aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

We play down there twice in two weeks - on Sunday 10 July and Sunday 24 July. Both are 11:30 kick offs, because the Newcastle senior team is hosting the Carlisle Sentinels and then the Glasgow Tigers after the junior games on those two days. The games are both at Druid Park, NE13 8DF

I played down at Gateshead International Stadium six times, from '06-'11 and that turf is absolutely savage so I'm glad we are on rubber crumb 3G instead!

On 6/27/2016 at 8:52 PM, Stroopy121 said:

Jesus, I love the guy's work but I dunno if I love it £50 a ticket's worth!

xx

Have you seen Horace and Pete? Away to watch the 3rd episode. It's great.

and I figure, first scottish show since 08. 45 quid a ticket isn't too much considering when I wanted to see his UK shows in the past it would involve travel and accommodation in London. 

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:55 AM, Spoonie said:

We play down there twice in two weeks - on Sunday 10 July and Sunday 24 July. Both are 11:30 kick offs, because the Newcastle senior team is hosting the Carlisle Sentinels and then the Glasgow Tigers after the junior games on those two days. The games are both at Druid Park, NE13 8DF

I played down at Gateshead International Stadium six times, from '06-'11 and that turf is absolutely savage so I'm glad we are on rubber crumb 3G instead!

Got a call last night from the Newcastle GM to say they're pulling out of the league and so these games will lo longer happen. takes our record to 4-0-1 which is a positive but knocking your pans in for 8 months to get a regular season with 4 games is pretty horrible. It secures us our first ever playoff spot which is nice and means we can focus exclusively on the final Highland game too, but not nice to lose another team.

On 6/30/2016 at 9:29 AM, Spoonie said:

On Sunday we travelled to the Highland Wildcats (again) for game three. They played much more aggressively on defense than they had in game 1 and we have a few key guys missing, but we got out of there with a 20-20 draw which keeps us at the top of the league. Week off this Sunday and then three games on the bounce starting next week. Away to Newcastle, home to Highland and away to Newcastle again. Need a strong showing to top the league and get a good playoff seeding.

Where do you play home games?

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:24 AM, Spoonie said:

Got a call last night from the Newcastle GM to say they're pulling out of the league and so these games will lo longer happen. takes our record to 4-0-1 which is a positive but knocking your pans in for 8 months to get a regular season with 4 games is pretty horrible. It secures us our first ever playoff spot which is nice and means we can focus exclusively on the final Highland game too, but not nice to lose another team.

Yesterday was the final game of our regular season, at home to Highland Wildcats. Went 12-0 up, then 16-12 down and we were starting to really slide and then after their long, ground-out scoring drive which burned the whole 3rd quarter, we took the resulting kickoff to the house and broke their spirit. A turnover on their next possession and a quick score on a 1-play offensive drive and that was the end of it! 26-16 to the Pirates who are undefeated North 1 Champions and in the National playoffs! We will play the winners of the other North division for the overall Northern crown and then the winner of that plays the winner of the South for the British title at the end of August. An un believable turnaround for the team in one year, from having one competitive game in our first two seasons and seeing what it means to the players makes all the graft and travel worthwhile!

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, Spoonie said:

Yesterday was the final game of our regular season, at home to Highland Wildcats. Went 12-0 up, then 16-12 down and we were starting to really slide and then after their long, ground-out scoring drive which burned the whole 3rd quarter, we took the resulting kickoff to the house and broke their spirit. A turnover on their next possession and a quick score on a 1-play offensive drive and that was the end of it! 26-16 to the Pirates who are undefeated North 1 Champions and in the National playoffs! We will play the winners of the other North division for the overall Northern crown and then the winner of that plays the winner of the South for the British title at the end of August. An un believable turnaround for the team in one year, from having one competitive game in our first two seasons and seeing what it means to the players makes all the graft and travel worthwhile!

Manchester Titans won their division and so were our hosts for the Northern Championship game yesterday. We travelled down, gave the best performance I've ever seen our team give, and beat them 16-0 to earn a place in the British final on Saturday 27th! An awesome season just took another step and now we are one more game away from the most unbelievable turnaround! Personally, it was the best game I've ever coached and I found myself not only as prepared and organised as I've ever been but completely in the moment on the sideline. Really proud of our boys and everything they've achieved so far this season!

• Upvote 3

I'm currently working in a used bookshop here in Poland and keep discovering great things about some of our regular customers. There's one auld guy who comes in quite frequently and is very sweet. He has a walker/zimmer frame thing and needs a little help opening our mega heavy door. Whilst discussing our favourite regulars the other week, I mentioned him to my manager and she said, "Oh, you met David? He's so great. He was the voice of Magneto in the animated X-Men series..." 
Apparently once he was asked about this and he, being an old fella who just saw it as a job and had no outside interest in it, told our boss, "Yeah, I think I played Mr Magnets or something..." 

Then just this evening, I found out that Guillermo del Toro regularly comes into the shop. I wouldn't recognise him if he came in, so I'm now hoping that if I have ever unwittingly served him, I was charming as fuck and he'll write me into one of his films.

• Upvote 3

I've pretty much finished my first solo EP. Just a few tweaks here and there.

I set myself a target of having it finished before the end of August so it was finished in advance of my 2nd kid being born in September/October, mission accomplished :)

Pretty happy with it and looking forward to starting work on an album next year.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, kirsten said:

I'm currently working in a used bookshop here in Poland and keep discovering great things about some of our regular customers. There's one auld guy who comes in quite frequently and is very sweet. He has a walker/zimmer frame thing and needs a little help opening our mega heavy door. Whilst discussing our favourite regulars the other week, I mentioned him to my manager and she said, "Oh, you met David? He's so great. He was the voice of Magneto in the animated X-Men series..." 
Apparently once he was asked about this and he, being an old fella who just saw it as a job and had no outside interest in it, told our boss, "Yeah, I think I played Mr Magnets or something..." 

Then just this evening, I found out that Guillermo del Toro regularly comes into the shop. I wouldn't recognise him if he came in, so I'm now hoping that if I have ever unwittingly served him, I was charming as fuck and he'll write me into one of his films.

Which one of the Polands is this shop located in. It sounds awesome.

On 23/06/2016 at 10:51 AM, Murrr said:

Four months after leaving a dreary, soul-crushing finance job that was eroding my will to live, I've just signed a contract to write about sports for a living. Working from home initially, then moving to Poland (Newcastle) in a couple of months.

This is pretty close to a dream job for me. Feeling pretty fuckin' wonderful at the moment.

A little late to the party, but link us to your stuff if it's online, yeah? I always enjoy your contributions to the football threads.

• Upvote 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:27 AM, Spoonie said:

Manchester Titans won their division and so were our hosts for the Northern Championship game yesterday. We travelled down, gave the best performance I've ever seen our team give, and beat them 16-0 to earn a place in the British final on Saturday 27th! An awesome season just took another step and now we are one more game away from the most unbelievable turnaround! Personally, it was the best game I've ever coached and I found myself not only as prepared and organised as I've ever been but completely in the moment on the sideline. Really proud of our boys and everything they've achieved so far this season!

We went down to Worcester on 27/8 for the final at Sixways Stadium. The Exiles took a 6-0 lead but we hit back fast to go 8-6 ahead, a lead which we held for most of the game. We dominated possession, field position and yardage but couldn't convert again and they hit us with a sucker punch right at the end to take the title 14-8. It was the closest Junior final in ten years and we should have taken home the gold but it's still been a hell of  a year. And on Saturday just past, our u17 team which had just won their first ever Scottish title, went on to lift the British title too! Not a bad year for the Pirates, despite a 6-4 record at senior.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...