aberdeen-music

Tags

Frosty Jack

Now I know we're all having fun with the 'tags' feature, but can I just fire a warning shot here?

Some of the tags have been very amusing, some have been near genius, but there's starting to be a bit of a trend toward using them just for personal abuse. These will be removed. The staff don't want to come down too hard on them at this stage, but if they start to become a pain in the arse to moderate, the facility will be removed altogether. Use them wisely, children...

Guest idol_wild
Now I know we're all having fun with the 'tags' feature, but can I just fire a warning shot here?

Some of the tags have been very amusing, some have been near genius, but there's starting to be a bit of a trend toward using them just for personal abuse. These will be removed. The staff don't want to come down too hard on them at this stage, but if they start to become a pain in the arse to moderate, the facility will be removed altogether. Use them wisely, children...

This, to me, can essentially be rephrased as follows:

"Please, please, please add your most amusing and witty tags to this thread.

Please."

I think the tags have progressed beyond merely being a search aid, and while they are not being utilised in the way they were intended, they inject a bit of humour to the forums. They are much more fun in their current form, and at least people use them, which they wouldn't if it was just for a stuffy old search aid.

Guest idol_wild
yeah id agree, what was the problem? Yes people abused them but all in good banter it amused me to see everythread tagged "nefarious cunt", i have nothing against him it was just funny. Were people complaining?

I guess the staff have to moderate site content and watch their backs and such like, so I can sort of understand why the tags were removed. But yeah, I would doubt very much that any tags literally offended anyone - they were fucking hilarious! And the anonymity added to the appeal.

If the staff are genuinely concerned and would like to effectively police them, is it not possible to introduce a system whereby each member of staff can identify who added which tags? This way, if any tags are genuinely offensive or controversial, a staff member can contact the offending site member and warn them?

I guess the staff have to moderate site content and watch their backs and such like, so I can sort of understand why the tags were removed. But yeah, I would doubt very much that any tags literally offended anyone - they were fucking hilarious! And the anonymity added to the appeal.

If the staff are genuinely concerned and would like to effectively police them, is it not possible to introduce a system whereby each member of staff can identify who added which tags? This way, if any tags are genuinely offensive or controversial, a staff member can contact the offending site member and warn them?

exactly, or just remove certain words they wouldnt want to be used or something like that, i could understand if there was a huge uproar like the days of the scene points but a few tags here and there dont hurt surely.

Due to the continued abuse of the Tagging system it has now been disabled.

Fair enough, it's a shame, but people were warned. I noticed only yesterday that allegations about a certain local DJ that had already been vetoed on another thread were raised again in tag form so you can't really blame the mods on this one.