aberdeen-music

Gig Etiquette

Hmm, it was myself doing sound for Zed machine that night and remember things going down a little bit different.

Just saying if you have a time to be on stage, make sure you're whole band are on the stage at that time. You guys had a slot from 11, until 11:30, and I had DJ's to set up at half 11. The wonderlands did NOT run over time and I could have put you lot on a good 10 minutes early if all were present. I remember standing around, waiting at 11 and your bassist was nowhere to be seen.

dont blame the bassists for being late, especially not in this thread, they dont take too kindly too it :up:

As a lead singer, I really need to be able to hear both the guitar and my own voice clearly or I tend to go off key. You can't always hear the key from the bass, especially as our bassist tends to use effects and distortion.

It's maybe because I'm quite a shit singer though.

Nah I'm the same. I only ask for my guitar and vox.

Bass doesn't do much for me vocal wise.

We had a gig at the Tunnels a few months ago and we were the only band out of 4 who bothered to turn up on time to soundcheck before the gig. We were on third of four bands, and we turned up at half past 6 like we were asked and soundchecked. The headliner turned up about half 7 and the other 2 both turned up half an hour before they were due on stage and expected to get a full soundcheck before they went on. Which they actually got! This obviously extended the handover/set up time considerably, so by the time we went onstage everything was running an hour behind schedule and the sound guy told US we had to cut our set down to THREE fucking songs because everything was running so late!

Absolute shambles. We were the only cunts who bothered to fucking turn up on time and we were the only ones cut short, the bands who were on before us should have been told to sling their bastard hook.

im pretty certain that it wasn't me doing sound that night...

Guest idol_wild
I dunno who it was, it was a young guy with glasses and curly hair I'd never seen him before.
certainly not me then....

Indeed, because you straighten your hair, you fag! ;)

Guest idol_wild
hahaha, my hair aint long enough to straighten these days...

Maybe not your head hair, but your facial hair! Holy fucksticks...that is getting bushy!

Guest idol_wild
yeah, getting there, almost about 2 inches in length, can't straighten it though, beard hair just sizzles, smells and burns.

Seriously, don't try it at home kids...

Same as pubes then? Ahem...

A lot of guys think you need to comb or straighten your hair before a first date, and while that is the ideal I find it's not really essential. Quickly running your fingers through it minutes before you meet is quite enough to get satisfactory results.

probably a bit late to join this thread but fuck it i'm bored so fancy a bit of a type!!

it really really fucking irritates me when people have the nerve to ask to borrow equipment. with only two exceptions. the first being cabs, and the second drums ...ish. let me explain.

being a drummer, and having a half decent kit, am i fuck going to play on the shitty house kit that sits in the corner and sounds absolute butters. I want to use my own kit. But generally, promoters and sound engineers alike just hate doing kit changes and don't want anything to do with them. I understand this to a point. So if a promoter has the foresight to think ahead and ask me if we can use my kit, i almost always say yes. and even when they don't, it generally ends up getting used anyway!

HOWEVER it REALLY fucking bugs me when the other drummers don't even take the time to say thank you. That really grinds my gears

But I never let anyone use my cymbals, pedal or snare. I have had all of these things broken in the past. As well as the bass drum skin (and no I didn't have a spare with me)!

It does also piss me off when people move around my memory locks and rearrange the kit, and then make no attempt to put it back afterwards. I'm not saying anyone using my kit should play my set up, but at least make an effort to put it back the way it was afterwards! I ALWAYS make sure I do the same on the very rare occaisons that I am using someone elses kit.

As for sound checks, it's all been said: show up on time, get all your shit set up asap, even if it is just on the floor and not on the stage right away, don't take the piss when doing a song, verse and a chorus should do! All common sense.

probably a bit late to join this thread but fuck it i'm bored so fancy a bit of a type!!

it really really fucking irritates me when people have the nerve to ask to borrow equipment. with only two exceptions. the first being cabs, and the second drums ...ish. let me explain.

being a drummer, and having a half decent kit, am i fuck going to play on the shitty house kit that sits in the corner and sounds absolute butters. I want to use my own kit. But generally, promoters and sound engineers alike just hate doing kit changes and don't want anything to do with them. I understand this to a point. So if a promoter has the foresight to think ahead and ask me if we can use my kit, i almost always say yes. and even when they don't, it generally ends up getting used anyway!

HOWEVER it REALLY fucking bugs me when the other drummers don't even take the time to say thank you. That really grinds my gears

But I never let anyone use my cymbals, pedal or snare. I have had all of these things broken in the past. As well as the bass drum skin (and no I didn't have a spare with me)!

It does also piss me off when people move around my memory locks and rearrange the kit, and then make no attempt to put it back afterwards. I'm not saying anyone using my kit should play my set up, but at least make an effort to put it back the way it was afterwards! I ALWAYS make sure I do the same on the very rare occaisons that I am using someone elses it.

As for sound checks, it's all been said: show up on time, get all your shit set up asap, even if it is just on the floor and not on the stage right away, don't take the piss when doing a song, verse and a chorus should do! All common sense.

