aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday the East Kilbride Pirates Junior American Football team, which I took over as Head Coach in September, had our first game of the season, away to the highland Wildcats in Inverness. To put the game into context, we've played them three times in the past and lost by 26, 50 and 52. Yesterday, after a long off-season of hard graft, we went up and beat then 24-8 with a fantastic team performance. I was a very proud coach and celebrated with a nice whisky, basking in the glow of victory and single malt.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 11:42 AM, Spoonie said:

Yesterday the East Kilbride Pirates Junior American Football team, which I took over as Head Coach in September, had our first game of the season, away to the highland Wildcats in Inverness. To put the game into context, we've played them three times in the past and lost by 26, 50 and 52. Yesterday, after a long off-season of hard graft, we went up and beat then 24-8 with a fantastic team performance. I was a very proud coach and celebrated with a nice whisky, basking in the glow of victory and single malt.

On Sunday we hosted the Newcastle Vikings for our first home game of the year and beat them 36-12, taking us to 2-0 (already the most successful season in the teams 3-year history!). We are only 8 points off our total from last year and 16 points off our total from 2014, so it looks like a year where we will set a lot of team records! We now have an EIGHT week layoff, where the main focus is keeping the guys engaged, interested and developing and then we have 4 games in five weeks to finish the regular season and try to secure our first ever post-season spot.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

The Monaco Grand Prix, the 100th Indy 500, and new series of Top Gear all in a delicious row this Sunday. Good luck getting me off the sofa that day.

Oh GP2 as well. It's not very good but I still watch it. 3 of the 4 racing series I regularly watch all on the same day. Motorsports bitch. 

42 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

That or a 6 hour video of Rangers' (RIP) greatest goals while having all your body hair slowly burnt off by Turkish midgets?

At least it's football, for a start. Any football is better than car shit. And - to their credit - them Turks do know how to shave. Who am I to question their methods?

24 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

At least it's football, for a start. Any football is better than car shit. And - to their credit - them Turks do know how to shave. Who am I to question their methods?

I like football but I'd watch motor racing over football any day. I drop in and out of football and will watch it if I'm at home and it's on, but I plan my Sundays around watching F1. I record loads of other stuff too. Every GP2, Indycar and Formula E race, occasional World Endurance Championship, World Rally Championship, World Touring Car Championship and NASCAR. I'd watch British Touring Cars if I could but it's not shown in Ireland, which is sad because its ace. Monaco GP and Indy 500 on the same day is like my Champion's League final. Up yours, hater.

I got a Turkish shave in Turkey once. I didn't like it much.

303849_10151053378530382_2043659868_n.jp

Edited by Lemonade

2 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Motorsport doesn't do it for me, but surely there is no worse televised sporting event than horse racing? Outside of the gambling, is anybody even actually interested in the sport itself? They can't be. It's garbage.

Yeah this. There aren't many sports that I absolutely couldn't watch if there was nothing else on, but I think I would rather watch nothing than watch horse racing. Cricket too. I'm sure it's interesting if you know the rules or you've got a team to root for or your country has a national team or whatever else, but I've got absolutely no connection or interest in cricket in it any way. To an uninterested observer it appears that only about 5 countries play it, and it just looks like really complicated rounders that takes 5 days to play.

I can't abide cricket on the telly, but I went to a couple of Ashes games many years ago, and it was great fun. Getting leathered on warm beer whilst getting horrifically sunburned. It was like being in an enormous beer garden, and sometimes a ball gets twatted really hard and you cheer. A couple of girls nearby had brought their knitting along, and just about everyone was reading a book and getting sloshed. To get the best out of cricket, I think you just have to completely ignore it.

Can a sport really be a sport if a game has lunch and tea breaks?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Lemonade said:

To an uninterested observer it appears that only about 5 countries play it, and it just looks like really complicated rounders that takes 5 days to play.

It's generally countries that are former UK colonies, right? As if being decent at cricket makes slavery and theft OK.

cant watch golf either. Or lawn bowls, fuck me.

Forgot to mention, in one of the Ashes games I went to, there was a delay in the game for just under an hour, because it got too cloudy. "Bad light" they called it.

Imagine being involved in a sport where you can't play because it is cloudy.

If cricket is called off because of cloudy weather, a County Cricket season in England must take two decades to complete. They're probably still finishing off the 1996 season.

Bus loads of Gloucestershire Ultras heading up the M1 to watch their team, forced into an impromptu U-turn at the Watford Gap because it's overcast in County Durham.

Edited by Soda van Jerk