aberdeen-music

Super Six Funk Machine Present

FatHand

So this is our third month running and so far we've had some amazing party nights. Here, you have the chance to see some of Aberdeen's finest hip hop and electro music groups as well as your hosts Super Six Funk Machine.

This Month Super Six Funk Machine present:

Taco, QBC and DJ Reknology + guests Tino and Kuda

These guys have become a regular feature of our night and get you up dancing to their amazing blend of French and English hip hop. Taco returned to Aberdeen from Lyon after a 2 year absence to show off his music here. You'd do well to come along and join these guys before the summer when Taco will return home. Along for the ride, home grown talents Tino and Kuda will be joining in for a track or two possibly with other special guest through the set.

The Leonard Jones Potential

The Leonard Jones Potential on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Inverness based funk band Leonard Jones Potential will be joining us this month. I have heard good things about these guys from them having played at the Moorings fairly recently. So if deep funk and soul is your thing they will definitely get you shaking your thing. If you want to sample the goods before you come please check out their tunes on myspace. We're really looking forward to seeing them live and getting down with their music.

Super Six Funk Machine

Super Six Funk Machine on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Super Six Funk Machine have been developing party funk music for the last year or so. We have just set up our own monthly night in the Tunnels supporting local and out of town funk, hip hop and electro artists. This is basically just a chance for people to come party with us and enjoy some quality live music.

Super Six and Electric Aberdeen:

This month we will continue the live music until late with two of our favourite Aberdeen electro artists:

Kunkatron:

Kunkatron on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Kunkatron produces and performs music that I would describe as kind of dreamy ambient dance with a techno edge. Sweet melodies interesting beats. Please check out his myspace to get a better idea of what he can do.

Kimy Reizeger

KimyReizeger on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Kimy has played the last 2 nights for us moving from fist slot to the later end of the night to keep you dancing. Again Kimy produces melodic dance, clever use of melody and rhythm. His sets are developed specially for our nights so please come along and enjoy what he has created for you! This set will be heavier to lead you into a DJ set to take you home.

We look forward to seeing you at our event, please come along to support it so that we can become even more adventurous with our format and bookings.

We are also interested in anybody who feels they have something to offer our night - music, photos, art work, ideas... - so please feel free to get in touch with us.

PM or email me with details or even just your thoughts.

I thought I'd put down a list of dates that our night will appear on over the next few months:

27 Feb 2009 20:00 Tunnels Room 2

27 Mar 2009 20:00 Tunnels Room 2

8 May 2009 20:00 Tunnels Room 2

5 Jun 2009 20:00 Tunnels Room 2

SUPER SIX PARTY NIGHTS

You may notice from the dates that we move the night from the end of the month to the beginning of the month skipping out April. I didn't want to squeeze a show into that short a space of time and get stressed about booking acts and not keeping up the high standard we are setting ourselves.

Rather than neglecting to provide you with anything for such a long time, what we have decided to do in April is put on one or maybe two parties for regular attendees. We will take your email addresses down at the next two shows and give you the details of what is going to happen nearer the time. I will divulge dates but not venues so you can plan it into your social life - as if you needed an incentive to come along to a Super Six night!

The Party nights will involve live music with all the elements of the main events just in a more intimate environment!

Are you interested in doing some? We have a rotating pool of DJs, be happy to add you if you have the skills. That goes for anyone who thinks they're good enough (I'd have to see you in action one way or other though)

We're trying to build the night into a cohesive natural progression, the DJ reflects the point of the night they are on at... hip hop during this part of the night then funk (QBC did this last show) then we go into electro and dance music. To be fair though, this was not the first thing on my mind when designing the night and I'm trying to make it as important as the rest of the evening!

The live electro acts take us into the "Club Night". First Super Six night, rounding off the night we had Massive Throne with Marcus and Reknology... was a kind of breakcore bassiness with scratching (although I'm not so up with all the genres of dance music, I think that's how you'd describe it). This was really good as it had a good amount of live about it. Marcus did the last night on his own as Massive Throne had to pull out. Eventually I hope to have the entire night done live and original... step by step though!!!

Come along to the next show and you will get in on the party nights, I'm going to put a lot of energy into these so should be pretty special (or at least they are in my mind so far).

