aberdeen-music

Aberdeen '97 is McGee's 4th best ever Oasis gig

What Scene?

McGee on music: My top five Oasis gigs | Music | guardian.co.uk

There's a secret pain within me that only gets triggered at mention of this gig!! I was massive into Oasis as a 15 year old in '97, but didn't go! Was away when the tickets went onsale and suffered the turmoil of seeing my mates at the front of the queue on BBC Scotland whilst having my mince and tatties!!!

I think he's on crack then. I was there and it was mediocre at best. It went a long way to turning me from a huge Oasis fan into a casual observer, in fact I haven't bought any of they're albums since.

I saw them again at the AECC a couple of years ago and it was more or less the same, ie not that great. I just think they're a very boring live band.

Isn't that the one where he had a pissy fit about bottles, or laser pens or something?

Let's be honest, Oasis are our Stones, our Beatles and yes our U2. Buying an Oasis record is the closest you will get to reliving those classic bands, so you might as well embrace it.

What a cunt. I feel like kicking his face in for that comment.

I didn't even bother clicking on that story when I read the guardian site earlier. The headline said "McGhee: why copying U2 made oasis the world's greatest live band" or something along those lines and I just knew it was going to be the usual shite from Alan McGhee.

I was at 2, AECC and Loch Lomond. AECC was pretty boring but that's unsurprising since it was in support of 'Be Here Now' which consists of songs that are twice as long as they should be. Travis were the support and were really good, pity they went so dull after that first album.

Loch Lomond was a good day out but as with most outdoor gigs the sound was awful.

I also remember seeing them on The Word so I suppose that makes 3 out of 5.

Saw them at Murrayfield in 2000. Still the most boring gig of my life.

I pleaded with mate who could drive to go through to Inverness with me to see them on the co-headline tour with Whiteout. That might have been good but even by 1997 they were boring shite.

Alan McGee does something every day to destroy his legacy. Those comments are utter pish.

Yeah, I mean for me, it was more the whole event that I was missing. I mean, if you're around 26/27 like I am, you would have been completely immersed in all things Oasis from like 13 years old - should you wanted to have been of course. I did, and I loved it. I remember getting my mum to get me 'Be Here Now' the day it came out, and I rode along with the record for a couple of months and then thought, this is absolutely sh1te!

I still can't play that record, it's terrible. And I didn't even buy the next one because that was even worse. But I completely agree with McGee's sentiments when he talks about the Beatles and Stones. I certainly haven't seen since Oasis that MASS societal clamour to buy the singles, wear the clothes, queue all night for gigs etc. Something monumental did happen in 94/95 I think. Yes, there was The Strokes, yes there was The Libertines and yes, there was the Arctic Monkeys, but nothing has came close, in my eyes to 94-97.

I think in many respects, it is people who hate the band (which they are perfectly entitled to do) who don't want to recognise the huge impact on society which Oasis etc had - good or bad. To me, 94-97 speaks for itself. 'Lad culture' will always be there, whether people like it or not.

I also remember seeing them on The Word so I suppose that makes 3 out of 5.

snap. and i remember seeing them at the edinburgh corn exchange (i think? a hulking great concrete shed in the countryside anyway) in particular. 94 maybe? they opened with "too-niiiiie-iii-eee-iiuuhhht i'm a rock n roll star". it was glorious.

the first album was great at the time. i loved it. i think everybody i knew loved it... though i haven't listened to it for years, and it was all downhill from there...

truth be told, i always prefered blur.

snap. and i remember seeing them at the edinburgh corn exchange (i think? a hulking great concrete shed in the countryside anyway) in particular. 94 maybe? they opened with "too-niiiiie-iii-eee-iiuuhhht i'm a rock n roll star". it was glorious.

the first album was great at the time. i loved it. i think everybody i knew loved it... though i haven't listened to it for years, and it was all downhill from there...

That is Ingliston you are thinking of there mate.

As an 18/19 year old I loved Oasis, I was at Loch Lomond on the Sunday and remember what a cracking day it was. Seen them a couple times after that at the AECC, walked out the 2nd time, I think it was in 2002 and Proud Mary supported, as they were terrible.

These days they are a copy of what they were 15 years ago but just in 'middle age man mode', Liam and Noel giving it the big man routine and Noel saying that every new album is the best they have released, Liam having a pop at whoever the NME darlings of the moment are etc etc.

It is actually quite sad.

These days they are a copy of what they were 15 years ago but just in 'middle age man mode', Liam and Noel giving it the big man routine and Noel saying that every new album is the best they have released, Liam having a pop at whoever the NME darlings of the moment are etc etc.

It is actually quite sad.

I wouldn't even say "these days" - there was a point just after the Morning Glory LP came out that they changed forever into a plodding, boring version of themselves that seemed to only recycle "Live Forever", diluting it over and over again or rip off other acts for their singles.

What was once exciting - the T-Rex lifts on Cigarettes and Alcohol, the cover of I Am The Walrus, the Coca-cola sponsored Shakermaker and the brash call to arms of Supersonic (at a time the 'indie' world was all stodgy US grunge and fiddly UK acts past their best - hello Wonderstuff and Levellers) was replaced by lazy steals - the Stevie Wonder rip off 'Step Out', the atrocious Kinks 'homage' on '...Idle' (complete with Dead End Street rip off video) and the track which started the rot - the lazy, lazy, shitty, shitty sub-Quo sounds of Roll With It.

