aberdeen-music

GoNorth 2009 ..on the make

Jammer

Why are people talking about CD-Rs? Do bands still send those things out to people? No-one is going to bother their arse opening up a package with a CD-R in it when they can visit a band's MySpace page and listen from there.

Oh, and I wonder how many "music industry experts" GoNorth will by flying up from London expenses paid this year...

Lots of people still prefer CD-R's, from what I've seen people working at labels are far more likely to put on a CD in the office/wherever stereo while they're doing work, rather than open up another tab/window to look at a band's myspace. Also a lot handier if they plan on forwarding MP3's to other employees/people who might be interested. Same goes for getting press, journalists will want a CD-R of your single rather than have to constantly refresh your myspace page while writing a review. Sending high-quality MP3s is becoming a lot more common, however the chances of people downloading unsolicited files is slimmer than the chances of putting on a CD-R while you're doing other things.

No idea about this year obviously, but there have been quite a lot of 'important' - or certainly useful - people attending the showcases in the past.

Lots of people still prefer CD-R's, from what I've seen people working at labels are far more likely to put on a CD in the office/wherever stereo while they're doing work, rather than open up another tab/window to look at a band's myspace. Also a lot handier if they plan on forwarding MP3's to other employees/people who might be interested. Same goes for getting press, journalists will want a CD-R of your single rather than have to constantly refresh your myspace page while writing a review. Sending high-quality MP3s is becoming a lot more common, however the chances of people downloading unsolicited files is slimmer than the chances of putting on a CD-R while you're doing other things.

That'll be the MP3s you first have to rip or copy from the CD-R then? Nah, don't buy that explanation. The promoters and record industry types I know (and granted, I'm don't know any big or important ones) just Google a band's name and then listen to them online. They don't bother fiddling about with CDs.

That'll be the MP3s you first have to rip or copy from the CD-R then? Nah, don't buy that explanation. The promoters and record industry types I know (and granted, I'm don't know any big or important ones) just Google a band's name and then listen to them online. They don't bother fiddling about with CDs.

Well, it's what I know to happen with a bunch of people, so whatev's, really. Obviously not everyone does the same thing, but it'd be silly to suggest that distributing CD-R's is fruitless, because it isn't in a lot of cases. Promoters are a different kettle of fish really, if they're looking for someone to add to a bill it's quicker looking them up online, rather than getting in touch with a band / waiting for CD to arrive, etc, which would probably mean at least a week before they could confirm said band for the bill. Most promoters don't have to answer to other people, either, so don't need music in a format that they can easily distribute.

i would suggest that there is room for both mediums! listening to stuff online is fine but i only have one tinny little speaker on my pc, whereas across the room i have a lovely pioneer amp with kenwood cd player, i know which one i would prefer to listen to new stuff on! but sometimes its quicker and much easier to listen online, it depends on the situation and each individual i guess.

I hate it when people write a statement and put - no? - at the end of it. Is it a statement or is it a question? It is a question, no? Is that to cover you just in case it was a question and the answer to it was no, or is it a pansy challenge: you agree with me *gulp* don't you? I imagine a pained expression on the face of whoever writes that, the uncertainty of what they are thinking welling up in their eyes.

To the point, I'd say that if you have a good quality band and can be bothered putting in the extra effort and drive, I'm sure there is more of a chance of being selected for events like GoNorth. You should have the good songs of course but you also need to give yourself higher levels of exposure than you're lazy counterparts who expect to get in on pure merit of song writing and the minimal effort of sending off a CD. This day in age more than ever you really have to be a bit more than a musician playing in a band, marketing yourself is just as important. Lots of great musicians never achieve their potential because they don't do the other bits and pieces that are required. If you didn't get chosen, use it as an indication that you need to do more rather than complain about it. Chances are your band sits in a genre filled with similar acts putting in equal or more effort.

I expect if the people running the show have a knowledge of bands, which I'm sure they do considering they are putting on an event for them, they probably have an idea, possibly a list, of who they want to play in advance. That would emphasise the point that putting a little effort in over and above making a recording of your songs and putting them on myspace and sending off a CD, not being enough. I say that this rewards those who put a little extra in (what Cloud might consider as brown nosing). There is probably a certain number of spots for groups that are maybe new and write well or that don't put as much effort in but write well.

I used to play in a band that I thought was really good and that we deserved stardom. We were good musicians, writing good songs (or thought they were good) and people gave us good feedback but we were lazy as fuck and didn't do nearly enough to promote ourselves. Looking back, based on our promoting and marketing efforts, we didn't deserve anything more than we achieved. You need to do more if you want to make a mark especially in today's saturated market. Lots of low to mid quality bands thinking they are being hard done by because they didn't get selected for some local showcase. They are probably all fighting for a few slots that hadn't been allocated in advance. Could be eating my words once the line ups are announced but probably not.

Perhaps the constructive criticism GoNorth should take on board would be that their marketing leaves a lot to be desired. I don't even know when it is, although never tried to look (possibly that being the point, you shouldn't have to look for it).

As for starting something similar up in Aberdeen to replace it Lots of people are actually putting on interesting events at the moment. People should attend these regularly and with enthusiasm first to show that it's worth doing something more coordinated. I wouldn't like to get a group of people together to risk all, time and money and mental health, when people don't take full advantage of what they already have.

This post was only supposed to slag Cloud off for writing - no? - after statements so now I'm just reiterating that.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
As far as I know, last year you could enter via sonicbids or via conventional methods (post), given the wording on the sonicbids website, this could be the case this year also. You don't pay $10 to apply for Go North specifically, you pay $10 to use sonicbids - which means you can enter for a multitude of other showcases. If you're the sort of band that enters for these sort of things, you're probably likely to be entering other ones, so $10 probably saves you money, compared to what you'd pay in CD-R's/postage, etc. I'd be surprised if Go North makes much, if any, from using this service, it's merely a way for the selection process to run a little bit smoother for them.

I'm guessing you haven't used Sonicbids, seeing as you used the words "if you're the type of band...".

Just curious - if you have used it, have you had any success with it?

We entered a few things a couple of years ago and got nowhere with it. Waste of money it seems.

Or - has anyone else had any success with Sonicbids?

Just wondering, cos I was speaking about this to someone and told them it was probably best avoided, but I could be wrong, and it could just be that our songs are shit, and if you're a good band it might work! ;)

I'm guessing you haven't used Sonicbids, seeing as you used the words "if you're the type of band...".

Just curious - if you have used it, have you had any success with it?

We entered a few things a couple of years ago and got nowhere with it. Waste of money it seems.

Or - has anyone else had any success with Sonicbids?

Just wondering, cos I was speaking about this to someone and told them it was probably best avoided, but I could be wrong, and it could just be that our songs are shit, and if you're a good band it might work! ;)

I was going to ask if you had actually consiered your last point but you mention it anyway.

A bit of market research before blindly spending money on anything is always good practice.

Also sourcing some feedback about your 'product' to see if it is even worth pushing. It may be that band members are too close to the music to be objective enough to realise that it is not at the stage to spend additional money on so finding an independent ear or ten is a good idea.

Friends telling you your band are great doesn't count.