aberdeen-music

Spl 2

Lemonade

So there won't be relegation and promotion?

What I think needs doing in the SFL is a system to let some of the East of Scotland / Highland League teams up into Division 3. Some of the dead wood that has been propping up Division 3 for years (Elgin, East Stirling etc.) really have no business still being in the league if they consisently finish bottom, and Ross County, P****head, and ICT have shown that the Highland League clubs can more than hold their own in the league given a chance.

Some of the dead wood that has been propping up Division 3 for years (Elgin, East Stirling etc.) really have no business still being in the league if they consisently finish bottom

Ignoramus

Shires fortunes have improved greatly and are in playoff mode, Forfar came last in 07/08 and Elgin havent been that poor until the season.

The 3rd is a very tight league and most of the HL and EOS would have problems getting out of it.

Ignoramus

Shires fortunes have improved greatly and are in playoff mode, Forfar came last in 07/08 and Elgin havent been that poor until the season.

The 3rd is a very tight league and most of the HL and EOS would have problems getting out of it.

your right, plus most of these teams have been around for a hell of a lot longer than some of the ESPEELLL clubs, at the end of the day someone has to finish bottom, doesnt mean they should be kicked out of football for it.

your right, plus most of these teams have been around for a hell of a lot longer than some of the ESPEELLL clubs, at the end of the day someone has to finish bottom, doesnt mean they should be kicked out of football for it.

No, but if they rounded up their players & had them publicly flogged then it would be certainly be a great motivator.

I don't really understand it. How is it all going to work? Isn't it just going to be Division one but with a fancy name? Can someone explain it to me in simple terms?

I've been following this pretty closely, so this is how I understand it.

An 'SPL2' will be created out of the existing SFL Division 1, which should introduce SPL-style rules into that division. I'm not sure what the actual rules proposed are - but I suspect it'll be someting like all seater stadium, undersoil heating and minimum capacity along with being full time clubs. Apparently 3000 seats is to be the proposed minimum, which is fair enough for a professional structure.

I think the idea is that there should be 22 strong, full time clubs in Scotland - so it does make sense. The SPL did raise standards in terms of professionalism, that much is undisputable - and I think they hope to apply this to the proposed SPL2. They've probably also seen the way that the English Championship has increased in recognition since the renaming.

I'm pretty sure there will still be promotion and relegation in/out of the system - although the SPL would like to have 22 teams under their umbrella and no promotion/relegation out of it, I don't think the SFA will accept such a structure. They tried once and got told to piss off, so it would seem pretty unlikely that they would be allowed this time.

But I think the end aim is to force the SFL to finally embrace the pyramid system. It would make sense, but I don't think the Junior teams will want to enter it. But if they did, a national top SFL division to determine promotion into the professional setup, then regionalisation from then on would make sense. The whole English concept of a team being able to start on a village park and make their way into the Premiership is incredibly romantic - yet the ability to freefall down through the divisions is what keeps teams on their toes.

I think though, a ten team 'SPL2' is useless. It would make more sense to move to 16 teams - surely Raith, Ayr, Stirling and three others could make up the teams? Fair enough, it would then be incredibly difficult to get out of and into the SPL proper - but is that bad?

• 2 weeks later...

Seems stupid adding on all these regulations when none of these teams have any money in the first place and the likes of Hamilton struggle to atttract 3000.

I don't see why they don't just make the SPL bigger - 16-18 teams and everyone just plays each other home and away. Surely it'd be a lot more exciting...and 2 or 3 teams go down

Seems stupid adding on all these regulations when none of these teams have any money in the first place and the likes of Hamilton struggle to atttract 3000.

I don't see why they don't just make the SPL bigger - 16-18 teams and everyone just plays each other home and away. Surely it'd be a lot more exciting...and 2 or 3 teams go down

The argument is supposedly that the likes of Kilmarnock and St Mirren rely quite heavily on the (potentially, the split makes it even more farcial) two home games against the Old Firm. I suppose the Old Firm also quite like it, as it gives them even more chance to run away with the league. If they only played each team twice, they'd be much more reliant on making their home grounds fortresses.