aberdeen-music

Punk Rock

waltz

Fucking loved I Farm. Their only original member has left though, so they have now changed their name, to a name that completely escapes me. I doubt they'll play anything before VI, but that's okay. They were better at doing the fuzzy math-rock thing than the jerky Kid Dynamite thing anyway.

John's band before I Farm, called Someday I, are also pretty awesome, and in a similar vein to latter day I Farm, but a bit more indie/rock. Fuzzy raw guitars aplenty though. Love it.

Has anyone even mentioned Born Against, yet?

Best hardcore band, as far as I'm concerned. and Books Lie. Apart from that, I'm not really into hardcore much anymore.

New Propagandhi record has leaked onto torrents. You should probably download it if you're into punk rock sounding Dream Theatre covers.

Reverb, guitar harmonies, cheese metal riffs, crooning. I can't decide if I like it. I liked PCL even though it sounded as equally as stadium rock as this does...

propagandhi are the shipping tits.

propagandhi are the shipping tits.

Todays Empires was flawless from start to finish. Potemkin, whilst having a handful of brilliant tracks, and the best album ending track I can think of, was still a bit tacky and cheesy sounding. It really lacked the authenticity of the album before it. The new one is a bit of an odd one. It's mostly Chris's overly melodic anthems which mostly lack any distinct qualities from one song to the next, and a couple of Todd's fast 1 and a half minute thrash a thons. It doesn't really gel. Also, 3/4 of the way through the second song, you encounter a Black Album era Metallica type acoustic breakdown. Just fucking weird.

It was strange that Fat Wreck didn't even want to touch this one. Instead, they are poaching the most popular of Ramones copyists from tiny labels and releasing the ten billionth Lagwagon record.

I completely agree. I've always thought it's something to do with women being born into a male-dominated society and all having something to be naturally angry at from birth, but I'll stop before going into full Gloria Steinem mode! I've liked everything I've heard by Team Dresch but haven't got any of their stuff so I'll put that on the 'to buy' list.

I think a lot of the girl-fronted Indiepop/'twee'/C86 stuff had a lot of punk at the heart of it. Most of it might have been jangly pop in sound but there's a lot of punk ideology and feeling at the root of stuff like Talulah Gosh (Testcard Girl in particular), Heavenly and The Shop Assistants etc.

Double yes for Le Tigre! I like L7 as well and Sleater Kinney also deserve a mention.

I'd love to form a riot grrrl style band, but I feel my lack of ovaries would arouse suspicion.

There's a ton of Riot Girl (I'm not using the word "Grrl"!) bands with guys in.

As far as the genre is concerned, I only really like Sleater Kinney. I think it helped that they can actually play their instruments compared to most. Punk rock bands that are female-fronted seem to be in a completely different league. They're not as annoying either.

Kathleen Hannah comes across as a right annoying shit.

So, the moral is; Don't listen to riot grill. Listen to Born Against.

As far as the genre is concerned, I only really like Sleater Kinney. I think it helped that they can actually play their instruments compared to most. Punk rock bands that are female-fronted seem to be in a completely different league. They're not as annoying either.

So, the moral is; Don't listen to riot grill. Listen to Born Against.

Don't you talk about Kathleen Hannah like that! I know where you live!

(Though you are about a foot taller than me so chances are I probably won't do anything) :up:

So, the moral is; Don't listen to riot grill. Listen to Bjorn Again.

Fixed...

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Sorry about that, Mr. Elitist.

You shouldn't interact with people.

Don't be sorry, just try knowing what you're talking about. There's a world of difference between elitism and pointing out that what you know wouldn't cover a postage stamp.

I'll interact how I want son, you're in no position to stop me.