aberdeen-music

Album released just on tape?

jcn

Hey folks

I heard there is a new album from a record label that is being released only on tape..?

I think I saw news of it on jockrock or something but I can't remember which label it was. Or indeed where to get it.

Maybe someone from One-up could enlighten me...?

Cheers

Jayne

Guest Tam o' Shantie

45 a side is a tape label run by a forum member. he put out a compilation tape recently...but i don't think he's the only person in the world doing it or anything

• Upvote 1

buy why though?

why would you use an incredibly out dated technology?

You can make a pretty good argument about not making CDs anymore LET ALONE tapes!!

Few reasons man, mainly because i, and many others miss the cassette format. We can put out limited edition runs with low overheads. We are aspiring to release on vinyl but we can't finance that at the moment. So this way we can start getting our name out by releasing tapes, putting on shows, help bands with tours ect, whilst we accumulate the finances for vinyl releases.

There is also a club night in the works, potentially starting sometime in April.

45 A-Side Records on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Guest Tam o' Shantie
buy why though?

why would you use an incredibly out dated technology?

You can make a pretty good argument about not making CDs anymore LET ALONE tapes!!

if this argument pops up once again on this site, the entire internet will explode

I don't know what everyone is getting so upset about - it's only a format, FFS.

I regulary buy releases that are available on cassette - recent one's by thurston moore, MCIAA, northampton wools and the bark haze spring to mind.

There's a bit of a revival going on just now - probably inspired bu nostalgia for casette culture in the 70s and 80s.

Check out the following labels, if you want to get you knickers in a further twist - American Tapes, Obsolete Audio Formats, Heresee, From the Wheelchair to the Pulpit, Object Tapes, Brown Interiour Music, Fuck It Tapes!, Retirement Records, and Lost Sound Tapes.

• Upvote 1

Fuck It! Tapes release, as you can tell by the name, tapes. I think Household Name still release tapes every now and again for bands too. I know all the Antimaniax records have been released on tape through them.

My band released a split tape a couple of years ago, which was put out by Neat Skeleton, although I don't know if he's into releasing that many tapes. It's hard to tell, as he's only done two releases, and the other one was a part in the Jupiter Lander 7"

• Upvote 1

I seem to recall Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s first release was cassette only. In about an edition of 25 or something....and I'm sure Jon Spencer's old band Pussy Galore did a cassette only release covering 'Exile On Main Street'.

I'm sure these could be confirmed by some research but I canna be arsed.

I've still got shit lots of tapes, been meaning to sell off all the duplicates I have on CD, got several by Dinosaur Jr, The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine among others.

• Upvote 1

Guest idol_wild

There is also a club night in the works, potentially starting sometime in April.

45 A-Side Records on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Awesome. Given we're helping out the same bands and such, we can continue to work in corelation for touring bands? I think you're helping out Wintermute the night after I have them playing? Greast Eskimo Hoax too, oui?

Let's form an alliance! :D

Guest idol_wild
That's actually a really good idea. If you guys work in unison it may make it easier to get Aberdeen bands a foot in the door in Glasgow and easier to get bands coming up here if you can guarantee them a night in Aberdeen and Glasgow.

Precisely, my friend. It makes total sense all round.

That's actually a really good idea. If you guys work in unison it may make it easier to get Aberdeen bands a foot in the door in Glasgow and easier to get bands coming up here if you can guarantee them a night in Aberdeen and Glasgow.

We've already been doing it man. I am doing the Wintermute show if i can find a bloody venue, and i sorted their Dundee date. I'm also putting on My Amiga who are playing Slanted and Enchated this month.

As for Aberdeen bands getting shows in Glasgow, i've already put on Debutant and Katerwaul this year. Cast of the Capital are up next (despite their attempt to pull out :p) and hopefully gonna have Indian Red Lopez down at some point soon as well.

PS. Phil i havn't managed to get a My Amiga a Dundee date so far. Damn ska night at the Doghouse.

Edit: Aerials are putting on Great Eskimo Hoax. Have tried contacting the about joining forces and adding Wintermute to the bill but no joy so far. Hopefully getting 13th Note. Should know in a few days.

And what an awesome nerve wracking show that was! One of the best in Katerwaul history I thought. Thanks again Sam. We've made a few contacts through that night so it was very useful indeed. I highly recommend!

It was indeed an excellent set from you guys and pleasure to have you play for us. Passed on your demo to the Your Sound guys tonight.