aberdeen-music

R&B's stock??

Al Coholic

Lets face it. The internet is a double edged sword. You can buy new stuff cheaper if you want to buy without trying it out first. However, I've noticed that 2nd prices have in general been getting higher. I suppose the reason for this is sites like Ebay which show your average person what they can get for their 60's, 70's telecaster they were giving by their uncle etc.

Of all the music stuff I have collected over the years, only one guitar was bought on the web. It was a new 2002 Les Paul. Why did I buy this new?..Well simply because R&B and Brucies was asking quite a bit more for the same guitar, but only willing to give me 1.99 (well they offered a little bit more than that) for my PRS custom 24fret c/w 10 top and birds. I would be more than willing to give the local shop my trade (and still do) but let's face it, they take the piss when it comes to trade in's etc. I don't need to know that they can get the same guitar new from the suppliers for only 50p more etc. Well you know something shop owners, we the buying public, can get cheaper guitars elsewhere, hence why so many people do it.:popcorn:

Lets face it. The internet is a double edged sword. You can buy new stuff cheaper if you want to buy without trying it out first. However, I've noticed that 2nd prices have in general been getting higher. I suppose the reason for this is sites like Ebay which show your average person what they can get for their 60's, 70's telecaster they were giving by their uncle etc.

Of all the music stuff I have collected over the years, only one guitar was bought on the web. It was a new 2002 Les Paul. Why did I buy this new?..Well simply because R&B and Brucies was asking quite a bit more for the same guitar, but only willing to give me 1.99 (well they offered a little bit more than that) for my PRS custom 24fret c/w 10 top and birds. I would be more than willing to give the local shop my trade (and still do) but let's face it, they take the piss when it comes to trade in's etc. I don't need to know that they can get the same guitar new from the suppliers for only 50p more etc. Well you know something shop owners, we the buying public, can get cheaper guitars elsewhere, hence why so many people do it.:popcorn:

when i asked about trading a gibson SG i once had in for a telecaster, they said "yeah sure....it'd have to be a squier, though!"

cheeky buggers!

eh i bought my "expensive" guitar off r&b... i did so or various reasons, not least that they were able to source difficult(ish) guitars to find, they know the industry/ importers/ distributers very well and the deal i got was pretty damn good...

gibson have dumped their distributors (rosetti), and as a result of their policy "realignment" there are only two stores i know of that sell gibbos in scotland. i have a feeling they, gibson, are going to regret this nonsense...

Cool, thats why I said "most people..." and not 'all people'.

Well you know something shop owners, we the buying public, can get cheaper guitars elsewhere, hence why so many people do it.

Thats great, but then people turn round and complain when the stock is shit...what do you expect? :laughing:

There are six million human beings in Scotland; not all of them are guitarists, less still guitarists serious enough to spend serious dough on an instrument. The ones that are serious don't mind travelling a wee bit to get a good instrument/ choice, in my experience. Particularly those from Aberdeen/ further north.

i am a gibson customer, four times over. i do not approve of this nonsense. it is very unlikely that i will buy another gibson anytime soon, or at all. QED, the new sales philosophy has lost at least one customer. i bet i am not the last. i bet more are lost than gained in the short, medium or long term.

I know that, believe me. However, half this thread is about buying on the 'net; where there is extreme "buy without try"..

the fellow who started this thread was making a comment that the local music store has a poorer stock collection than he would like. i wonder if he was recently interested in buying a gibson? i wonder how recent his last guitar purchase was? i wonder if it was a gibson?