I let some bands use my bass stuff at drummonds once. No thanks afterwards - No offer to help me drag it up stairs.

Now no bands use my stuff, why should i let them? I'm the one who's worked hard to get the gear i've got, why should some band get to use it?

I'm happy to let other bassists use the cab though :)

yeah totally man. on more than one occaison i've had to talk to various cretins about either mine or weapons equipment when they've asked to borrow something.

often this is just the guys didn't want to sound like a dick. whereas i have no problem sounding like a cock!! haha :-D but seriously, I don't.

I know how much my friends (and I) spend on our gear, there's no chance I'm letting some knuckle head play it.

9 times out of 10...if not more, the common "local" guitarist/bassist has absolutely no sc00b about impedance etc and a LOT have the "turn the gain and volume up to 11!" syndrome...nope nope nope.

i dont understand what these people think when they are on their way to gigs, with barely or no equipment to speak of, do they not worry that when they get there they will be told no and have to either just sing or go home.

I can understand not being able to get an amp to a gig or a drum kit but again these issues should be sorted long before you get there.

Im with you tooms, no cunt gets my cymbals or my slingerland to use during their gig, not a hope in hell, im never really bother about the kit tho, i have a simple set up which take me all of ten minutes to sort if the kit has been moved around heaps so i dont mind when people dont set it back up and letting someone use my kit is ok, at the end of the day i can change a head easily.

Hmm, it was myself doing sound for Zed machine that night and remember things going down a little bit different.

Just saying if you have a time to be on stage, make sure you're whole band are on the stage at that time. You guys had a slot from 11, until 11:30, and I had DJ's to set up at half 11. The wonderlands did NOT run over time and I could have put you lot on a good 10 minutes early if all were present. I remember standing around, waiting at 11 and your bassist was nowhere to be seen.

If that is the case then my bad - I had no idea we'd cut into our time by so much. The wonderlands did play and extra song (the singer asked "can we do just one more?")which lasted about 6 minutes by my count and their set just felt looonng so I had assumed that was the major factor in cutting our set. Still, I'll take your word for it.

Sorry again to keep you waiting - we weren't being prima donnas - honest!

Steve, our bass player had to go for a piss right before we played- he only has one kidney (honest) which means nature calls more often for him and unfortunately he had to go just as we were about to play. I didn't think that would push us over time by much. I was under the impression we were booked to do 40 mins when Hen sets these things up. I don't handle the bookings but any time we played the tunnels in the past we've been able to complete our set no trouble regardless of where we were on the bill - (including the last time we played when being hauled off early would've been a blessing 'cos we were shite!) Our set as recorded at practice lasts just over the 30 mins (36 to be precise) but we were playing much faster on saturday 'cos everyone was sober this time.

On the plus side the FOH sound for the other bands sounded good and the onstage sound was about the best we've heard in our very short career to date so it wasn't all bad - those new monitors made a big difference.:up:

At the end of the day we got paid regardless so its no biggie in the long run - it just felt like we were getting a raw deal at the time.

No problem. I didn't mind waiting for you guys to get on stage at all. I'm in a band myself and understand the need to take a piss/get the pints in before going on stage. I just wanted to mention that this, along with me having been told to allow time for a half hour set from you guys was why I had to cut short your set. I hate having to do it, but the DJ's who were on at 11:30 payed to hire the venue and I couldn't run on any later.

Sorry if my earlier comment sounded totally arsey too. I've had a bit of a shit week and was obviously venting through my keyboard. Anyway, I'll no doubt see you guys soon and I'll always try to give time for a full set when I can.

Cheers.

Runcie.

No problem. I didn't mind waiting for you guys to get on stage at all. I'm in a band myself and understand the need to take a piss/get the pints in before going on stage. I just wanted to mention that this, along with me having been told to allow time for a half hour set from you guys was why I had to cut short your set. I hate having to do it, but the DJ's who were on at 11:30 payed to hire the venue and I couldn't run on any later.

Sorry if my earlier comment sounded totally arsey too. I've had a bit of a shit week and was obviously venting through my keyboard. Anyway, I'll no doubt see you guys soon and I'll always try to give time for a full set when I can.

Cheers.

Runcie.

except for toxic distortion runcie, just remember that!!!

Pish!

15 pages!

Nice one Bill.

As I remember it I went for a slash and then our drummer went for a slash hence the time keeping...........

Don't think there would have been a problem if we were told to play for 30 minutes beforehand.

Probably would have insisted on going on earlier so we could get to our beds as we are old farts these days!

Always had good experience with other bands and FOH sound in the Tunnels, no premadonnas yet!

Shame most of the bands are better than us!

Have come across the bands that think they are great and own the place take ages to set up etc. but these are the ones that generally aren't very good........

As with others had bad experiences with lending kit so only in an emergency.

S

Cheers.

Runcie.

No worries mate - not your fault, just doing your job and all that:up:. Glad to have got to the bottom of what happened. Like Steve says above - if we'd known we only had 30 mins to play with we'd have been a bit sharper.