aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

1 hour ago, Soda Jerk said:

The only bands I remember watching are NoFX, Offspring, Prodigy and GnR on the Friday, (IIRC Reel Big Fish cancelled that year), nothing on the Saturday and Less Than Jake, maybe Andrew WK and then Foo Fighters on the Sunday. I went to the comedy stage a few times but generally I spent all weekend just drinking, walking around and being a fanny. What a waste!

Edited by Lemonade

On 30/10/2017 at 5:23 PM, Lemonade said:

The only bands I remember watching are NoFX, Offspring, Prodigy and GnR on the Friday, (IIRC Reel Big Fish cancelled that year), nothing on the Saturday and Less Than Jake, maybe Andrew WK and then Foo Fighters on the Sunday. I went to the comedy stage a few times but generally I spent all weekend just drinking, walking around and being a fanny. What a waste!

In fairness when you're at the same festival as Andrew WK you really have to party hard. 

I was also there in 2002, that was my first full weekender though I'd been in 2001 for the Saturday to see Green Day. Only Green Day. Any other decent bands on show that day were a happy accident.

I saw everyone except nofx and Prodigy on the Friday main stage. I think I missed nofx to see Hell Is For Heroes and popped over to see Alpinestars and The Music while Prodigy were on/while Guns 'n' Roses were hanging around not going on.

Saturday's line-up was very much Not For Me. I spent a lot of time milling around the comedy tent that day. I remember it pissing down while The Soundtrack Of Our Lives were on so I went for shelter to watch This Girl, who were better than the bigger band. Obviously saw Weezer, I'm not an idiot. Full Beard Rivers was good. I definitely saw Fenix TX and The Electric Soft Parade too, I was young enough at the time to be impressed with the members of the latter band changing instruments between songs. The Polyphonic Spree barely fit on the Carling Tent's stage and played that one song I knew so that was fine.

Sunday I was camped out at the main stage from Andrew WK onwards. It was "good". Then were those riots in the campsite with people burning up the toilet blocks and blowing up a generator so my pals and I retreated to the safety of the nearby Sainsbury's car park and waited for our ride home.

Cool Story Ends.

1 hour ago, Woodsinho said:

I was also there in 2002, that was my first full weekender though I'd been in 2001 for the Saturday to see Green Day. Only Green Day. Any other decent bands on show that day were a happy accident.

I saw everyone except nofx and Prodigy on the Friday main stage. I think I missed nofx to see Hell Is For Heroes and popped over to see Alpinestars and The Music while Prodigy were on/while Guns 'n' Roses were hanging around not going on.

Saturday's line-up was very much Not For Me. I spent a lot of time milling around the comedy tent that day. I remember it pissing down while The Soundtrack Of Our Lives were on so I went for shelter to watch This Girl, who were better than the bigger band. Obviously saw Weezer, I'm not an idiot. Full Beard Rivers was good. I definitely saw Fenix TX and The Electric Soft Parade too, I was young enough at the time to be impressed with the members of the latter band changing instruments between songs. The Polyphonic Spree barely fit on the Carling Tent's stage and played that one song I knew so that was fine.

Sunday I was camped out at the main stage from Andrew WK onwards. It was "good". Then were those riots in the campsite with people burning up the toilet blocks and blowing up a generator so my pals and I retreated to the safety of the nearby Sainsbury's car park and waited for our ride home.

Cool Story Ends.

Ooh yeah that was the year of the full on rioting wasn't it. I remember the toilets being set on fire both years I was there (2001 and 2002), but it got really out of hand that year. All the lights and security towers toppled, food vans etc and everything that could be set on fire being set on fire. I remember wandering up a path on the last night going into the trees for a piss and getting shoved out of the way from behind, turning round to call someone a cunt and coming face to face with a bunch of full on riot police with shields and batons. I stayed away from all the rioting but I could see and hear it, everything silhouetted by flames, I did not sleep well that night.

01 was a great line up. I remember a lot more of that. Of course now I see all these bands I love now that I'd never heard of back then that I can't believe I didn't see when I had the chance. I took it in to my head that weekend that I hated the Manics and I went to see Rocket From The Crypt as my last band of the weekend instead. I went in the pit during Rancid and got the shit beat out of me. Great times. 

2001_0.jpg

I think i watched the entire main stage on the Saturday, although I don't remember seeing Run DMC. It would seem odd of me to go for food or whatever during them since I like them. I remember being annoyed because I was waiting for Iggy Pop and they bumped the fucking Strokes up to the main stage and I had to sit through them. I must have wandered off on the Sunday because I watched quite a lot of the punk bands on the concrete jungle stage. 

Edit: oh look @kirsten, Guided By Voices were there two years in a row. 

Edited by Lemonade

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Amazon, again. Great bunch etc

Bought a lamp on Monday (I know, right? Life in the fast lane.) I'm a Prime customer, so it's same day dispatch, next day delivery. It didn't get dispatched Monday. Or Tuesday, or Wednesday... I got in touch each day, not even that bothered, just asking "hey, where's the lamp?". Each time they reply to me with enormous emails of a hundreds apologies, call my situation "harrowing" and each time they extend my Prime membership for 2 months and add £5 on my gift card balance.

