aberdeen-music

Ace-ic....

DJ Jo-D

Season 9 did have some absolute classic episodes. Homer having to pick up his car from New York, the pee wee football episode, the movementarians, the three trillion dollar bill and Homer being sanitation commissioner.

You see, out of those I would only consider the sanitation commissioner to be classic.

I was obsessed with The Simpsons at the time, got Sky telly in 1996 just to get it and I use to tape every episode onto VHS. Even then I can remember sadly realising that they were not up to scratch, maybe people who came to them after seeing later dross feel differently.

I did forget about the Principal and the Pauper episode. Granted, that is one of the worst episodes or the first 12 seasons, if not THE worst. I still think the first 12 are still fantastic, and the likes of season 9 and 10 have aged alot better than the first two seasons in my opinion. They are obviously classic, but i don't go out of my way to rewatch them these days. I'm still a bit obsessed, though there haven't been many recent ones i've liked. They all seem to be a bit goody goody now, with stories based around lisa and her boring ethics.

I did forget about the Principal and the Pauper episode. Granted, that is one of the worst episodes or the first 12 seasons, if not THE worst. I still think the first 12 are still fantastic, and the likes of season 9 and 10 have aged alot better than the first two seasons in my opinion. They are obviously classic, but i don't go out of my way to rewatch them these days. I'm still a bit obsessed, though there haven't been many recent ones i've liked. They all seem to be a bit goody goody now, with stories based around lisa and her boring ethics.

You see I watched the first two seasons on Sky when they were first broadcast (via my mate's Aberdeen Cable box!), so it seemed like a natural progression to me, but I can see how they would look primitive to someone who hadn't done it that way round.

I have watched the Simpsons since I can remember, but I don't know if that was when the first season were first broadcasted here. It was around 1992 when we got Sky. I would have been about 6 or 7 at the time, so it was nothing more than a brightly coloured cartoon to me until I was about 12/13, by which time it was well into season 7 or 8 I think.

It's not so much the crude animation. I think it generally got alot wittier and sharper from season 3 onwards, but seeing it first hand probably wouldn't make it appear so dated.

I kept kidding myself that the new ones were alright, but they aren't. They're mostly awful. Has anyone seen the 400th episode one? That was the worst thing I've ever seen and I'm not remotely kidding.

And the movie! Christ! The movie was fucking awful. So bloody bad.

The early ones I avoid too because they just bloody bore me. Totally dated.

Love seasons 3 until roundabout 12, 13 though.

Another thing that is ace-ic. Freshers Week... really. As I currently work as a porter at Aberdeen Uni, all these young, impressionable girls are coming up to me and asking for directions so I take them to where they want to find. On route we get chatting and I have an opportunity of about 2 minutes to flirt with them. As I'm handsome, friendly and helpful, they like this.

There are so many hotties on campus right now, its fucking ace. I nearly crashed my van a couple of hours ago...

Another thing that is ace-ic. Freshers Week... really. As I currently work as a porter at Aberdeen Uni, all these young, impressionable girls are coming up to me and asking for directions so I take them to where they want to find. On route we get chatting and I have an opportunity of about 2 minutes to flirt with them. As I'm handsome, friendly and helpful, they like this.

There are so many hotties on campus right now, its fucking ace. I nearly crashed my van a couple of hours ago...

YES! THIS!

My self esteem is even lower than usual, this ugly ginger troll lumbering out from my cave to clubs where these girls are in.I shouldn't be in the same room as girls that hot.

Met a girl the year above me on my course. Probably the most beautiful thing I've ever spoken to.

Having a great time.

An unrelated Ace-ic. A car, parked in a bus lane outside Bank of Scotland on Union Street with his hazards on whilst the driver nipped into the bank real quick, getting smashed into by a bus this lunchtime, whilst I was at the cash machine at said bank. Motorists who use their hazards to break numerous parking laws for the sake of being a lazy shite irk me, so it was a fine slice of justice being served. Y'know, because it's a bus lane, on a busy city centre road. Not a "pop into the shops dead quick" lane. His car should have been crushed into a cube for being a twat, and his bank account should have been frozen for being a twat, and I should have punched him in the mouth for being a twat. What a twat.

An unrelated Ace-ic. A car, parked in a bus lane outside Bank of Scotland on Union Street with his hazards on whilst the driver nipped into the bank real quick, getting smashed into by a bus this lunchtime, whilst I was at the cash machine at said bank. Motorists who use their hazards to break numerous parking laws for the sake of being a lazy shite irk me, so it was a fine slice of justice being served. Y'know, because it's a bus lane, on a busy city centre road. Not a "pop into the shops dead quick" lane. His car should have been crushed into a cube for being a twat, and his bank account should have been frozen for being a twat, and I should have punched him in the mouth for being a twat. What a twat.

I have to do this when I deliver to Union St. Always irks me that I get bracketed in with twats who just nip into shops to buy things (not that im saying thats what you're getting at)

I have to do this when I deliver to Union St. Always irks me that I get bracketed in with twats who just nip into shops to buy things (not that im saying thats what you're getting at)

Couriers/deliveries are probably an exception, as there's not really any other choice. Nipping into the bank is inexcusable though. Getting your vehicle mowed into is superb karma.

You see, out of those I would only consider the sanitation commissioner to be classic.

Really? Not even the Homer vs New York episode? Perhaps not best ever material but I wouldn't say those episodes are indicative of a decline.

3-8 is the peak for me but seasons one and two are still excellent.

I don't know the names of Simpsons episodes but I like -

1. The one where Homer gets mighty fat so he can work from home and wears a big smock and a 'fat guy hat'. Especially the bit when a free sample of washing powder/fabric softener gets posted and he washes his fat guy hat just to use it.

2. The one when Homer wanders home pished and sees the alien that turns out to be Mr Burns and all the aliens have an arms round each other sing song and Chewie and Alf are in there.

3. A pretty old one where Bart and Homer are in teh wilderness and Homer tries to trap a rabbit using a bent down tree and it gets twanged into the distance. And then he gets attacked by various animals in a bush.

I'm slowly working my way through my seasons 4 - 8 that I bought in Asda ages ago. Done 4 and 5 so far. My 3.5 year old son likes watching them with me on a Sunday morning when his Mum is having a long lie and isn't there to tell me off about the inappropriate bits that he can't understand. Parenting FTW.

Guest Gladstone

My favourite scene from the Simpsons is when Bart writes something on the back of Homer's head - something like "Insert brain here" or something and Homer chases himself round in a circle on the kitchen floor trying to read it. No idea what happens in the rest of that episode, but that gag has stuck in my head for at least 10 years.

EDIT: Insert Brain here Video - WittySparks

discovering the birdwatching term "Pishing". Leading to some unintentionally funny finds: The Art of Pishing: How to Attract Birds by Mimicking Their Calls: Amazon.co.uk: Pete Dunne: Books

The Fine Art of Pishing

"Pishing also works well in northern Europe but isnt as successful in the Tropics. While some adepts may have enticed normally furtive antbirds to hop right onto their hiking boots as they stood and pished in the jungle, Charlie has had very little luck with pishing in the forests of Brazil or Venezuala, or Kenya or Nigeria."

"For what should be obvious reasons, pishing is best done in the company of other birders or, even better, deep in the woods far from everyone."

:D