aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

16 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Montreal - went there over new year and pretty much decided right away I wanted to live there at some point. Wife is going there for work this wknd so I'm tagging along. Chuffed I'm getting to go gain. Such a great city. Feels completely European and North American at the same time. Awesome munch (most restaurants per sq mile in North America after New York), friendly, interesting shit to see and do. Highly recommend visiting. 

I was seriously considering moving there too, but think my lack of French would make finding a job impossible. 

Any tips for fun things to do there? I'm going for a couple of days in May. 

Just now, kirsten said:

I was seriously considering moving there too, but think my lack of French would make finding a job impossible. 

Any tips for fun things to do there? I'm going for a couple of days in May. 

Mont royal park is nice, old Montreal and the waterfront down there is ace for a walkie aboot. They had an ice rink and fire pits when I was there but it seems a spot for good public stuff all year round. Don't bother with the underground city, it's just a shopping mall. Spectacle district for gigs - stayed in a hotel there and there's tons of venues - Divan orange was cool. Mile end area for bars and cool young people stuff. Ate Poutine once a day for the week I was there. No regrets.

i could list all the restaurants I went to but where's the fun in that?... didn't eat anything shite the whole time. Best thing we did was get lost in a neighborhood outside the center, found a dive bar and chatted with the locals. One guy had half a face from a shotgun incident hunting beavers and the barmaid I couldn't understand a single word she said - despite being completely fluent in French - coz her accent was mental. Proper quebecois folks. I'd heard they were supposed to be a bit cold but we didn't get that at all.

they had an awesome thing going on throughout the city when I was there - I think it's still going - they have big projectors on buildings dotted about playing short films. You download an app and can listen along. http://www.montrealenhistoires.com/home

They say if you feel you want to move to Montreal you should visit twice - once in summer and once in winter. I can totally see why. Absolutely Baltic. But, they totally embrace it which I think is ace. There's kids sledging, folks ice fishing, outdoor activities and shit going on and people generally making the most of the snow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed Amazon about returning a faulty product at 10.46 this morning. 

By 12.44 there was a replacement in the post to me. No questions asked. I'll fight any man who says Amazon customer service isn't still great. (I think I mean you Soda Jerk, if it was you who posted that recently.). 

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Emailed Amazon about returning a faulty product at 10.46 this morning. 

By 12.44 there was a replacement in the post to me. No questions asked. I'll fight any man who says Amazon customer service isn't still great. (I think I mean you Soda Jerk, if it was you who posted that recently.). 

Yeah. That was me. Let's fight.

My beef is more with Amazon Logistics. Amazon have somehow put together their own courier service that is worse than Yodel ever was.

They keep delivering my stuff to a similar address a mile down the road. It's a different post code, and a different street name. They both just have St Peter in the name. I have to keep going to the guys house to get it, and he's getting pissed off with me. But what can I do? I keep getting on Amazons case about my address. I even screenprinted Google maps of where I live and emailed it to them asking them to stick it on the packaging, so their shithead driver can find me. But it still gets sent to the wrong house. I have to get everything sent to the Amazon lockers now, and they're ages away.

Recently, an Amazon driver knocked on my door and gave me a parcel. (They can find me when it's not for me!!). I wasn't expecting anything. I looked at the address and it was not for me. The address wasn't even similar. I have no idea why he was here. I told him where the street was. "Oh ok" he mumbles, and he leaves. The next day, the same driver comes back with the same parcel. I tell him again that it's not for here, and where the street is. He says "Can't you take it there?". I shit you not. A delivery man asked me to deliver a parcel for him. I said no and told him again where the street is. It's just down the road, right on the main road. He leaves again. About half an hour later, I go to take my recycling out. I open my garden gate. What is on the floor on the other side of the gate? The fucking parcel.

I phone Amazon and told them that their shithead driver is shit. I ask them if the guy is going to come back and get the parcel. They say "No. you can just keep it". That was their solution. They don't even want to recover and redeliver it.

I didn't keep it. I walked down the road and gave the woman her parcel, because I'm a great guy, much greater than Amazons customer service.

Me > Amazon.

The woman didn't seem very grateful though. I should have kept it. That crabby little shit. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I concur about student discount. I work at a college, so I get an NUS card. I do love using it even for the smallest of savings.

Savings on buses, trains and coaches are the best though.

I often don't even need to show it when buying a cup of coffee or something, they spot the lanyard. Not those crabby bus drivers though. They demand to see it, take it off me, hold it up to the light, probably bite it to make sure it's real. Bewildered/annoyed at a 31 year old getting student discount, then reluctantly let me on.

Shame it doesn't work for Council Tax.

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I concur about student discount. I work at a college, so I get an NUS card. I do love using it even for the smallest of savings.

I often don't even need to show it when buying a cup of coffee or something, they spot the lanyard. Not those crabby bus drivers though. They demand to see it, take it off me, hold it up to the light, probably bite it to make sure it's real. Bewildered/annoyed at a 31 year old getting student discount, then reluctantly let me on.

Sames, although I forget to use my card all the time, I am a proper student though so blagged the council tax discount.

Also just got a public library card, the concept of being able to legitimately get a free shot of a book instead of trawling the net for some free pdf download is taking a while to sink in.

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

When I was 15 I had a bus driver take my name and address so an inspector could visit my house before he'd let me on the bus for a half fare. 

The inspector never came. 

Also I was 16. 

• Upvote 1