• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment (the next ten minutes) my fav's are

1. Helter Skelter

2. I am the Walrus

3. Mr Postman

4. Yesterday (Wouldn't be a huge fan if it didn't have big sentimental value to me)

5. Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Happiness Is A Warm Gun (White Album)

I'm Only Sleeping (Revolver)

I've Just Seen A Face (Help!)

She's Leaving Home (Sgt Peppers)

I'm So Tired (White Album)

As with everyone else, thats just of the here and now. Even then there is some utterly criminal omissions. By fuck what a band.

I love the way 90% of people's choices so far have been songs that you'd never hear on the radio (and you'll hear a dozen Beatles songs on the radio a week) and no-one has a list remotely similar to anothers, yet I don't think anyone is thinking 'what the fuck' to anyones inclusions.

I have a completely rational hatred of anyone who doesn't love The Beatles...its ruined a number of friendships and relationships.

*edit* Noticing that a few folk have put in covers and since I am dying to add to that list in anyway...

Top 5 Covers by The Beatles

1. You Really Got A Hold On Me

2. Twist and Shout

3. Money

4. Words of Love

5. Please Mister Postman

my friend let me hear a live recording of the beatles with jimmy hendrix, it was amazing, although, live the beatles wernt as great as is made out.

I'm pretty sure that they never played together although Lennon is rumoured to be on a Hendrix BBC Session cover of Day Tripper

They did stop playing live in 66 before their songs really progressed beyond the traditional 3 minute pop song though and live, they could barely ever hear themselves for screams,hence the fact they stopped touring which also may explain their preference of recording in the studio. I'm not sure they were ever made out to be amazing live...other than BBC Sessions, they are one of the few bands of massive status with no live albums currently in print.

I think you'll find that they had played a few live gigs before they started recording as the Beatles, and the noise from the lassies screaming sort of knackered the chance of a live record being any good.

Personally, I have a theory that these days Beatles records are never played loud enough. Turn them up as though they were either live, or on a fuck-off jukebox in the chipper - class!

I'm pretty sure that they never played together although Lennon is rumoured to be on a Hendrix BBC Session cover of Day Tripper

They did stop playing live in 66 before their songs really progressed beyond the traditional 3 minute pop song though and live, they could barely ever hear themselves for screams,hence the fact they stopped touring which also may explain their preference of recording in the studio. I'm not sure they were ever made out to be amazing live...other than BBC Sessions, they are one of the few bands of massive status with no live albums currently in print.

thats the one! although it sounds like there are a few of the beatles, but its def the hendrix drummer and hendrix himself.

I love the way 90% of people's choices so far have been songs that you'd never hear on the radio (and you'll hear a dozen Beatles songs on the radio a week) and no-one has a list remotely similar to anothers, yet I don't think anyone is thinking 'what the fuck' to anyones inclusions.

This is a key point I think. The Beatles had so many excellent "album tracks". I think there is perhaps a danger of over-familiarity with the singles, hence you get clowns who haven't heard the albums saying "I don't like The Beatles" because they're fed up with Yellow Submarine or She Love You.

Well...I did say that to myself when I saw 'Don't bring me down' on some lists, but that's because it's one of the few Beatles songs which get on my loon-paps.

Don't Bring Me Down was The Electric Light Orchestra. ;)

Don't Let Me Down used to be a skipper for me, but I can tolerate it these days.

On the subject, reading a cracking book just now : 'Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain and America'.

Not yer usual biographical account, a lot of sociology and history thrown in as well. There was a definite gap in my Beatles knowledge - probably because I think the Stones were cooler and prefer reading about Brian Jones etc - but an essential read.

I do think it's fascinating how George Harrison was 25 in 1968 as the Beatles were nearing the end. It's quite difficult to get my head around! Achieving all that so young. Tremendous. Although I suppose you could say that about loads've people, Weller in The Jam for instance.............

No Beatles were present, it was Noel Redding doing the backing vocals in a Beatles style.

Spot on, can't believe that misconception is still being aired (saw it on a Radio 2 Messageboard post the other week too) as it sounds nothing like any of The Beatles.

Top 5...for this moment in time but it's nearly impossible as there's so much choice:

In My Life

Something

Strawberry Fields Forever

A Day In The Life

Can't Buy Me Love

• 1 year later...