aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

there's something about garlic I don't get. I think I like garlic, quite a lot at times. I use it frequently in cooking. Yet often it seems that the rest of the world wants all their food to taste only of garlic and a hundred cloves should be thrown in every meal.

Yeah, what's that about? I remember having a meal abroad and accidentally biting a garlic clove, it tasted like a nuclear bomb had gone off in my mouth. Nasty. I love garlic, though, especially the smell. Just not the cloves. :(

While that is definitely true, I have never been to a restaurant where they make it like that! Any more stories from America about decent chilli? At home you can make anything as spicy and flavoursome as you want, but it's one of the dishes that are always underwhelming in restaurants over here. Unless you know of any good places that serve it!

To be honest, I found the food over there pretty disappointing. We had high hopes for a couple of Mexican cantinas we visited- due to the obvious proximity to Mexico and the fact that there were shops selling the most incredible ingredients a couple of doors away, but it was all pretty bland fare. Restaurants over there tended to definitely go for quantity over quality and it was all a bit stodgy and heavy for me. We were so done with the smell of BBQ by the time we got back as well! There were a few places just outside the city centre that I'd go back to. The latter being this Thai place that had the only really spicy food I ate whilst there. It was a bit of a dive, but a lot of the Chinese and Thai students seemed to eat there, and that's usually a good sign.

http://www.motherscafeaustin.com/d/5034805_38253.htm

http://theveganyacht.com/menu

http://www.thaikitchenofaustin.com/dinner.htm

If we go to SXSW again, I reckon we'll just rent a hotel suite with a cooker and take advantage of the local produce.

As for chilli over here, around three years ago, The 78 in Glasgow used to do the most amazing smoky chilli wraps, but seem to have stopped :-(

I went up to the hospital. Day off, so thought I'd do something productive and have a nice walk in this weather. Bit of a bummer that they're only Monday to Friday though.

That's really stupid, you would think they would have a Saturday clinic so people who actually work can manage. I'm not allowed to because I'm on epilepsy medication :(

That's really stupid, you would think they would have a Saturday clinic so people who actually work can manage. I'm not allowed to because I'm on epilepsy medication :(

Have looked it up and there is a few days where they are open till 7ish but it is still pretty tight. I have never given blood but really want to, don't most cities have a van, a guy at work said when he was working in Westhill a van used to come around.

I just checked the times and they have changed a lot. it used to only be Wednesdays and Tuesday evenings you could donate but it seems it is a lot more open now. Unless these are only the opening times of the center and not when they accept donations. Monday, Thursday and Friday were previously used solely for the vans going to community centers and other sites around the shire. http://www.scotblood.co.uk/aberdeen.aspx

I haven't given in the best part of a year actually so I should head along. I'm O- so get a special gold card! Giving blood is about the only time I am made to feel special :(

I've never actually seen the vans around though. When I was in Edinburgh one came to my school and another was at a church near where I worked so the first 2 times I donated were at the mobile centres.

You used to be able to just rock up on a Tues night and wait your turn, or earlier on a Wed. They've changed it now so it is Mon - Fri but they prefer if you phone first for an appointment, which is a lot easier as you could be waiting for hours before but now you're straight in and out. They still tour about various sites like colleges etc and they quite often go to the Music Hall.

Monday: 8.30am - 3.30pm

Tuesday: 12.30pm - 7.30pm

Wednesday: 12.30pm - 7.30pm

Thursday: 8.30am - 3.30pm

Friday: 8.30am - 12.30pm

I give blood regularly, but its a bit of a pain getting bookings there sometimes. I'm due one now, convinced Waltz to go, so if anyone else wants a lift to there and back, I'd be delighted to! Good on you Scott