aberdeen-music

Aberdeen "The Venue" & "Ritzy's"

Sam65

Hello all,

I am doing a bit of research on some Aberdeen venues of the past, and I wondered if any of you could help with some info on "The Venue" Aberdeen and "Ritzy's" Aberdeen.

Both these places had many gigs throughout the eighties.

I hoped some forum members could tell me where these venues were situated in Aberdeen, and have they tranformed into venues that are still open now? And if so what are the current names of the venues.

Any help would be much appreciated. :up:

Best wishes

Sam65

Hello all,

I am doing a bit of research on some Aberdeen venues of the past, and I wondered if any of you could help with some info on "The Venue" Aberdeen and "Ritzy's" Aberdeen.

Both these places had many gigs throughout the eighties.

I hoped some forum members could tell me where these venues were situated in Aberdeen, and have they tranformed into venues that are still open now? And if so what are the current names of the venues.

Any help would be much appreciated. :up:

Best wishes

Sam65

Surely the boy Cynic will furnish you with all the details you need....!

'The Venue' was the dancehall at the back of the Douglas Hotel, in Market Street. The place is still there, but doesn't get used for gigs (it was used for record fairs for a while a couple of years ago).

'Ritzy's' was one of the names for what was the Palace ballroom in Bridge Place, just off of Bridge St..it was also called Fusion for a while, then Bonkers. Originally it was a cinema...here's some info...

Cinema Treasures | Palace Theatre

You'll also find this thread very useful...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/music-discussion/44681-venue-douglas-hotel.html

• Upvote 1

Aaaah, the Venue. Run in the day by Mr Duncan Hendry of APA. Spent three nights a week in there and saw some great and not so great bands. It was odd in the fact that the bands, most touring, were only part of the evening as it was basically an alternative music dancing club that would have bands on around 11.30-12. Most of the time we would head for the bar area whilst the bands were on. They were all of an alternative persuasion though. Imagine The Tunnels/Moshulu where the focus is on the DJ and he gets a break for a band or two.

Met my wife there when I was a psychobilly and she was a goth (and I was a couple of stone lighter)

Was generally open Thursday through to Saturday but would open other nights for gigs.

I should ask Duncan if he still has a list of all the bands that played there or a scrapbook.

• Upvote 1

I just went in for the bands.....(was once asked to do the monitor mixing, but chickened out when I heard Tubbis getting abuse from bands). The club folk scared me, and I was too old & out of my comfort zone, even then. Mind you, later, a lovely place called Dr Drakes opened, and the regulars there were lovely.

Mr Stax...is your son a gothobilly?

I just went in for the bands.....(was once asked to do the monitor mixing, but chickened out when I heard Tubbis getting abuse from bands).

Bands abuse Tubbus because it's Tubbus. It's in the contract.

Good job you chickened out, monitor mixing is not for the inexperienced, or anyone with skin thinner than a Rhino wearing 10 leather jackets.

Bands abuse Tubbus because it's Tubbus. It's in the contract.

True. We once took him along with us on a tour of the west coast purely for the abuse factor. It was great, really stopped the drummer abuse for two glorious weeks...

Funnily enough, saw him last year when we supported Miles Hunt in Insch. Hasn't. changed. a. bit...

Who was the guy that always used to do sound at the Venue? Long haired stoner guy. One of my first ever gigs there (Colin Cant and the Zimbabwe Five) we made the mistake of paying him to do our sound before we played. He went straight out and 'self-medicated' himself to the point that he was virtually passed out for the whole gig and never touched the desk once...

True. We once took him along with us on a tour of the west coast purely for the abuse factor. It was great, really stopped the drummer abuse for two glorious weeks...

So he is useful for something.

Funnily enough, saw him last year when we supported Miles Hunt in Insch. Hasn't. changed. a. bit...

Who was the guy that always used to do sound at the Venue? Long haired stoner guy. One of my first ever gigs there (Colin Cant and the Zimbabwe Five) we made the mistake of paying him to do our sound before we played. He went straight out and 'self-medicated' himself to the point that he was virtually passed out for the whole gig and never touched the desk once...

I can't remember who used to do sound there, another one for the Cynic I think.

I was at that gig. I can't believe I've actually paid money to see you play.

So he is useful for something.

I can't remember who used to do sound there, another one for the Cynic I think.

I was at that gig. I can't believe I've actually paid money to see you play.

It was Rae Campbell for a while....dunno if that's who you mean, although the description sounds in the correct ballpark. It was when he packed it in Tubbus was going to take over the sound desk, and I was offered the chance of being 'trained-up' for the stage sound, but, having observed closely for a couple of gigs I didn't fancy the grief (especially if it was bands I liked....I'd've been in floods of tears).

Now I've seen soundian in action I realise that there's nothing to it :laughing:

*bomb shelter order already in the post*

It was Rae Campbell for a while....dunno if that's who you mean, although the description sounds in the correct ballpark. It was when he packed it in Tubbus was going to take over the sound desk, and I was offered the chance of being 'trained-up' for the stage sound, but, having observed closely for a couple of gigs I didn't fancy the grief (especially if it was bands I liked....I'd've been in floods of tears).

Now I've seen soundian in action I realise that there's nothing to it :laughing:

*bomb shelter order already in the post*

I just make it look easy.

*orders 1x bunker buster bomb from Bombs'R'Us*

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just discovered this site, I worked with Duncan during this period when I got sacked from 'Ritzy's' for bringing the club into disrepute, i.e. my nights Monday (indie) & Thursday (metal) were doing better than the Friday & Saturday punter nights...I have loads of artwork & leaflets tucked away that I'll try to download for the archive...all hard copies as well before computers & all created on the photocopier... during my time we had The Pixies, The Wedding Present, The Wonderstuff, Faith No More, New Model Army, Desmond Decker, The Sweet...., Texas, & my favorite of all time SWAMPTRASH...If anyone has thier one & only album I'd love to get an MP3 version...my copy got lost in a move many years ago.... loved Aberdeen but closure of the Venue forced a move down south.... I believe my Monday night at Ritzys (Bonkers???) is still going after all this time! I'd be surprised if Benny was still DJ'ing but you never know....

Just discovered this site, I worked with Duncan during this period when I got sacked from 'Ritzy's' for bringing the club into disrepute, i.e. my nights Monday (indie) & Thursday (metal) were doing better than the Friday & Saturday punter nights...I have loads of artwork & leaflets tucked away that I'll try to download for the archive...all hard copies as well before computers & all created on the photocopier... during my time we had The Pixies, The Wedding Present, The Wonderstuff, Faith No More, New Model Army, Desmond Decker, The Sweet...., Texas, & my favorite of all time SWAMPTRASH...If anyone has thier one & only album I'd love to get an MP3 version...my copy got lost in a move many years ago.... loved Aberdeen but closure of the Venue forced a move down south.... I believe my Monday night at Ritzys (Bonkers???) is still going after all this time! I'd be surprised if Benny was still DJ'ing but you never know....

Aye,the Mondays and Thursdays were great. Remember a few of those gigs as well, especially the Sweet, as my then band were the support. I hope to God you don't remember though, as we were truly awful. Was a bit of a car crash gig really, poor Brian was not exactly a picture of health. I remember watching from the backstage area as he tried and failed to pick up a glass of water. Sad.

Also sad is the news I just discovered while looking for Swamptrash mp3s for you, it seems Harry Horse the singer committed suicide a couple of years ago along with his terminally ill wife.

Tributes To Dead Author And Wife (from Evening Times)

However to remember Swamptrash, there are a load of mp3s and video footage here -

acidcrofthistory