aberdeen-music

Snowboarding in the north east

Dayeth

where's better for having a bash if you've never done it before? lecht or glenshee?

The Lecht has some very easy going Nursery slopes Dave. I would seriously advise not "running before you walk" with Snowboarding. Falling at speed really hurts on UK icy/hard-packed snow. Getting lessons is a great idea for technique as well.

where's better for having a bash if you've never done it before? lecht or glenshee?

I'd recommend Glenshee over The Lecht just as it has a lot more variety. My theory on snowboarding is, go up to the top of the hill and by the time you've got to the bottom you should have it just about figured out. However, many people don't like this idea, so lessons at Garthdee are a good start.

I'm just back from the Lecht. 6 hours of driving for 2 hours of snowboarding. Possibly the most stupid thing I've ever done given the state of the roads.

The Lecht is very good for beginners. I find that the most difficult part of learning to snowboard is mastering the tows, and the Lecht has a magic carpet so you can get the hang of the basics before worrying about poma tows etc.

I'm hoping it will too. I think it will, there was a fair amount of snow! Had to go through Dufftown and all the cars had 2-3ft of snow on their roofs and spotted a one storey cottage where all the snow from the roof had slipped down and whoever lived there would have been genuinely snowed in with about 4 ft round the whole place.

At the Lecht the snow was too deep for the two beginners tows to work so only the carpet was operational. The queues were massive. :(

if you learnt to snowboard in canada and haven't been anywhere in scotland then you are in for a big disappointment.

the best time to go is during the week while everyone is at work, the roads and ski tows aren't as busy. on a saturday or sunday you'll spend all your time either in the queues or being dragged up a hill on poma or t bar.

stephen.

My theory on snowboarding is, go up to the top of the hill and by the time you've got to the bottom you should have it just about figured out.

My theory is that a lot of them are in it for the fashion & wouldn't know snow if it hit them in the face. :swearing:

Not long ago & not for the first time either, I had to give long & detailed directions to a group of "hardened boarders" who clearly had no flaming idea about how to get out of the city, never mind getting to the slopes themselves. :hmm:

Glenshee can be brilliant if the conditions are right. Had one of the best days boarding ever there last year and thats including days had at fancy alpine resorts. It wasn't that busy and the snow was perfect. Found a series of natural kickers on a run that noone was using and spent the whole day going back and forth, jumpin off them at stupid speeds. There is pretty much no better feeling in life.

I miss snow!

My theory is that a lot of them are in it for the fashion & wouldn't know snow if it hit them in the face. :swearing:

Not long ago & not for the first time either, I had to give long & detailed directions to a group of "hardened boarders" who clearly had no flaming idea about how to get out of the city, never mind getting to the slopes themselves. :hmm:

That annoys me quite a lot. I am an experienced boarder but don't have the money (nor the desire) to splash out on fancy gear. These posers who talk shit in the queue for the lifts loud enough for everyone to hear then as soon as they get to the top they are utter mince and clog up the run in their 1000s of pounds worth of equipment really bugs me. I try not to be snobby and purist about most things but that really annoys me. Don't talk like you're awesome and don't waste your money on equipment u dont need and will rarely use no matter what your level. Snowboarding is passion of mine but I detest the wankery that goes with it.

Give me a resort full of polite rosey-cheeked germans clad in luminous Nevica all-in-oners circa '89 any day.

I try not to be snobby and purist about most things but that really annoys me.

Snowboarding is passion of mine but I detest the wankery that goes with it.

Give me a resort full of polite rosey-cheeked germans clad in luminous Nevica all-in-oners circa '89 any day.

Yup - these twats give any kind of activity a bad name & they are by no means confined to the slopes! :(

I may actually have an ancient set of all-in-ones somewhere & when I found them again not long ago, they still fitted - tempting! :D

Was lucky enough to go up on Sat and Sun last weekend.

Sat: Conditions went from clear to gale force white out every 20 min. Only opened Bucharts and the Sunny Side pomma. Still had a good day.

Sun: Although very busy. Condtions were brilliant. Everything open, sunny and clear blue skys. Glass Moal was rockin and not so busy so was there pretty much all day.

Check it...

glensheegmoalcn5.jpg

GMoal