aberdeen-music

Neil Young coming to Aberdeen

Alan Cynic

I know some folk like him and all that, but I wouldn't pay anything like that amount to see him... not worth it (I think he's over-rated and can't sing for crap anyway!)

... now if it was someone like The Eagles...............:up:

eh? The Eagles havent contributed anything of any worth to the world of music in decades. I cant see why anyone would complain about the price of Neil Young tickets when he is still constantly producing fantastic albums (Chrome Dreams II and Living With War were both great). I have never looked forward to a gig as much as this.

Crosby, Stills & Nash are playing Edinburgh Castle a couple of weeks after I hear. Worth the trip I reckon...

It was probably this:

Rise and fall of the LA dream - Telegraph

Basically just a BBC documentary version of the book I posted.

Overall message The Eagles (well, cocaine and Charles Manson too) killed the SoCal country rock dream.

Don't think it was that one... It may have been older than that, I'm sure I saw 2 distinct programmes.... or it could have even been just the documentary about Gram Parsons I'm thinking about! ....can't remember now (I'm getting old)

eh? The Eagles havent contributed anything of any worth to the world of music in decades. I cant see why anyone would complain about the price of Neil Young tickets when he is still constantly producing fantastic albums (Chrome Dreams II and Living With War were both great).

because i can't afford them. same goes for the springsteen ones at hampden :(

At least the Playhouse is a decent venue though. Charging 62 to see anybody at the AECC is taking the piss.

I really like a few of Neil Young's songs (Heart of Gold, Harvest Moon) but for me he is one of a number of good, solid acts who are way, way, way over-rated by the press and given undeserved legendary and therefore "must-see" status. Others I would put in this category include Bruce Springsteen and Pink Floyd. I mean, they're good, but not as amazing as everybody makes out.

hold on, shouldn't mark knopfler be on that list? :p

Oh, and you were doing so well up until this point. Two words; Levon Helm.

I believe Gram Parsons referred to the Eagles as "a plastic dry-fuck". Hateful, miserable soulless creeps they were. The only song of theirs I kind of like is "Take It Easy", and even then Jackson Browne's original blows it away.

Got my Neil Young tickets. Early birthday present (cheers, maw!).

I know the singing drummer thing is pretty tenuous as I can name many brilliant singing drummers (Georgia Hubley being my favourite), but the evils of Don Henley (Boys of Summer singing cunt) and Phil Collins have tarnished the name of singing drummers everywhere.

Got a ticket too. I was planning on getting my dad one for his birthday, but he pre-empted me and got me one for my birthday. I'm repaying the favour by getting him one to see The Boss.

For anyone that thinks he's past it, I saw him on the 1st February headlining the Big Day Out in Perth, Australia, and I thought he was immense. Watched My Morning Jacket, who I thought were amazing, first time I'd ever seen them, and then the Arctic Monkeys who played directly before Young. Brilliant set, basically a Greatest Hits. He was wearing a oversize t-shirt and jeans, looked the scruffiest man at the festival but absolutely belted the tunes out. Total passion. Great balance in the set too from the likes of 'Hey Hey My My' nearly deafening you to the acousic 'Old Man ' and 'Heart of Gold' etc etc, ye ken the drill!

Pity it's at the AECC though..............

I know what you mean. I really hate that venue. The acoustics in the place are friggin' awfull. Still, I'm not missing out on the chance to see Neil Young and I've already got my ticket.

Yes - This.

Young is the first act in a very long time that has made me want to buy a ticket there & the only reason I did was because June is a very busy month for me & I doubt I'd get the time off to go & see him elsewhere.

My ticket is booked, wouldn't miss it regardless of the venue. As with Bob Dylan at the AECC, how many chances will you have to see a true legend in your near vicinity?

How the fuck did The Eagles end up in a Neil Young thread? That's like mentioning Kate Nash in a Patti Smith thread.

I fucking detest The Eagles...tepid pish that deserved to remain in the 70's. The only good thing to come from The Eagles was the Spanish version of 'Hotel California' that cropped up in The Big Lebowski but even that was more because of the dual amusement factor of John Turturro in a purple jumpsuit.

• Upvote 1