aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

My old flatmate was from edinburgh and he said with a militant straight face that anyone who didn't like chippy sauce was scum, he also got really frustrated when people called it a chipper. Really unfortunate for a guy moving to aberdeen really. I love glasgow chippers, mountains of chips and two sausages for like 2. Even when i'm not hungry i'll get one, can't beat that kind of quality service.

The quality hugely compromises though. Chippers in Glasgow are nowhere near as good as the ones in Aberdeen.

Yorkshire has alot of names for rolls too.

Rolls, baps, barms, teacakes, breadcakes, bread rolls, bread buns.

There should be a referendum, to decide once and for all the correct name for a ball of bread. It's pretty important.

I concur.....but I mainly used to call em' teacakes or breadrolls

link :

Bread roll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(couple of things I miss Soda, are Flat Cakes & Long Buns...LOL...

a corned beef salad in a flat cake was just the biz !!)

Having loads of stuff to do today and actually getting it all done without problems and without dithering. Even had time for a bit of Seinfeld and a nap. Now I feel rested and ready for a good night out.

Only downside to my day was feeling like a complete tool when I spilled coffee all over myself in a cafe earlier.

Tea cake? What nonsense. These are tea cakes http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/04_02/teacake1004_468x415.jpg

er: as quoted from wiki's Tunnocks page :

"The name tea cake is somewhat confusing as generally a teacake is taken to mean a sweet bread roll with dried fruit added to the mix, which is usually served toasted and buttered. A Tunnock's Tea Cake bears no relation to this product."

;)

The quality hugely compromises though. Chippers in Glasgow are nowhere near as good as the ones in Aberdeen.

I feel the same, but replace Glasgow with 'everywhere on earth' and replace Aberdeen with 'Filey'.

Aberdeen fish and chips are pretty decent though. East coast fish and chips for life. Someone should go and shoot up all the west coast posers. Bomb their cars. Murder their families. Write a rap song.

What about those continental types with their chips and mayonnaise?

.... or Canadians, with their Poutin (gravy) & Cheese

Oh.....Best fish & chips ever imho....seek it out if your ever down there :

Westbourne Fisheries, Bradfordf Road, Otley, West Yorks !! :up: brilliant !

(still owned by a member of the original Harry Ramsden Family from Guiseley... at least it still was a couple of years ago)

I feel the same, but replace Glasgow with 'everywhere on earth' and replace Aberdeen with 'Filey'.

Aberdeen fish and chips are pretty decent though. East coast fish and chips for life. Someone should go and shoot up all the west coast posers. Bomb their cars. Murder their families. Write a rap song.

Word. Also stotties are ace-ic.

Aww man, chippy sauce is the most vomit-inducing condimental accompaniment to a chippy supper that there is.

When I get a chippy in Edinburgh, I still find it odd that I actually have to outwardly say that I only want salt and vinegar - not that rank sauce with it's mouth ulcer actuating properties. No siree.

WTF is this shit? I thought everybody knew the word is chipper, not chippy.

Only oop norf. Everyone else says chippy. Infact I still call it the "fish shop", since chippys where I grew up pretty much always just sold fish and chips, with the occasional fish cake, battered sausage or pukka pie to order if they were feeling generous. But most just stuck to fish and chips, and nothing else.

.... or Canadians, with their Poutin (gravy) & Cheese

Oh.....Best fish & chips ever imho....seek it out if your ever down there :

Westbourne Fisheries, Bradfordf Road, Otley, West Yorks !! :up: brilliant !

(still owned by a member of the original Harry Ramsden Family from Guiseley... at least it still was a couple of years ago)

Find it hard to believe that the best fish and chips in Yorkshire, let alone the world, are in the west. Surely East Yorkshire by being on the coast has the best? Hell, that's basically all there is to eat in Bridlington.

Still not as good as the chippers in Stoney though.

Only oop norf. Everyone else says chippy. Infact I still call it the "fish shop", since chippys where I grew up pretty much always just sold fish and chips, with the occasional fish cake, battered sausage or pukka pie to order if they were feeling generous. But most just stuck to fish and chips, and nothing else.

Some "Fish Shops" in Otley, where I grew up, also sold :

Parsley Cakes (like ordinary fish cakes but made with mashed potato & parsley), Savouries (Mashed Potatoes, Onion & Corned Beef), Scallops, and of course "Scraps" (which you got for free)

...and there was none of this "ordering and waiting" carry on, the fishfryer always had about a dozen of each already cooked..... much faster !!

.... and even now, its MUCH cheaper than in the Deen !:up:

Soda, are you old enough to remember just asking for "One of each?" :)

Chipper. Although the vast majority of local ones are boggin'. Mastrick isn't that fine but it's close, I used to work in Friar Tuck's in Summerhill and got free food but I wouldn't recommend the going there when certain folk were working before it closed down. Hilton's alright but it's a bit of a hit and a miss.

Ears not being the littlest bit sore after getting them pierced when my head hit my pillow last night is ace-ic.