aberdeen-music

Punk Rock

waltz

Minor Threat; Naked Raygun; Sick Of It All; Propagandhi; Descendents...

Even more obvious, but you can't go wrong with most NOFX and Bad Religion if you want fast, angry and simplistic. Against Me! are/were great.

I had loads in my head but I've drawn a blank now. Bollocks.

Oh and if anyone says any of the bands I've listed "aren't punk" I hope they get impaled on a mohican.

Joe will be here in a minute i'm sure!

8fdc6ce7-76fa-11da-b964-0f09f07f632c.wmv.flv.jpg

Are you after bands that are still going, or bands considered essential, otherwise, I wouldn't really know where to start.

Start with Kid Dynamite, maybe?. They are fast and they sort of stuck it to the man, without being cartoony and gimmicky like Anti Flag or something. Considered quite essential for that kind of thing too. Their members went on to form Paint it Black and None More Black. The former being along the same lines, and the latter being slower, but way more rocking, and one of my favourite bands.

%7Boption%7Dcartoony and gimmicky like Anti Flag or something.

Excellent description! A nauseating combination embarrassingly adolescent lyrical content and cringeworthy "sincerity" delivered by guys who've been old enough to know better for about 20 years. Making bands like them more popular by giving them an easy target is far and away the worst thing Bush ever did.

Waaaaaar

(OI!OI!OI!)

Iiiiiiisssss

(OI!OI!OI!)

BAD!!!

Cretins.

Blake has a new band on the go with Aaron Cometbus (Crimpshrine, CBDS etc...). They don't have any recordings, but a couple of crafty videos are doing the rounds on YouTube. They sound mint.

Listen to FUEL, too. Early Fugazi worship mixed with what Hot Water Music ended up sounding like, but 5 years before they formed.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

the clash, the ramones, the misfits, the queers, black flag, the descendents, jeez i spent enough solid teenage years listening to this junk, you'd think i could name more bands than I have fingers

without getting into a debate about what punk rock is...are you talking about stuff like what i have mentioned? it's a pretty wide label.

other bands i'm fond of that might fit the bill...swing kids, blood brothers, at the drive in?

or for noisier stuff that aren't into the realms of metal or hardcore...arab on radar, the locust, melt banana?

and just for the hell of it you should probably pick up most of spazz' discography

Blake has a new band on the go with Aaron Cometbus (Crimpshrine, CBDS etc...). They don't have any recordings, but a couple of crafty videos are doing the rounds on YouTube. They sound mint.

I have a bootleg of a Thorns of Life show they did at Gilman Street. Sounds shit hot, but the first song, about Blake losing his virginity, is really horrible. But yeah, Jawbreaker ftw or whatever.

I would reccomend checking out - Banner Pilot, The Bronx, Latterman, Shorebirds [feat. members of Latterman and Jawbreaker!], Mouthbreather, Screeching Weasel, ealier Crime In Stereo stuff [...Is Dead is a cracking good album, but a departure from their early sound], Dead To Me, Lifetime, Shook Ones, Propagandhi [supporting Caste sounds fucking amazing!!], The Steal and You, Me and the Atom Bomb.

Guest idol_wild
Bikini Kill.

Enjoying those Bikini Kill Cds, comrade? I miss them actually. Ooops.

I could throw Huggy Bear into the mix if Bikini Kill are being referenced. Possibly too girly for you though, Euan, as I know you're all man!