aberdeen-music

Punk Rock

waltz

• 2 weeks later...
aye twas a great night indeed!

b&t were awesome (although less of the humble-but-preachy punx banter would be nice) and Mesa Verde were terrific!

Dont think anyone from Aberdeen made it down in the end?

i wish i had gone. started listening to them the night before the show and reallly liked what i heard. if i had read this thread earlier i probably would have gone too. duff.

i dont really have much time for it if it is ott like b&t were

each to their own and all that, if they have a message so be it, but i don't appreciate it being made out that people are not part of a diy community because they wear a suit to work in a non independent business, shop in tesco's and have a career whilst making a decent living for themselves (which pays for em to go to gigs and buy merch lulz).

Maybe I'm jaded, cynical and can't be arsed with the PUNX police/sheep. All I know is; I like what I like and I really liked B&T's music and set.

Guest treader.

I've never understood the whole 'anarchy' outlook on life. It would be fucking TERRIBLE.

All that would happen is PUNX kids would smoke pot, drink beer, play guitar and cut each other's hair and nothing would ever get done ever.

YEAH, DOWN WITH STARBUCKS AND THE POLICE N THAT.

i dont really have much time for it if it is ott like b&t were

each to their own and all that, if they have a message so be it, but i don't appreciate it being made out that people are not part of a diy community because they wear a suit to work in a non independent business, shop in tesco's and have a career whilst making a decent living for themselves (which pays for em to go to gigs and buy merch lulz).

Maybe I'm jaded, cynical and can't be arsed with the PUNX police/sheep. All I know is; I like what I like and I really liked B&T's music and set.

Were we at the same gig? There was plenty banter about how it was nice to be in a venue outside of pubs, how DIY community was important and such, and a bit about Jeff's teaching career, but I don't remember much in the way of preaching, especially not anything suggesting you're a horrible sellout, Maxi (although you are, in fact, the very scourge of punk rock).

PS. bet my work suit's nicer than your work suit.

twas all of that stuff about "big business & exploitation. it has no place in this community" and the like, quite a few people from up this way kinda picked up on it too

Not a major gripe or anything and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the music too much. They seemed like nice people and were a dead good band and that's all I am really bothered about.

i AM a horrible sell out and am quite comfortable with it :D

You mean a weegie suit?

bin-liners-gal-festival-431.jpg

Well, what place does big business and exploitation have in the DIY community? Doesn't seem a very contentious thing to say to me. Although in saying that I'm not exactly sure where the threat comes from, we didn't exactly have McDonalds mailing to ask to sponsor the gig or owt.

probably not a lot, but people shouldnt be made to feel inferior because they dont use independent shops and the like, which is pretty much what they said before the start of one song and egged up the cheers from a bunch of foany hypocrites. It seems like its the type of thing that people spout off to get kudos, my point is if people are going to say these things then surely they should back it up with their actions? Im pretty sure bridge and tunnel use huge supermarkets whilst on tour and they use stuff like pharmaceutical products and non-bio fuel on a daily basis.

punx in general = "fuck the man!" etc but lets go to tesco and buy cheap strongbow/buckie et al to help us protest against the g8 etc. it's all a load of propaganda nonsense.

vote with your actions, not with your mouth.

I have no idea what has gotten into me today. I'm going to stop posting and go back to being a positive motherfucker

probably not a lot, but people shouldnt be made to feel inferior because they dont use independent shops and the like, which is pretty much what they said before the start of one song and egged up the cheers from a bunch of foany hypocrites. It seems like its the type of thing that people spout off to get kudos, my point is if people are going to say these things then surely they should back it up with their actions? Im pretty sure bridge and tunnel use huge supermarkets whilst on tour and they use stuff like pharmaceutical products and non-bio fuel on a daily basis.

punx in general = "fuck the man!" etc but lets go to tesco and buy cheap strongbow/buckie et al to help us protest against the g8 etc. it's all a load of propaganda nonsense.

vote with your actions, not with your mouth.

I have no idea what has gotten into me today. I'm going to stop posting and go back to being a positive motherfucker

Nobody's perfect though. I do lots of things that aren't the most ethical path, but you work on it in little bits, eh - go to Tesco less, buy union-made trainies (which'll probably be cheaper) instead of Converse or whatever. It's aspirational, rather than prescriptive. In your argument no one can propose positive movements because not every aspect of their own actions is perfect, which is obviously absurd.

I'd be sad if punk bands weren't talking about things like that, real things that people can do that are for the better. Sure beats whining about girls or taking clichd pops at 'Dubya' or whatever.

I'd prefer a band making me feel awful about eating meat than a band waterboarding me in a bizarre act of loyalty to Dick Cheney. So what? Neither of those things happened at this gig, and it was all awesome.

PS. I scoffed a beef lasagne while they munched their vegan chilli. I didn't mean for this outrageous provocation to occur, but Sarah claimed there wouldn't be enough chilli for me too (there was in the end, d'oh) and that was all I had in the fridge. The world kept turning though.