The name is already prestigious enough that people seek it out. The idea of having a couple of Scottish Gibson super centres rather than a bunch of part- timers organised by a shambles of a farce like Rosetti makes a huge amount of sense..

i'd prefer a local store with at least a smattering of gibsons. the stores that no longer stock gibson, i can tell you from experience include stores in scotland that had excusive deals on some models in the uk.

you may have had some bad experience with rosetti, please feel free to elaborate if you wish. i have had no such problems, i know people that have ordered stuff from them and been perfectly happy, but due to my own perceptions/ experience i am pretty neutral on the whole subject (of rosetti)

That's possible, although the concerns about the credit crunch will be offset by "Gibbo" lovers' excitement at getting to try a bunch of interesting, unusual (?) and brand new guitars all in the one place, for the first time in.... years? And instruments are one of those curious things where people will always somehow find/ make/ steal/ borrow the means to get the one they want. .

gibsons sales world wide will go down as a result of the crunch. the annual reports of 07, 08 and 09 will provide testament to that. gibson sales in the uk will go down disproportionately, largely due to their recent distribution philosophy. the "gibbo lovers excitement " will be little consolation i would guess.

are you in some way affiliated with any of these "superstores" or gibson?

Nah, neither! I used to work in Sound Control though, so do have some idea about the workings of the machine. Not least because we never had any/ enough Gibsons, and did deal with a lot of customers from Aberdeen and beyond who were willing to travel to find the gear/ advice/ range they wanted.

sound control dundee is still on the go isn't it? management buyout or something?

We can't get Gibsons anymore due to distribution fail on their part.

Duesenberg, there's still a couple left. Stock needs replenished on those once the others go (minimum order requirement).

Tokai - we have a BRILLIANT L320 just now. Custom shop built and at a bargain of a price IMO as it's in good condition. Best Les Paul I've played that doesn't say "Les Paul" on it. If I had cash I'd have it in a second :)

Given the people that come in, it seems to be midrange we do best with. If we actually had high end stuff, we could maybe sell them though :p:laughing:

Okay folks, one thing i must say is just that IF R&B had loads of gibsons and expensive guitars in, it'd mostly be eye candy, cos not as many peolpe go into a guitar shop to actually buy guitars any more. just to browse, and when you do find one, chances are you'll end up buying it off some dodgy website, so r&b are doing shit all wrong.

Okay folks, one thing i must say is just that IF R&B had loads of gibsons and expensive guitars in, it'd mostly be eye candy, cos not as many peolpe go into a guitar shop to actually buy guitars any more. just to browse, and when you do find one, chances are you'll end up buying it off some dodgy website, so r&b are doing shit all wrong.

In my opinion you should play guitars/amps before you buy them. Buying off a website is a massive gamble.

In my opinion you should play guitars/amps before you buy them. Buying off a website is a massive gamble.

As much as I agree with you, Web prices are often a little bit easier on the wallet. They are usually kept completely packaged in their original factory packaging the whole time as well, where as guitars hanging in music shops gather dust and could pick up a bit of a ding or a knock from people having a go.

I think buying any guitar/amp is a bit of a gamble unless you get the oppertunity to take the guitar away and use it for your band practice at a standard gigging volume. It seems quite rare you would get this oppertunity in a shop.

Dawsons in Manchester has a soundproofed room for cranking up amps which was pretty good. Not that anyone bought anything from there. Horrible shop with a dreadful price markup.

Your post answers the point. The reason why it would just be "eye candy", is because the prices are not competitive. If you think that R&B are doing "shit all wrong" by offering next to nothing for a quailty guitar as a trade in, against another equally quailty guitar, then I feel you shoud stop using 'berni907' as a user name, and start using your real name. So come on Ross come clean, only you could come up with a comment like that. Jeezo we will have Mr GAP on this forum soon saying they are doing shit all wrong by keeping some poor 3rd world kid in a darked room making clothes, whilst paying them what would be equivilent to R&B trade in prices as a wage. Sorry, maybe GAP would pay better.

But they do sell mid-range and expensive gear. The reason most these Gibsons, Tokais and Duesenberg have gone now is that they were sold (i know because i bought one myself 3 or 4 weeks ago).

If you don't have the stock you are 100% certain you wont sell anything.

Besides, what is there against eye-candy? Great way to have people visit your shop regularly.. works for me at least..