aberdeen-music

Neil Young coming to Aberdeen

Alan Cynic

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

What happened in the crowd? I was at the back so i didn't really see but i heard him chastise somebody. Good gig like. I'm a fan but not a huge fan, and i certainly enjoyed it. A lot of raw energy, which i thought might be missing from his shows these days. He certainly abuses that Les Paul!

When he shreded his strings and just whacked them off the pickups it actually did sound like a hurricane. Guess what I'm doing after work tomorrow :up:

Fucking immense gig like. As soon as the first chords of Hey Hey, My My belted out I knew it was a winner.

I concur.

Won't go into my hatred for the human race as it goes without saying after a gig at the AECC and I'd rather focus my mind on the quality of the music, which was fucking ace :up:

Seconded - Loved the gig, Young is one of the few artists I've wanted to see for many years. But fuck, did it remind me just how much I despise the AECC. I think my neck/uper back will need to be in traction for a few days from all that craining!

Laura Marling was pleasant enough but totally unsuited to that kind of venue IMO.

When he shreded his strings and just whacked them off the pickups it actually did sound like a hurricane. Guess what I'm doing after work tomorrow :up:

Fucking immense gig like. As soon as the first chords of Hey Hey, My My belted out I knew it was a winner.

Superb gig.

The Hey Hey My My opener was awesome and played at half speed. It's my least favourite in our band's set and I've never cared for the song ... until last night!

The rest of the set was terrific.

Only fly in the ointment for me were the two drunk rent-a-weedgies who - during the interval - tried to shove their way to the front where we were standing, knocking some elderly gentleman over.. Two heavy-set guys next to me stopped them and as the older one flailed in protest, he stuck his finger in my eye.

The retaliatory backhander from me sent his glasses flying and I'm pretty sure I heard them get stomped on. How do these obviously pissed cunts get past security?

A nice touch was when the old guy they knocked over tapped me on the shoulder and handed me a pint!

Though the support act was ok, but as someone else said in the thread, totally incongruous to the venue.

I overheard the two heavy set guys say..."aye, ye ken - that Alanis Morrisette type o' music - songs aboot fuck all"

• Upvote 1

I'm still amazed at just how good that was.Neil Young may just well be my favourite guitar player. Nice to see an auld yin giving it laldy. Puts a lot of young bands to shame. Great set list overall, my only gripes were no 'Like a Hurricane' or 'Fuckin' Up', one of which at least I hoped would arrive at the end to be a good closer, I found the encore a bit anti-climatic after what came before. 'Down By The River' was indeed immense. 'Rockin' In The Free World' probably had a couple too many false endings but never mind.

Laura Marling sounded quite good having not heard her before but I could barely hear her for all the background noise. The guys I was with hated her and wanted to go to the bar, I just went as it was fruitless trying to enjoy her set. I'd like to see her in a smaller venue I think.

As usual, the audience contained an annoyingly large number of beauts. Especially the guy behind me who insisted on 'singing' along to all the old ones to display to the 2 younger lads he was with how down with Neil Young he is. His mate who was on a mobile for all of 'Down By The River' run him a close second. I'm not convinced he was actually talking to anyone, he seemed quite pissed and I suspect he may have been having a conversation with himself....but having managed to distance myself from them I really enjoyed the gig, probably one of the best I have been to.

my only gripes were no 'Like a Hurricane' or 'Fuckin' Up', one of which at least I hoped would arrive at the end to be a good closer, I found the encore a bit anti-climatic after what came before. 'Down By The River' was indeed immense. 'Rockin' In The Free World' probably had a couple too many false endings but never mind..

I'm wondering if this was a rehearsal of a TV-friendly set for his Glastonbury appearance in a few days?

Personally I'm not entirelly displeased about no Like a Hurricane - I love the song but it can occasionally break me right up. Ex's etc.

Only fly in the ointment for me were the two drunk rent-a-weedgies..... How do these...cunts get past security?

I know, there should really be an accent control point. Anyone exhibiting Weegie inflections is sent for further obnoxiousness testing before having their ticket voided or validated.

