aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

Guest idol_wild
After being brow beaten by my boss for the past 8 months and constantly being on the verge of getting fired, being told today that I've turned my shit around to the point where I'm being put forward for a raise.

Ace-ic day!

xx

Were you bad at your job, or just lazy? Or a combination of both?

Were you bad at your job, or just lazy? Or a combination of both?

Lazy.

Infact, no fuck that I wasn't lazy; I was new to the job so wasn't particularly able to find work to do and get it done, so I needed to have work assigned to me, problem was there wasn't a massive deal to do.

Between that and the fact that I came in at 8 and left around 5-5.30 (usually when I got through all the work I had to do anyway) but the boss comes in around 10 but stays till 7-8, to his eyes I looked like a lazy prick, in reality 'underworked' would be more accurate, but I'm splitting hairs.

xx

Should have started sending him emails at 8am to let him know you were in.

I toyed with the idea, but it'd've been hard not to look like a wanker...

"Look at me boss, I'm in work sooooo early, pat me on the back, please?"

Whenever I had a valid excuse to copy him on an email that I was punting out first thing I would, but I figured looking like I'm lazy AND a shameless suckup would probably have made it worse...

xx

Getting an interview for an assistant librarian post :D

I know, I don't have the job, but I thought I hadn't even been considered for the post since I have no librarianship/information services qualifications. I might have a job soon! I'll have money!

You're paying for your soup now. Fucking cheapskate.

Starting a placement at a school tomorrow to get experience for my application for a PGDE to teach biology. I'm dead excited to be doing something relevant to my degree again!

Also, my work has allocated me holidays over the next few days, which I hadn't been aware of, and I've dodged the bullet of a 12-hour shift today as a result, bring on the five-day weekend! I'm going to use the time to make some soup.

Getting an interview for an assistant librarian post :D

I know' date=' I don't have the job, but I thought I hadn't even been considered for the post since I have no librarianship/information services qualifications. I might have a job soon! I'll have money! [/quote']

Good luck, hope you get it :up: Well done on even getting an interview, they seem to be difficult to get these days.

Starting a placement at a school tomorrow to get experience for my application for a PGDE to teach biology. I'm dead excited to be doing something relevant to my degree again!

Also, my work has allocated me holidays over the next few days, which I hadn't been aware of, and I've dodged the bullet of a 12-hour shift today as a result, bring on the five-day weekend! I'm going to use the time to make some soup.

Hooray! To both things! (!!!)

how did you go about getting the placement?, as simple as getting in touch with a school? Im looking at applying for my PDGE (biology also) and realise having naff all teaching experience is not that helpful.

how did you go about getting the placement?, as simple as getting in touch with a school? Im looking at applying for my PDGE (biology also) and realise having naff all teaching experience is not that helpful.

I knew a few folk who did/are doing the PDGE. Most folk got in touch with their old schools for placement opportunities. I'm not saying this will always work, but it seems more likely if you know someone on the inside from your school days.

Yeah, I just sent off a load of letters to different schools explaining that I was seriously considering applying for a PGDE in biology and waited for replies. I also wrote to youth clubs. I enclosed a copy of my CV too. I'll let you know how I get on, and I could ask if they'd consider taking anyone else on if you like? I'm currently working full time at the moment, but usually have a gap in my rota of a day or two every week so that allows me time to get a bit of experience.

Guest idol_wild

Quite literally, find out the name of the principal of the school(s) you'd like to go on a placement to and write them a nice letter, stating your teaching intentions and such like, and ask if they'd be willing to allow you to come in to the classroom for a couple of weeks. :up:

One pointer: if you don't already have one, apply for your Disclosure Scotland form well in advance, to prevent any delays. Disclosure forms sometimes take fucking ages to turn around. The website promises a three day turn around, when in actual fact, it's more like three weeks.

I failed to get in to study a primary teaching post-grad because I wasn't seen to be gaining experience with children in my own time. The reality was, however, that I worked full-time in a shop earning minimum wage and with the bare minimum holiday allocation, and couldn't really afford the time off work at that point in my life. A lot of staff in that shop felt they had to work through their holidays and cash in their annual leave allocation.

It was absolute fate, though. Truth is, I fucking hate children.

Same thing, really. :up:

Ooooooooooooooooooh! :down:

Ace-ic: being organised about my course and managing to find all (bar one, fucking lecturer) my textbooks cheap as hell online and getting a digital voice recorder so I can save my lectures on my laptop :D the lectures aren't recorded anymore so it means I actually have to go to them.