aberdeen-music

Bloody Huge File! :(

black_matter

...or just use itunes?

Import it into your iTunes library and it'll prompt you to convert it to .mp3 (i think .aac is the default so make sure you've set .mp3 as your default in iTunes first)

bish bash bosh .wav to .mp3 with very little extra effort.

This is usually not recommended, because you cannot specify the bit rate and the frequency of the converted MP3.

As free tibet said, use Audacity and compress to MP3 with 44.1 KHz and 320 kbps for the best quality. It will be around 10-15MB depending on the length of the recording.

my understanding was not to preserve AWESOME quality but to make it easier for sharing with friends via email etc.

a 10-15MB file is not really better than a 30MB file for that purpose.

I'm not saying you should use a .mp3 file converted that way to burn on to a cd you want to sell. For a CD just use your WAVs! But for the purposes of emailing around to your mates and even for uploading to internet sites my way is fine.

my understanding was not to preserve AWESOME quality but to make it easier for sharing with friends via email etc.

a 10-15MB file is not really better than a 30MB file for that purpose.

I'm not saying you should use a .mp3 file converted that way to burn on to a cd you want to sell. For a CD just use your WAVs! But for the purposes of emailing around to your mates and even for uploading to internet sites my way is fine.

10-15MB is fuck all these days - a file like that would send over MSN in about 10 minutes max over a 8Mbit broadband connection. Surely you would want the song to sound as good as possible after compressing it?

yeah totally, whats the point? (also I was considering that a lot of email clients have 10MB limits on attachments)

just shrink it down to a 128 kbps .mp3 to 2-4MB approx depending on length.

unless you're listening to it on very good speakers like your studio monitors there's little point.

As already said, i'm not suggesting this file format to be used on any kind of release. But it's more than good enough to send around to your mates and have on your iPod etc.

Have you tried making an audio mixdown but selecting MP3 instead of WAV. This would also be an option in future. You can specify whatever quality you like.

Audacity is a very useful tool even if you don't use it for the purpose metioned in your thread ... lots of things you can do with it so I recommend you download it regardless of what is best for converting wav to mp3. It's free too. :up:

DONE