aberdeen-music

GoNorth 2009 ..on the make

Jammer

This years GoNorth which is in Inverness, is requesting submissions via Sonicbids which ...requires a payment of $10 (yes, it's even in US dollars) up front. Now GoNorth is publicly funded and OK this may be a way of making up funding but is this an acceptable way of doing things?

welcome to www.goevents.info

goNorth 2009, Festivals, Inverness United Kingdom, , - Sonicbids

Guest idol_wild

Given how small scale goNORTH realistically is, I don't believe this is an acceptable way of things.

They should be encouraging artists to contribute a submission, not detering them. :down:

It just makes the whole thing seem like a little bit of a sham.

As far as I know, last year you could enter via sonicbids or via conventional methods (post), given the wording on the sonicbids website, this could be the case this year also. You don't pay $10 to apply for Go North specifically, you pay $10 to use sonicbids - which means you can enter for a multitude of other showcases. If you're the sort of band that enters for these sort of things, you're probably likely to be entering other ones, so $10 probably saves you money, compared to what you'd pay in CD-R's/postage, etc. I'd be surprised if Go North makes much, if any, from using this service, it's merely a way for the selection process to run a little bit smoother for them.

Surely after the endless sham that was the Aberdeen event, people have learnt that GoNorth is about as transparent as a black bag? The selection process has hardly been...fair in years gone by.

They should be ashamed of themselves if they're only accepting submissions via a paid for method if the selection process is still as utterly corrupt and shameless as it was.

Surely after the endless sham that was the Aberdeen event, people have learnt that GoNorth is about as transparent as a black bag? The selection process has hardly been...fair in years gone by.

They should be ashamed of themselves if they're only accepting submissions via a paid for method if the selection process is still as utterly corrupt and shameless as it was.

Read the well put post above yours and also 'get over it!' (and yourself while your at it)

You really are a tiresome young chap arent you!

As far as I know, last year you could enter via sonicbids or via conventional methods (post), given the wording on the sonicbids website, this could be the case this year also. You don't pay $10 to apply for Go North specifically, you pay $10 to use sonicbids - which means you can enter for a multitude of other showcases. If you're the sort of band that enters for these sort of things, you're probably likely to be entering other ones, so $10 probably saves you money, compared to what you'd pay in CD-R's/postage, etc. I'd be surprised if Go North makes much, if any, from using this service, it's merely a way for the selection process to run a little bit smoother for them.

Right on Mr Scott.

Read the well put post above yours and also 'get over it!' (and yourself while your at it)

You really are a tiresome young chap arent you!

It's about time for the annual GoNorth argument, no?

Every year, GoNorth do something dodgy and every year, it's commented on. What's different this time round?

It's about time for the annual GoNorth argument, no?

Every year, GoNorth do something dodgy and every year, it's commented on. What's different this time round?

Point out the dodgy part?

As stated 10 dollars is about the same cost, if not cheaper, than buying an appropriate sized padded envlelope that will hold a nice photocopied/printed biog and glossy photos along with a well packaged CD.

'Hmmmm. Will I stay sitting on the couch in my pants munching pringles an upload some MP3s to the World Wide Web during the adverts in Lost or will I head out in the pissing rain?'

Now correct me if I'm wrong but actually investing some TLC and money to promote and market your beloved rock n roll pop combo didnt get phased out with the demise of vinyl as the popular method of listening to music?

Well I hate to be parochial, but Aberdeen is better (in every sense) than Dundee and Inverness put together, so I suppose those places need something going on. Go North is a confused entity that is neither fish nor flesh, and suffers subsequently, if you play it, treat it as a drink blagging exercise. It is not now, nor ever will be, an essential In The City/SXSW event.

Well I hate to be parochial, but Aberdeen is better (in every sense) than Dundee and Inverness put together, so I suppose those places need something going on. Go North is a confused entity that is neither fish nor flesh, and suffers subsequently, if you play it, treat it as a drink blagging exercise. It is not now, nor ever will be, an essential In The City/SXSW event.

And that is another good point well made... Its a fun gig not to be mistaken for a big career opportunity!

I disagree about the postage element (under 1.50 CDR, envelop and postage) and any smooth selection process ...as it depends on the internal process not the method of entry. If it HAS to be an upload entry then just make free because I'm sure this payment method will discourage people from entry (credit cards etc).

I'm actually disappointed that as usual I had to find out about this event on a Central Belt website, which goes to show that even after all these years they still can't promote the event to the local areas via press / web resources. And I also would agree with Cloud about transparency especially when the financial climate is like this so that the funding and processes can be seen to work.

I disagree about the postage element (under 1.50 CDR, envelop and postage) and any smooth selection process ...as it depends on the internal process not the method of entry. If it HAS to be an upload entry then just make free because I'm sure this payment method will discourage people from entry (credit cards etc).

If you read my post correctly (you obviously didn't), you'll see that I pointed out that the $10 (note, $ not ) would probably end up saving you money if you entered the NUMEROUS other showcases that being a user of sonicbids allows you to. QUITE OBVIOUSLY, posting one CD-R w/a one sheet is going to be cheaper than $10. It also obviously makes it smoother as the panel can simply log into sonicbids and look through the acts, rather than pass one CD-R through a number of people.

