aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

I always wondered what the law is if a parent is doing the weekly shop with their kid present (let's say it's a four-year-old). Does that mean that parent can't buy cigarettes, alcohol, matches or 12-or-over rated games or DVDs because now everyone present at the time of the transaction has ID?

xx

There's usually quite a difference between the law, and shop policy. The law would have to prove that parent was buying whatever for their child. The four year old in your example is a bit extreme, it's not likely even the worst parent would be buying fags for them. But say a 14 year old - there's nothing in law stopping the parent buying fags when the child is present. But if said parent was then witnessed handing the fags to the child, they could be done for it. Same goes for booze, or a copy of PC gamer with an 18 rated disc on it, or whatever.

Shop policy is different, because they always err on the side of caution. It's far safer for them to simply refuse the sale, rather than take the risk. In the four year old example, obviously it's highly unlikely that anyone is breaking the law therefore the sale would probably be allowed, but if its a mum buying an 18 rated PC Gamer with a spotty 14 year old next to her, it's a fair bet young Norbert will be getting the mag. So whether it could be proved or not most shops just refuse to save the potential hassle.

Remember shops are under absolutely no obligation to sell anyone anything. If they want to refuse a 50 year old vicar, they can.

• Upvote 2

There's usually quite a difference between the law, and shop policy. The law would have to prove that parent was buying whatever for their child. The four year old in your example is a bit extreme, it's not likely even the worst parent would be buying fags for them. But say a 14 year old - there's nothing in law stopping the parent buying fags when the child is present. But if said parent was then witnessed handing the fags to the child, they could be done for it. Same goes for booze, or a copy of PC gamer with an 18 rated disc on it, or whatever.

Shop policy is different, because they always err on the side of caution. It's far safer for them to simply refuse the sale, rather than take the risk. In the four year old example, obviously it's highly unlikely that anyone is breaking the law therefore the sale would probably be allowed, but if its a mum buying an 18 rated PC Gamer with a spotty 14 year old next to her, it's a fair bet young Norbert will be getting the mag. So whether it could be proved or not most shops just refuse to save the potential hassle.

Remember shops are under absolutely no obligation to sell anyone anything. If they want to refuse a 50 year old vicar, they can.

Aaaahhhh a very valid point. I suppose from that POV I can see why the shop would refuse to sell me a bottle of wine when I'm with my (20-something year old) wife who has forgotten her ID. It's a pain in the balls though. The law shouldn't apply to people like me who aren't trying to break it.

xx

We got ID'd in a NZ supermarket when we were buying a load of food and some wine. Sod's law we didn't have our passports with us and they wouldn't accept a UK driving licence (fair enough really, could've been anything). After that we made sure to have our passports with us all the time and of course never got ID'd again.

I don't really have a problem with shops being overzealous and IDing people in their 20s and 30s as long as they use common sense. Refusing a sale because someone's taken their wee kid along to help with the weekly shop is ridiculous but there's regular anecdotal evidence that it happens.

A friend of mine was shopping in Asda and got id'd. He's nearly 30, so this bugged him, but he obliged. His gf (same age) then got id'd. She'd left hers at home. D'oh! But their 2 year old son was with them. He then told the cashier to either sell him the booze or ID his son, the cashier did neither so he left his weekly asda shop at the till and walked out in a huff. lol.

A friend of mine was shopping in Asda and got id'd. He's nearly 30, so this bugged him, but he obliged. His gf (same age) then got id'd. She'd left hers at home. D'oh! But their 2 year old son was with them. He then told the cashier to either sell him the booze or ID his son, the cashier did neither so he left his weekly asda shop at the till and walked out in a huff. lol.

Customers that walk out in a huff are the worst. Then the staff have to restock all the fucking shelves. Cuntwads.

In the cases of people buying alcohol, most shops have run the Challenge 25 policy for a few years before it became law, and there are usually signs and stickers on tills saying so. So it shouldn't still be that surprising to occasionally asked for ID if you're in you're late 20s/30.

It's not a surprise. It's not even unreasonable. Just a pain in the hoop from time to time. Especially when there are two of you, one with no ID.

xx

Just to point out, I totally understand them not serving me when I don't have ID despite being 27. However, not selling someone else in the queue their booze when they have ID simply because I spoke to them? Bull-shit.

Pretty easy to deduce that you might be buying the alcohol for a party or something in that case so it doesn't seem ridiculous that she came to the "you might be together" conclusion.

And when the penalty for getting it wrong is £5000...

Pretty easy to deduce that you might be buying the alcohol for a party or something in that case so it doesn't seem ridiculous that she came to the "you might be together" conclusion.

How could the police prove it? How could they set that up?

Unless of course the law states that they're not allowed to sell alcohol to someone unless every single person they talk to that isn't a store employee produces ID. If it does, then I'll shut the fuck up.

Only if they have a licence, which a lot of people don't, and much like going out, would I fuck carry my passport to the shops just in case.

Get a provisional at least. Or a Citizencard.

Unless of course the law states that they're not allowed to sell alcohol to someone unless every single person they talk to that isn't a store employee produces ID. If it does, then I'll shut the fuck up.

Better safe than sorry.

By carefully considering every aspect of your argument, and taking into account any statements made by others, they could probably eventually come to the conclusion that there is a very strong likelihood that no law is being broken. But they're not going to do that on a Saturday night with a massive queue behind you grasping their lotto slips and glaring at your back. And when the risk is a 5 grand fine and losing their licence, versus your £10 worth of bacardi breezers, they're going to take the financial hit and let you go elsewhere.

The person behind already had his own shopping! And he didn't then attempt to buy the stuff that Teabags was refused the sale of

How does speaking someone deduce that you're jointly providing supplies for a party?! That's just bollocks

So, if someone in a queue buys alcohol, but then they willingly give that alcohol to someone else, the responsibility is still with the shop? Like, if I went in to a shop alone, and bought alcohol for some underage kids outside, then gave it to them, all that would fall onto the shop for selling it to me, and not me for supplying someone who is underage?

Getting ID'd is fine, refusing to sell to someone who does have ID because they believe he might give it to someone who doesn't have ID seems like total shit really.

So, if someone in a queue buys alcohol, but then they willingly give that alcohol to someone else, the responsibility is still with the shop? Like, if I went in to a shop alone, and bought alcohol for some underage kids outside, then gave it to them, all that would fall onto the shop for selling it to me, and not me for supplying someone who is underage?

Getting ID'd is fine, refusing to sell to someone who does have ID because they believe he might give it to someone who doesn't have ID seems like total shit really.

Both you and the shop would get in the shit.