aberdeen-music

Bad bars

Red Neck Man

Which bars in Aberdeen do you consider to be awful and why?

Me and a few friends went on a "bad bar" crawl last night just for shits and giggles and ended up venturing into these stingers:

East Neuk

The Castle Bar

The Carlton

Cutters Wharf

The Frigate

The 524 Cocktail Bar

The Neptune

the bar area of The Blue Lamp

The Market Arms

Hen Hoose

and finally, The Regent.

Out of those (so far), the 524 Bar on George Street is hands down, the absolute worst bar I have even set foot in. What a shit hole.

The East Neuk was pretty horrific as well. Stale yellow and brown is not a good colour scheme :down:

The only bar in Aberdeen that I really can't stand is Triple Kirks. The design and layout of the place is just headache inducing, all the furniture and the walls are just big stupid blocks of garish colour. And it's all on different levels and layed out weird. It's like being inside a game of Tetris, or a Japanese arcade. It's like it's designed to disorientate you. Plus there aren't enough seats and you can NEVER see the TV during a football match. I hate pretty much everything about the place, except that they do tend to employ hot barmaids.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
The only bar in Aberdeen that I really can't stand is Triple Kirks. The design and layout of the place is just headache inducing, all the furniture and the walls are just big stupid blocks of garish colour. And it's all on different levels and layed out weird. It's like being inside a game of Tetris, or a Japanese arcade. It's like it's designed to disorientate you. Plus there aren't enough seats and you can NEVER see the TV during a football match. I hate pretty much everything about the place, except that they do tend to employ hot barmaids.

Which surely means everything else is forgiven, no?

I don't really have a disdain for any of the bars in Aberdeen. Clubs is a different matter altogether, I hardly like any of them.

Tropicana isn't bad actually, sure it's full of ugly 40 year old divorcees, but they play some excellent tunes in amongst all the cheese. Me and Colin Mac went a bit mental on the dancefloor a couple of months ago when they played "You Can Call Me Al" and "I Got My Mind Set On You" back to back.

Tropicana is actually my favourite club in Aberdeen. We've had some good times in there!

It tends to be our post-gig haunt for The Underkills. There are some shocking photos of me and David doing crap dancing to cheesy 80s tunes. The dancing was so crap that it translated onto still photos.

I do like a bit of Tunnels action late on. Although the last time we went there on a Friday night, we paid our 5 entry and didn't even make it to the bar as they were pumping out some hardcore dance stuff, which nearly made my head explode.

East Neuk

The 524 Cocktail Bar

the bar area of The Blue Lamp

Hen Hoose

Seriously, you have no taste Red Neck man.

East Neuk - let us do awesome gigs and didn't care when we took the pillows off the chairs for a pillow-fight-pit

524 - Cheapest pool table in town. Recommended shots for us to pour down my brother's snorkel on his birthday, has an excuse list behind the bar for if your wife calls the pub to find you and we sang Lost The Loving Feeling to a regular;s dog.

The Blue Lamp - do fucking awesome folk jams.

Hen Hoose - best karoke and dancefloor ever. Regular visit for me and maxwell when he's up.

Tropicana is actually my favourite club in Aberdeen. We've had some good times in there!

Colin Mac (who is also my flatmate) drags me in there because he likes to try and get in about some of the old fat women who frequent it. He says it's easier to pull the rough looking 40-year old birds than the nubile 18 year olds in most clubs and you're guaranteed a shag out of it.*

*I may have made that up entirely, but he doesn't have internet access at the moment to come online and defend himself, so I can spread as many spurious rumours as I like.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit of a shame to hear the Belmont getting a slating again. I mean it's just undergone a management change. It's my 2nd favourite bar in town.

As for the Neptune, that bar's great... did you not try the jukebox?

Triple Kirks is shite as a boozer but for those freaks that like a sociable drink It would be OK.

My worst bar in Aberdeen..... Revolution. By a long shot.

It tends to be our post-gig haunt for The Underkills. There are some shocking photos of me and David doing crap dancing to cheesy 80s tunes. The dancing was so crap that it translated onto still photos.

I do like a bit of Tunnels action late on. Although the last time we went there on a Friday night, we paid our 5 entry and didn't even make it to the bar as they were pumping out some hardcore dance stuff, which nearly made my head explode.

Tropicana? Did you actually admit to this?

I ca wait to smack you tonight

Tropicana? Did you actually admit to this?

I ca wait to smack you tonight

I think that bird from New Deer you shagged frequents Tropicana every weekend. Although she's older than the normal clientele...

haha

I'll give you that...punch retracted...

though you can still buy me a pint cause your a loaded lawyer or summin...

I'm far fae loaded, but I might stretch to a pint. Just the one though.. ;)

Although you do still owe me one for punching that pint out of my hand in Snafu

I heard there was more fighting in Snafu last night - were you there causing trouble again?