I'm up 6 months free Prime and £15 credit - plus an extra £5 that can only be used on items sold and fulfilled by Amazon, which is weird - so call it £20. I'm hoping by the end of the day I can make it a solid 8 months and £25.

I hope they never send this lamp. It's on course to get me Prime for life and pay for Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Bought a lamp on Monday (I know, right? Life in the fast lane.) I'm a Prime customer, so it's same day dispatch, next day delivery. It didn't get dispatched Monday. Or Tuesday, or Wednesday... I got in touch each day, not even that bothered, just asking "hey, where's the lamp?".

...And on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we chilled on Sunday 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Getting shot of all forms of social media has been pretty ace-ic. Between the FBI manny looking through your laptop camera, Zuckerberg selling your data and the whole fake news thing... it's all getting a bit toxic. 

Was never a rabid facebook user but would idly scroll through most days. Don't miss that site in the slightest. Twitter was good for football stuff and the occasional lol but too many annoying opinions I really didn't want to know about kept popping up no matter how hard I tried to suppress them. Instagram is fairly harmless but its still a time suck and no matter how casual you are with it, you're still chasing that like-dragon. 

Only thing now is... noone talks to me anymore. Don't have fb messenger or instagram messages so I get nae memes or invites to social gatherings.

...It's bliss.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I post on Facebook most days, it's pretty much just a way of life now. It's a good way of keeping up with friends and family that aren't in my immediate life, though I find the timeline so heavily skewed in favour of pages, groups etc now that I barely browse the newsfeed at all. There's almost nothing on there from friends and family, which is what I want to see. CBA going through unfollowing all the pages though. I have Twitter and I like it, but they seem determined to ruin it. It gets worse with every update, I can't even look at the timeline anymore so literally all I do is tweet, and it's maybe one or two a day. Insta I can take or leave. I have it but I'm not very active. 

17 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Getting shot of all forms of social media has been pretty ace-ic. Between the FBI manny looking through your laptop camera, Zuckerberg selling your data and the whole fake news thing... it's all getting a bit toxic. 

Was never a rabid facebook user but would idly scroll through most days. Don't miss that site in the slightest. Twitter was good for football stuff and the occasional lol but too many annoying opinions I really didn't want to know about kept popping up no matter how hard I tried to suppress them. Instagram is fairly harmless but its still a time suck and no matter how casual you are with it, you're still chasing that like-dragon. 

Only thing now is... noone talks to me anymore. Don't have fb messenger or instagram messages so I get nae memes or invites to social gatherings.

...It's bliss.

I have thought about this too, but it's so important for band stuff I can't really. To be honest, I chat with pals on Facebook and slag off a lot of posts on there with people and browse Insta. Rarely use Twitter. It's also where I get all of my fake news.

I will be coming to Poland reasonably soon, so in the absence of any way of getting in touch (and assuming you're not trying to cut me out) then please find some way of sharing your number (if Chang has it I can get it off of him!).

I only keep Facebook because it's how I keep in touch with family, as talking on the phone is weird. I don't even know how to use the phone part of my phone, and I don't have a landline, because it's not the 80's. I rarely post on it though, and I have it set that if people tag me in photos or post stuff on my wall, only I can see it, because it's weird as fuck that, by default, people can share images of you that go directly to your friends/followers without your intervention. F that in the A.

I deleted it all once about 2 years ago, and some of my family got in a huff about it, until I was guilted in to bringing it back.

I still don't understand Twitter, but it seems to be filled with total whoppers. It's easier to avoid the whoppers on Insta at least.

I'd like to bin it all, for the sake of privacy and whatnot, but my missus has an Amazon Echo, so everything I say is definitely being put through various speech recognition algorithms and sold to advertisers anyway, regardless of Facebook. We've got the microphone on it muted now, because things started to get really weird, but I don't believe it's really muted, I just think the Alexa activation is turned off. They're still listening.

I'd chuck it in the river, if it was up to me.

7 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I have thought about this too, but it's so important for band stuff I can't really. To be honest, I chat with pals on Facebook and slag off a lot of posts on there with people and browse Insta. Rarely use Twitter. It's also where I get all of my fake news.

I will be coming to Poland reasonably soon, so in the absence of any way of getting in touch (and assuming you're not trying to cut me out) then please find some way of sharing your number (if Chang has it I can get it off of him!).

That's the main problem with ditching the socials right there... I have to make sure folks I actually want to get in touch with have my number. I'll pm you.

What you doin over here?

• Like 1

PM's. I remember those.

The days of putting up a thread asking for band members, and the excitement of getting the PM pop up when you next logged in, and you'd spend a few weeks planning when to jam with them as it would take them a week to reply with something really vague and unhelpful, then you'd cart your stupid heavy Marshall head down to Captain Toms on foot like a lunatic, you'd stand outside for ages and they wouldn't show up and you'd have to pay the £30 for the room yourself because you can't do a runner because your amp weighs more than you do.

Those were the days.

PM's!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I e-mailed the council about something last week. Then yesterday, the person who responded to my e-mail (accidentally) included me in a non-work related e-mail she was sending to colleagues, possibly to another person with the same first name as me, and Outlook auto-completed it as it often does.

Long story short, I ended up with an e-mail full of pictures of Fiona the Hippo

OE3XybG.png

80Rfwpn.png

That's council correspondence I can get behind.

• Upvote 4