Last night's setlist -

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Comes A Time / Unknown Legend / On The Way Home / Harvest Moon / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

Set list for this tour so far -

05-30-2009, Parc del Frum, Barcelona, Spain

Primavera Sound 2009 Festival

Neil Young & His Electric Band

Mansion On The Hill / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

05-31-2009, Velodromo de Anoeta, San Sebastian, Spain

Mansion On The Hill / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Goin' Back / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Just Singing A Song / Rockin' In The Free World // Like A Hurricane

06-03-2009, Le Znith Nantes Mtropole, Nantes, France

Mansion On The Hill / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Goin' Back / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Get Back To The Country / Just Singing A Song / Get Behind The Wheel / Down By The River / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

06-04-2009, Le Znith de Paris, Paris, France

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Goin' Back / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Mansion On The Hill / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // Like A Hurricane / A Day In The Life

06-06-2009, Sportpaleis, Antwerpen, Belgium

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Goin' Back / Heart Of Gold / Comes A Time / Old Man / Mansion On The Hill / I've Been Waiting For You / Rockin' In The Free World // Like A Hurricane

06-07-2009, Sportpaleis Ahoy', Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Love And Only Love / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Lost In Space / Heart Of Gold / Comes A Time / Old Man / Mansion On The Hill / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // Like A Hurricane

06-09-2009, Messehalle, Erfurt, Germany

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Pocahontas / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Speakin' Out / Down By The River / Fuckin' Up / Tonight's The Night / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

06-11-2009, Frognerbadet, Oslo, Norway

Norwegian Wood Festival

From Hank To Hendrix / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Mother Earth / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Unknown Legend / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Fuckin' Up / Down By The River / Tonight's The Night / Rockin' In The Free World // Roll Another Number / Like A Hurricane

06-12-2009, Stora Skuggan, Stockholm, Sweden

Where The Action Is

From Hank To Hendrix / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Mother Earth / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Unknown Legend / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Fuckin' Up / Down By The River / Rockin' In The Free World // Cowgirl In The Sand

06-14-2009, Seaclose Park, Newport, Isle of Wight, England

Isle of Wight Festival

From Hank To Hendrix / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Mother Earth / Comes A Time / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Pocahontas / Spirit Road / Cinnamon Girl / Fuckin' Up / Rockin' In The Free World // Down By The River / A Day In The Life

06-16-2009, O2 World, Berlin, Germany

All Along The Watchtower / A Day In The Life / Mansion On The Hill / Roll Another Number / Pocahontas / Mother Earth / The Needle And The Damage Done / Tonight's The Night / Down By The River / Unknown Legend / Heart Of Gold / Fuckin' Up / Cortez The Killer / Cinnamon Girl // Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

06-17-2009, Olympiahalle, Mnchen, Germany

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Goin' Back / On The Way Home / Unknown Legend / Comes A Time / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

06-19-2009, Tanzbrunnen, Kln, Germany

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Goin' Back / On The Way Home / Unknown Legend / Comes A Time / Harvest Moon / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

06-21-2009, O2 Arena, Dublin, Ireland

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Lost In Space / On The Way Home / Burned / Harvest Moon / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

06-23-2009, Trent FM Arena, Nottingham, England

Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) / Mansion On The Hill / Are You Ready For The Country? / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Pocahontas / Words / Cinnamon Girl / Mother Earth / Don't Let It Bring You Down / Comes A Time / On The Way Home / Burned / Heart Of Gold / Old Man / Down By The River / Get Behind The Wheel / Rockin' In The Free World // A Day In The Life

I'd say we've had one of the stronger setlists from the tour then.

I think if I could have added anything it would have been Four Strong Winds or Johnny Magic, but I'm not gonna start complaining considering how brilliant the selection was last night. I think someone else mentioned Are You Ready For The Country. Wasn't expecting that, great to hear!

Amazing Gig, Cant believe how much energy he still has! was also a bit disapointed that he didnt play Like a Hurricane, Heart of Gold, Old Man, tonights the night or anythng from after the goldrush but it was still an amazing gig!

Hightlight for me were harvest moon, Hey Hey My My, Down by the river and needle and the damage done. Rocking in the free world was ace aswell but could stop laughing after he went into the chorus for a 3rd time

I'd say we've had one of the stronger setlists from the tour then.

I think if I could have added anything it would have been Four Strong Winds or Johnny Magic, but I'm not gonna start complaining considering how brilliant the selection was last night. I think someone else mentioned Are You Ready For The Country. Wasn't expecting that, great to hear!

Completely forgot he played "are you ready for the country" another huge hightlight for me

Is it just me or has anyone else had an intense beamer of a smile on there face ahh day from this gig? I've just been in a total state of chuffedness all day!

Sure have! So good, it was a pleasure to pay this man 50 - and even to pay ticket-thiever their excessive fees

I think his performance of Cortez the Killer was the best performance of any song I have seen by any band ever. Amazing. Down by The River comes a close 2nd. I said to my Dad, if he carried on playing Down by the River until his set finished I'd have still walked out a happy man. A wonderful night that even the AECC couldn't spoil (and although Ive seen some complaints, compared to Arctic Monkeys at AECC the crowd were a delight).