aberdeen-music

Punk Rock

waltz

I really know very little about the older 'punk rock' bands, so i'm gonna through Yo Man, Go! into the mix;

Yo Man Go! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Awesome pop punk rock whatever! Check out butrous understands me. best thing ever!

Shame they split up :(

shame you are wrong, because i think this is unquestionably better...

Perth Express (R.I.P.)...[4-way split out now!!!] on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Enjoying those Bikini Kill Cds, comrade? I miss them actually. Ooops.

I could throw Huggy Bear into the mix if Bikini Kill are being referenced. Possibly too girly for you though, Euan, as I know you're all man!

Very much, they are on high rotation. In fact I was listening to Pussy Whipped just this morning. Trying to talk the Cobra Kai guys into doing a cover of "Rebel Girl" but they don't seem too keen....

Spazz, No Comment, Infest, Crossed Out, DRI, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Scholastic Death, DS-13, Capitalist Casualties, Widespread Bloodshed, Dropdead, Wolfbrigade, Skitsystem, Disfear, Oi Polloi, Scatha.....

You probably won't like most of them. I do think you should check out DS-13 though.

pretty much this. also if you want to listen fast radge stuff with THE BEST VOCALS EVER:

Weekend Nachos on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

technical stuff with great vocal interplay and ace bass work, check out man is the bastard

but really, just listen to weekend nachos and crossed out and you'll get the idea, pretty much.

It depends what your looking for. I think the term 'punk' has become kind of devoid of meaning. Watched a Henry Rollins (you probably know, but if not see 'black flag') interview where he said that after the emergence of hardcore punk in the 80's and specifically (alhtough they weren't considered to our standards punk, but were the catalyst for todays music) The breakthrough of Nirvana into the mainstream. Major record labels realised that music they thought wouldn't sell to the masses, specifically kids outcast by societies general standards. And through the late 80's/early 90's there was a flood of not punk, as in 'oi oi' or even 'i don't like you even if you come to my concert, i just wanna get the rage out', but rock influenced punk./hardcore. And suddenly you get the likes of Rancid, NOFX, Bad Religion, Pennywise etc. who brought punk into the mainstream but not in its conventional sense.

So it depends what your looking for. If its fast and angry or melodic or technical etc. these things will really define what your looking for more than the term'punk' will. But before this becomes an essay on the development of punk from underground to mainstream I'll say, right now I am listening to:

Strike Anywhere - fast politically fueled melodic punk inspired rock.

H20 - socially aware hardcore influenced melodic new york punksters.

Leftover Crack/star fucking Hipsters etc -wiki crack rock steady 7 and look for pretty much any of the bands that emerged out of that scene. (Choking victim, indk, morning glory, no cash etc...even if stza does sound like cartman on crack)

big d and the kids table - seminal ska/punk band, a must if you're into ska.

Very much, they are on high rotation. In fact I was listening to Pussy Whipped just this morning. Trying to talk the Cobra Kai guys into doing a cover of "Rebel Girl" but they don't seem too keen....

I've also been trying to rope my band into BK covers, specifically 'New Radio'. On the Riot Grrrl front, the aforementioned Huggy Bear are worth a shot as are Bratmobile.

On the heavier 'three chords and the truth' side of things The Casualties are well worth a listen. Better off listening to their old stuff before they discovered production values, the first few albums sound like someone's chucked a mic into the middle of a bar floor and recorded what's happening, and it's fucking amazing (if you like that kind of thing). http://http://www.myspace.com/thecasualtiesearlyyears

Also the more obvious stuff, some of which has been mentioned... Ramones, NY Dolls, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, The Stooges, The Cramps, RFTC, The Bronx, Misfits, Rancid, NOFX, etc etc.

Presumably The Clash and the Sex Pistols go without saying?

• Upvote 1

I've also been trying to rope my band into BK covers, specifically 'New Radio'. On the Riot Grrrl front, the aforementioned Huggy Bear are worth a shot as are Bratmobile.

New Radio is probably the punkest song I've ever heard. I kind of think women are a bit better at being punk than blokes.

I'd also recommend Team Dresch. You might want to check out their album 'Personal Best'.