Exactly - it's worth pointing out that doing things like In The City / SXSW are only really worth the expense if you've already got interest / already have a label/publishing deal and looking for the other half. The vast majority of 'important' people are going to be checking out bands they already know about, they're not going to be spending the majority of their time watching Johnny and the Nobodys.

If you read my post correctly (you obviously didn't), you'll see that I pointed out that the $10 (note, $ not ) would probably end up saving you money if you entered the NUMEROUS other showcases that being a user of sonicbids allows you to. QUITE OBVIOUSLY, posting one CD-R w/a one sheet is going to be cheaper than $10. It also obviously makes it smoother as the panel can simply log into sonicbids and look through the acts, rather than pass one CD-R through a number of people.

The exchange rate is not that bad yet...but there is no guarantee with whichever method you choose (postal / online), and there is also no transparency with Sonicbids.

I did say that online could be a suitable method but still don't see why a charge should be made for entry to this events selection process... and then there is my point about payment via credit cards which puts off entry...

when dedalus had a gig at go north we got invited to do a gig at the offshoot go hi festival which turned out to be the best and most fun gig dedalus ever did. obviously we then became super famous and split up in a hail of coke and hookers all on the back of go north.

Same happened to Genevieve after our Go North experience, except the Go High bit though we did play in Elgin the night after.

I did say that online could be a suitable method but still don't see why a charge should be made for entry to this events selection process... and then there is my point about payment via credit cards which puts off entry...

Sonicbids is a business like any other, it has to make revenue from somewhere. People who enter these sorts of events, Go North, Rockness ect are probably finding it very useful. It'll save bands printing promo shots, bios and CDs. Remember it is also a one-off payment, so if you use it a few times what is the big deal?

And I also would agree with Cloud about transparency especially when the financial climate is like this so that the funding and processes can be seen to work.

The thing that's sad about the whole thing is that they continue to keep up the whole pretence that it's a fair and open selection policy, when in reality, it is anything but. Is it a condition of their public funding or something that they continue to pretend about this?

It's a shame that no-one bothered in Aberdeen to launch a subsitute for GoNorth - the idea itself is fantastic, and I wish something similar was happening here.

Point out the dodgy part?

Oh come on, you've been arguing with me about this for years, you know fine well that they operate one of the most obviously-corrupt selection processes in a very corrupt industry. There's more, but I can't remeber most of it these days.

For me, the problem is that they're making people believe that by paying $10, they'll be considered. The reality (and I doubt anything has changed!) is that two or three bands might be picked off the back of it, but the vast majority of local band slots go to people already moving/sucking up in the right circles.

Sorry but thats not quite right.

Sonicbids are offering you a month free membership and a submission for Go North for $10.

After your free month you would have to pay $66 for a years membership, although they used to let you pay for monthly membership, not sure if that still applies though?

If you wish to submit for any other events they have, it can cost you anything from $5 to $30 for each submission, depending on the event.

SXSW was $25 to apply, with the chances of be picked very slim I would guess, although why would you want to go across there without some sort of major hype behind you? IMHO of course

Also they have The Great Escape festival on at the moment and it is $30 to apply.

Last year for Gonorth you could indeed just apply through their Website for free or through Sonicbids or both!!

The thing that's sad about the whole thing is that they continue to keep up the whole pretence that it's a fair and open selection policy, when in reality, it is anything but. Is it a condition of their public funding or something that they continue to pretend about this?

It's a shame that no-one bothered in Aberdeen to launch a subsitute for GoNorth - the idea itself is fantastic, and I wish something similar was happening here.

Oh come on, you've been arguing with me about this for years, you know fine well that they operate one of the most obviously-corrupt selection processes in a very corrupt industry. There's more, but I can't remeber most of it these days.

For me, the problem is that they're making people believe that by paying $10, they'll be considered. The reality (and I doubt anything has changed!) is that two or three bands might be picked off the back of it, but the vast majority of local band slots go to people already moving/sucking up in the right circles.

Not really been arguing with you over this. I don't doubt for a minute that there some truth in what you are saying re the selection process. However, it is probably not quite as conspiratorial as you suggest or think... I have never been involved at that level so genuinely don't know. Its the music industry (with a small i) so to believe that this doesn't happen in some manner would be folly but if it the case of pushing a band that 'do' stand a chance then fair enough I say.

Why are people talking about CD-Rs? Do bands still send those things out to people? No-one is going to bother their arse opening up a package with a CD-R in it when they can visit a band's MySpace page and listen from there.

Oh, and I wonder how many "music industry experts" GoNorth will by flying up from London expenses paid this year...

Guest idol_wild
Why are people talking about CD-Rs? Do bands still send those things out to people? No-one is going to bother their arse opening up a package with a CD-R in it when they can visit a band's MySpace page and listen from there.

Well, from experience and general research, many labels simply delete any emails with an mp3 attachment or a myspace link. They prefer an actual CD to be sent.

Radio stations prefer this method also, by and large.

And also, if I ran a label (something I am considering doing in the near future) then I'd prefer acts to send me a CD through the post aswell, with a wee press pack/bio of some sort. Perhaps just to see they've gone to the sheer effort of producing something physical, as much as anything.