aberdeen-music

Some instrumental things

TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH

Return is allright in terms of a quasi-Sun 0)))) mash up, quite uncomfortable to listen to but I think that's what you're going for. Not bad but I wouldn't really listen to it more than once.

Middle is nice. Again quite atmospheric, liking the guitar delay and refrain on the bass, its complimented well by the heartbeat-esque bass drum in the background. I'd imagine it'd be a rather pleasing tune to listen to stoned.

I like White most out of all three. Kind of a NIN/"Adore" era Pumpkins pumping rhythm in the background. Perhaps 5 minutes is a bit too long? I dunno. Again, something I could listen to stoned and get off on it.

Overall not offensive, I wouldn't really choose to listen to them over and over but I'd put it on now and again as ambient back music. Some good ideas, just not enough of them to hold my interest throughout the entire pieces.

I gave up about 2 minutes into "return". I would say "big pile of wank" up until that point at least. I assumed I was hearing random feedback prior to the actual music, but 2 minutes seems a bit lengthy for this to be the case.

edit: "middle" is nice, but it still feels like it should be building into something. Reminds me of loveless, but just not as interesting, or good.

Guest idol_wild

I think Middle is really really good. It reminds me a lot of a song by Eluvium called Everything to Come, which is one of my favourite ambient pieces ever. You've found four beautiful notes with the ebow and stuck with them throughout - and sometimes I find this really affecting. It's brilliant music to read to.

I think White could be really interesting to see being performed live with all the different layers building up to some massive noise.

On the whole, good. I'm going to listen to Middle again.

Cheers for the feedback, any comparison to Loveless is always a good thing.

I definately think that "Middle" is the most realised tune, and that it would almost work as an interlude to something else... It all coming in dribs and drabs though.

Phillip, I've not even considered doing anything like this live; I'd need to recruit about 3 guitarists!

Well, I'm not keen on using a loop pedal to be honest. I'd much prefer to have other people playing the parts rather than looping myself. I can't really explain it without sounding like a complete twat, I'd feel that I'd sort of be cheating or something if I used one of them...

If you're ever looking at a live thing i'd be interested in giving it a whirl.

I could see Return working as an intro to something (like an album track 1), but for that purpose it's probably about 2 minutes too long.

In a similar vein, I could see Middle (despite the title) working as a final track.

White ended up becoming a bit samey for me, but I realise that these are WIP. Good as far as it goes.

Overall, it's not the kind of stuff I'd go looking for, but experimentation is always good. I'd be interested to see how these develop.

I could see Return working as an intro to something (like an album track 1), but for that purpose it's probably about 2 minutes too long.

In a similar vein, I could see Middle (despite the title) working as a final track.

White ended up becoming a bit samey for me, but I realise that these are WIP. Good as far as it goes.

Overall, it's not the kind of stuff I'd go looking for, but experimentation is always good. I'd be interested to see how these develop.

Cheers for that, the feedback so far has been a lot more positive than I expected.

• 3 months later...
Guest idol_wild

I fucking love this, Jan. You've captured a really nice mood and atmosphere with it. I really like the bassline especially.

Do you have the minerals to perform this stuff live yet?

Guest idol_wild
Cheers Philip. :) I need guitarists, lots of them. And more material.

Get recruiting. I think there are a few people who'd be interested in this sort of stuff. I'd be very interested to see this done live.

Oh, and really enjoyed "A Friend Called Cody", the contrast between the lively foreground instrumentation and the swirly ambient sounds in the background made for enjoyable listening, even if (by your own admission) the drums are too low. I'd love to hear a "fixed" version of this some time.

• 5 months later...