Are you interested in doing some? We have a rotating pool of DJs, be happy to add you if you have the skills. That goes for anyone who thinks they're good enough (I'd have to see you in action one way or other though)

We're trying to build the night into a cohesive natural progression, the DJ reflects the point of the night they are on at... hip hop during this part of the night then funk (QBC did this last show) then we go into electro and dance music. To be fair though, this was not the first thing on my mind when designing the night and I'm trying to make it as important as the rest of the evening!

The live electro acts take us into the "Club Night". First Super Six night, rounding off the night we had Massive Throne with Marcus and Reknology... was a kind of breakcore bassiness with scratching (although I'm not so up with all the genres of dance music, I think that's how you'd describe it). This was really good as it had a good amount of live about it. Marcus did the last night on his own as Massive Throne had to pull out. Eventually I hope to have the entire night done live and original... step by step though!!!

Come along to the next show and you will get in on the party nights, I'm going to put a lot of energy into these so should be pretty special (or at least they are in my mind so far).

I have only just recently begun on decks so my collection is a bit scare on the vinyl front at the moment, but CD-wise I have plenty of stuff - I would probably be mostly interested in playing rap followed by funk/nu-jazz, so beginning from stuff like KMD, MF, Heiroglyphics/Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Antipop Consortium and the odd Cypress Hill tune for a laugh, then move onto Crusaders, Curtis Mayfield, George Clinton, early Jamiroquai, Headhunters, Commodores etc. and then move into funk/jazz like Kyoto Jazz Massive and Jazzanova, then shift onto the dancier side of things such as Masters At Work, 4hero and then who knows elsewhere!

That is just a rough idea, however I might be interested in giving this a go in a few months once I have a better idea of how to approach things set-wise. :)

Sounds good man, we can have a chat about it on the 27th if you manage to make it along. Would be good to have that kind of transition between the hip hop and funk groups like that. You'll get our style more when you see us... unfortunately our myspace is unrevealing on the music front.

I came along to the first night you guys put on, although I can't remember much about what sort of tunes were being played. Really enjoyed No Soucis and Super Six Funk Machine - very refreshing sounds for Aberdeen!

As for recording, why not try using MiniDisc or something similar through the PA on the 27th? It might not be the best quality available, but it will be a good representation of what you lot are like live. We recorded this way at the Tunnels once and it sounded pretty good (the quality of the recording, not the music :p).

Just finished a practice getting our new tracks together for this month, we'll have you dancing for as long as you can take it!

Everyone has been working really hard on their sets so hoping there is a good crowd of you guys to enjoy the atmosphere.

Doors open at 8 and first group, Taco, QBC and Reknology will be on at 9. Leonard Jones Potential from 10 then Super Six Funk Machine from 11 to 12. Kimmy Reizeger and Kunkatron who have been writing electro sets for the night will followed on after this with Marcus taking us through to the early hours!

See you Friday!

One last bump to pick up any last minute decision makers out there.

Regular attendees will be pleased to hear that the party we are organising for them is now booked up. More details on this will follow but only to those who provide us with their email address upon entry on our nights over the next couple of months! (we have a gig booked in Drummonds mid April so if you come along to this just speak to me after, give me your email address and you will be added to the party list)

See you tonight!

Party? Sounds exciting.

Yes, it's a thank you for supporting the funk party. We're putting it on for all the people who come along and make it as fun and full of energy as it has been so far. Won't cost you anything more than beer/beverage of choice money and we'll do the rest. There will be live music in a kind of funk, hip hop and electro crush as well as DJs. Might do a prize draw thing ... we'll keep some of it a surprise though. The date will be provided in due course but the venue will remain in a sealed envelope to heighten the anticipation.

A big thanks to everyone who came down on Friday, it was a great success. I thought that the Leonard Jones Potential were awesome and I will make plans to have them back some time soon.

I'd like to thank Ross who filled in at the last minute as our drummer could not make this gig, not an easy job with our epic half hour intro. Also our newest member Marcia did extremely well only having joined us the previous week!

We hope to see everyone at this month's show on 27th March. Line-up will be announced in due course. Again, leave your email address with us so we can give you details of the party we are throwing as a thankyou to all those who attend our shows. It is free to get in and there will be live music provided by all of the regular performers and DJs.

If you were at the gig and didn't give us your email address (I promise this is not to spam you every second we get) pm me with it.