aberdeen-music

D.I.Y. Sky+ installation

Hugh_Jazz

Has anybody installed Sky+ themselves?

I'm upgrading from bog-standard Sky to Sky+.....had a Sky engineer come round last Friday to install it, only to be told that they're not insured to work in my loft. Useless. Anyway, I've decided to do it myself....apart from a bit of faffing around running the cables, it looks easy enough.

I need to fit a quad-LNB to the dish to replace the existing single LNB......but there's a huge price range on these. There's loads on eBay for about a tenner.......but there are also a few in the 70-80 range. Is there any benefit going down the more expensive route? Even the cheap models are claimed to be OK for Sky HD, so I'm guessing the more expensive models are just offering higher signal/noise ratio......would I even notice the difference?

Any help most appreciated.

Has anybody installed Sky+ themselves?

I'm upgrading from bog-standard Sky to Sky+.....had a Sky engineer come round last Friday to install it, only to be told that they're not insured to work in my loft. Useless. Anyway, I've decided to do it myself....apart from a bit of faffing around running the cables, it looks easy enough.

I need to fit a quad-LNB to the dish to replace the existing single LNB......but there's a huge price range on these. There's loads on eBay for about a tenner.......but there are also a few in the 70-80 range. Is there any benefit going down the more expensive route? Even the cheap models are claimed to be OK for Sky HD, so I'm guessing the more expensive models are just offering higher signal/noise ratio......would I even notice the difference?

Any help most appreciated.

The really cheap LNBs aren't usually particularly well weather proofed and don't represent value for money longevity-wise. The more expensive ones do also guard against signal loss as they usually have better connections but your cabling will also be important in that respect.

The most important thing to make sure you do is sealing the whole thing correctly to ensure that no moisture interferes with the cabling and LNB because that will really fuck up your signal and may just create a small pipe of water into your frontroom.

I'm sure there are plenty of guides online as to how to do it correctly but if you're at all technically minded and practical then i'm sure you'll be fine :)