl;dr right?

in short: take your thatcherite dullard views back to the past and piss off

End thread here, I'd say.

It isn't the same thing at all. You have not been banned from this website for stating yr views, and members here are entitled to a right to reply. Wifebeater are being campaigned against by Labour politicians to stop them performing. Whether or not you agree with their song content, they should be given the right to perform them at any venue that is happy to book them.

..infront of people who are happy to go and see them. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they were turning up demanding to play children's parties, bakesales and feminist rallies. Nobody outside their scene would ever have heard about them if it wasn't for this utter waste of time campaign.

AWESOME! thanks for yet again ignoring everyone's questions towards you and providing some great insight into your mind!! i have some more for you!

do you like stand-up comedy? if so, name your favourite comedians.

do you like 'blues' music? some songs from the 50s had pretty dodgy lyrical content about dating young girls and how to 'treat' your wife!

if we shouldn't be allowed to say what we would like to in our songs, does that mean that there should be a set amount of topics that lyrics should deal with? should EVERY SONG EVER just talk about nice things like girls and how swell life is? we've moved on lyrically from the beach boys dude!

do you debate so ineptly in real life?

i should also add that i don't expect a response from you, but it'd be nice i guess.

• Upvote 1

we don't have a lot of local fans. or anyone at all who likes us as people, musically or otherwise.

I'd defend Jake to the hilt, as he always took the time to say hello and have a nice chat with me whenever I saw him out and about. One of the few truly genuine people in Aberdeen, in my opinion.

Don't know you though, sorry :)

do you like stand-up comedy? if so, name your favourite comedians.

do you like 'blues' music? some songs from the 50s had pretty dodgy lyrical content about dating young girls and how to 'treat' your wife!

if we shouldn't be allowed to say what we would like to in our songs, does that mean that there should be a set amount of topics that lyrics should deal with? should EVERY SONG EVER just talk about nice things like girls and how swell life is? we've moved on lyrically from the beach boys dude!

do you debate so ineptly in real life?

Q1 - Yes

- Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay

Q2 - No, I don't listen to the Blues

Q3 - Do you ask people stupid questions like this to their face? I very much doubt it

Q4 - See Q 3's answer

Q1 - Yes

- Eddie Izzard, Peter Kay

Q2 - No, I don't listen to the Blues

Q3 - Do you ask people stupid questions like this to their face? I very much doubt it

Q4 - See Q 3's answer

actually i thought q3 was pretty good. certainly not stupid. i like that you didn't even attempt to answer it.

surely music and lyrics should be prepared to tackle tough issues like domestic abuse and one of those ways to tackle it is satirical or by making a joke of it. surely wifebeaters music is the punk version of springtime for hitler and nothing more.

It seems to me that's all you've been doing, calling me names :laughing: Keep 'em coming, it doesn't hurt.

Why don't you crawl back to your hole until you can actually come up with a constructive argument?

fine, your clearly one of those PC dont call me black im tanned cunts. Wifebeater never in anyway promoted beating your other half it was a piss take, if your too dim witted to see that then thats your problem. These guys never caused any problems for anyone, either at a gig or after or at any time barring some good banter on here between them and mindmyweapon.

Its all rather amusing tho at a time of financail disaster that some labour MPs want to focus on a little punk band who have barely played to more that 50 people at any one time.