Once they'd had their magicial "first number one" it was all over...and their career had only just begun.

• Upvote 1

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
i actually think oasis are right back on form now, the last album was great, albeit different.

How can a band be a copy of what they are? That doesnt make much sense, Oasis will always sound like Oasis no matter how old or young they are.

I echo this sentiment.

I've been one of those guys that hasn't criticised Oasis whenever they've released anything. Including Standing on the Shoulder of Giants, which looking back is actually very poor by Oasis standards.

I think the first 2 albums are brilliant. Be Here Now, they tried something a little different, and although I think it is a very good album in its own right, it's not a patch on the first two.

The last album is their 3rd best album to date.

As for trying to copy themselves, they get accused of ripping off every other band in the world, so they might as well be accused of ripping off themselves too. :up:

Their last gig in Aberdeen (well the Saturday night anyway, which is the one I attended) was brilliant. I stood up at the back which is the first time I've done so for a gig like this, and just appreciated the tunes, without the hustle and bustle of contending with the inevitable topless neds. The live shows are what Oasis are all about. Liam's voice was top notch that night, and all the arrogance, swagger and stage presence was their in abundance.

Loved it. :)

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Finsbury Park about 7/8 years ago was the best I'd say I've seen them. Although I've been to two in Aberdeen. One the same year as Finsbury Park and one last year - both awesome.

I'd seen them on some recent live performances on TV and Liam's always seemed a little off the boil, but they were bang on last year. Got my tickets for Murrayfield next year - can't wait.

I saw them at Reading 2000, in a mental thunderstorm. It was absolutely bucketing down with rain, the thunder was so loud it drowing out Oasis and there was huge forked lightning crashing across the sky literally every 5 seconds or so. It was quite a spectacle. Then I went back to my tent and found it was flooded and the entire campsite was just a giant mudslide. That was less good.

McGee is a total cock though, check his responses to the justifiable criticism of his Guardian blog, he loses it in total Tebbit style; the following is a badly written response-

my guardian blog readers job vacancies as you lot are all losing your jobs soon, i might need somebody to clean the bogs in the mansion.

For someone who always bangs on about how left-wing he is, he seems to have a total dismissive arrogant materialist head on for these tweets.

Twitter / alanjohnmcgee

PS. Just say no to the reappraisal of U2 as being even remotely listenable.

I've never been to the Corn Exchange, but I did see them at Ingleston Market in about '96 and that fits your description from memory so maybe it was there you saw them, I think they played there several times. That was a good gig, I think the second album was out but hadn't yet suffered from 'Wonderwall' and 'Don't Look Back in Anger' over-exposure.

My favourite time I've seen them was at the first T in the Park, they played in a tent. I think they only had 'Supersonic' out at that point. I always remember someone punting a bog roll towards the stage and it was headed straight at Liam's face and he moved his head at the last minute and just continued singing, thought he was a cool customer for that but how wrong was I to be proved....they were definitely a great band at that point, 'Definitely Maybe' is still a good listen. Unfortunately 'lad' bands tend to go a bit pear shaped, too much exposure/hype matched with a tendency for drug intake seems to be the downfall of a few bands of that nature. Happy Mondays being probably the best example. I suppose you have to kind of admire the fact that Oasis still have a successful career after 14 years or so, regardless of whether their musical output really warrants it.

I think I've always been more biased to Blur as well, although they've come out with some complete dung over the years as well, they were more experimental and changed their sound enough to maintain interest whereas Oasis just kept on going with the same basic formula.

I was at Finsbury Park too, 2002 it was if memory serves right.

I think what made that day as one of my best ever days was the overall quality of the line-up, it was more like an event to me, as opposed to the quality of Oasis' set. Although I think they played 'Columbia' - my favourite Oasis song - and that was immense.

The line up was Proud Mary, The Coral, Cornershop, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and The Charlatans. Nae bad for an Oasis gig!

One of my least clever moves occured on this day as a naive 20 year old, thinking it would be cool to wear my Argentina strip through North London. Knew something was wrong as I stepped on the tube and heard a few guys go 'What's with the Argie top?' and similarly walking through Arsenal country with folk spitting on the road and the police on their radios going 'Watch out for the guy in the Arentina shirt'.

Safe to say not my cleverest move and thankful to my mate for lending me his jumper, or I could've got an absolute kick-in!

What was I thinking!!! o_O

McGee is a total cock though, check his responses to the justifiable criticism of his Guardian blog, he loses it in total Tebbit style; the following is a badly written response-

my guardian blog readers job vacancies as you lot are all losing your jobs soon, i might need somebody to clean the bogs in the mansion.

Ha, i remember reading that/posting in that blog. The guy is an absolute cock. It was for his 'ones to watch in 09', or something, yeah?

I think I was at that Oasis show, and it was the first gig I had ever been to. Obviously great at the time, but all I remember about it was some cringeworthy dedication to Princess Diana and standing at the very back with my uncle.

Every gig since has been better.

Except when my mother took me on a One Up bus to see that at Murrayfield.