aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

It's the only place I trusted in Aberdeen to get a good cocktail - especially when that spanish(?) lad was working.

i'm not one for cocktails, but there's good beer you can order there without it feeling like a horrifically artisanal experience. That's why I like it.

Krispy Kreme is a boost. They aren't quite as amazing as their reputation IMO but as doughnuts go they are pretty damn good. I'll enjoy those, especially since we don't have them in Poland. Last time I was back I asked a friend to bring me up a tray of them from Edinburgh. A woman chased after her in Union Square to ask her where the Krispy Kreme shop was.

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

Krispy Kreme is good. I'm surprised they are opening more and more branches. It always seems to be one of those places that is totally dead once the initial excitement wears off and people realise that they're not really all that into doughnuts. I thought they'd be struggling.

It doesn't seem like the UK has much of a coffee and doughnuts culture anyway.

I had a top quality Jukebox session in the Moorings on Thursday night. I walked in and purchased a 1/2 Pint of Fruli and then walked over to the Jukebox and put money in and played the following songs in this order:

Foo Fighters - Pretender

Muse - Feeling Good

Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

I then left and went home.

EDIT - I played Pinball too. This was at about 10pm.

Edited by Improved Thinker

I had a top quality Jukebox session in the Moorings on Thursday night. I walked in and purchased a 1/2 Pint of Fruli and then walked over to the Jukebox and put money in and played the following songs in this order:

Foo Fighters - Pretender

Muse - Feeling Good

Foo Fighters - Learn To Fly

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

I then left and went home.

EDIT - I played Pinball too. This was at about 10pm.

What flavour of Fruli did you get?

4 days until I go to see Dropkick Murphys. In Dublin. On St Patrick's Day. There's no way this gig can be anything other than dick-meltingly amazing. I want my dick melted. Like ice cream. A little pink dick-puddle.

Threw in last minute tickets to Fight Like Apes tonight. Then Murphys tomorrow. I think this will be a good St Patrick's.

This might be a stupid question, but is it a national holiday in Poland?

Yeah. The shops and stuff are open but that's it. It's a mad time, since the weekend the population of the city feels like its doubled with American tourists coming in, it's crazy busy, pretty much since Sunday the streets have been full of drunk tourists with green hats and shamrocks painted on their faces and you can't get in to any of the pubs. St Patrick's Day itself is a massive thing, the whole city centre shuts down for an all day parade and the pubs are packed from about 12:00. Unfortunately its also the one day of the year where the city centre is full of drunk teenagers so it can be a bit of a war zone. I usually start in a pub on the outskirts of the city centre and move in slowly, hitting it once all the drunk kids have been taken home in police cars / ambulances. It's pretty much an exercise in drinking stamina, funny because it falls right in the middle of lent, which is actually a thing in Poland as well. It genuinely is a good experience, worth doing once.

This is Temple Bar on St Pats. That's not a parade or anything, it's just people drinking, and the pubs can't hold everyone so they all stand outside. 

Photo-http-animalnewyork.com2014dublin-r

Edited by Lemon Raspberry

I'll believe it when Cool Thinker tells us.

I know a lot of information but I have no where to post it. I have posted some of it in here but other information just seems inappropriate. They should make a thread where I could post updates etc.

While we are on the subject:

The Filling Station is opening in Union Square under the name "Coast To Coast" it's unknown if the Union Street will close although if it does there could be a bar opportunity there. This will be in the last remaining restaurant unit in Union Square meaning that Union Square will be full up for restaurants for the first time since it opened nearly 6 years ago.

Fat Face is moving to another unit in Union Square.

The Early Learning Centre has closed down in the Bon Accord Centre. The whole upper floor of Bon Accord will be closing expect Next and New Look as the upstairs will become a restaurants only zone with the cinema opening too.

A new Subway has opened on Union Street next to The Music Hall. Another Subway will be opening soon in Middleton Park next to ASDA.

The Art Gallery has closed until 2018 for refurbishment and The Music Hall will be closing for 18 months also for refurbishment. Rumour is The Martime Museum is also going to close for refurbishment. 

Society Bar has closed down and turned into Ecelentic Fizz Champagne bar.