aberdeen-music

Sony Vaio Keyboard issues

DJ Jo-D

My laptop keyboard is gubbed...basically when you press a button it splurges out random groups of characters, spaces and does things like, closes windows etc it doesn't do the same every stroke of the same key.

I have tried chdsk & drivers, so presuming it's a hardware error (keyboard not motherboard hopedully)

I am finding it difficult to see a part for repacement, anyone know sony's or of somewhere good for parts?

It's a VGN-N11s

My laptop keyboard is gubbed...basically when you press a button it splurges out random groups of characters, spaces and does things like, closes windows etc it doesn't do the same every stroke of the same key.

I have tried chdsk & drivers, so presuming it's a hardware error (keyboard not motherboard hopedully)

I am finding it difficult to see a part for repacement, anyone know sony's or of somewhere good for parts?

It's a VGN-N11s

I had this with an old laptop. I found out it was actually a setting or key in Windows that I had fucked up. Sorry, but can't for the life of me remember what it was exactly.

It's a VGN-N11s

Is numlock on?

similar model to mine actually.

but sounds more like a software/system opperations problem like teabags said. im far from an expert, but i woundn't imagine a problem with hardware doing something like that.

but the sony store has been really helpful for me, so i'd just take it up their if i were you.

hmmm done loads of checks software wise and had no other issues with it at all....? any other software checks you can recommend?

cheers!!

It sounds to me like something has been spilt on your keyboard. This would definately explain the key-mashing you have experienced.

Either remove it, find the part number and ebay one or try cleaning it out with distilled water. (have a google for some guides, but it is just a case of submerging it for a while)

Make sure it is left to dry in a warm room for several days before trying to fit it back into the laptop.

This has worked for me to remove dried orange juice from my own eee keyboard and wine from a friends NEC keyboard.

I also advise you not to buy a new keyboard through the sony centre as it will cost something rediculous and i wouldnt be surprised if they insist on fitting it! Either buy a replica or used one.

Hope you get typing again soon!

It sounds to me like something has been spilt on your keyboard. This would definately explain the key-mashing you have experienced.

Either remove it, find the part number and ebay one or try cleaning it out with distilled water. (have a google for some guides, but it is just a case of submerging it for a while)

Make sure it is left to dry in a warm room for several days before trying to fit it back into the laptop.

This has worked for me to remove dried orange juice from my own eee keyboard and wine from a friends NEC keyboard.

I also advise you not to buy a new keyboard through the sony centre as it will cost something rediculous and i wouldnt be surprised if they insist on fitting it! Either buy a replica or used one.

Hope you get typing again soon!

Cheers, def not split on it, seemed to be working one day and broke the next and was not anywhere near liquid

I will try buying a new one, if I can find the right one - so many types out there!!

Cheers, def not split on it, seemed to be working one day and broke the next and was not anywhere near liquid

I will try buying a new one, if I can find the right one - so many types out there!!

The keyboard should have a specific part number on it somewhere (prob a sticker under it when removed)

just give it a google and it should pop-up in an online/ebay shop.

If you can't find a sticker with a number on it either check in the manual that came with your lappy or give sony a call with the laptops model number asking what the keyboards part no. is.

Good luck!

Hi there... are you using Windows XP (pro or not pro) or Vista? (if so, what version).

Lemme see if i can help you..

but it sounds like you want to go into Langauge and regional settings in the Control Panel buddy... there is some keyboard options in there which you can upgrade which could give the keyboard it's firmware "jumpstart" that you need.

I'll talk you through it if you gimme something to go on..

-M-

(p.s IT Manager by trade)

I'm using XP, give anything a go :)

this is what happens when I press D - @

and this is what happens when I press again - \ wdfh1

'\

'\ w

dfh13

'\

wdfh13

@

@

\ wdfh13

that was me pressing D each row

dfh13 - that was me pressing J

-qetg5 - E

6 -E

] (that time pressing E brought down 2 menus on Firefox?

sorry long-winded but see what I mean?

I'm using XP, give anything a go :)

this is what happens when I press D - @

and this is what happens when I press again - \ wdfh1

'\

'\ w

dfh13

'\

wdfh13

@

@

\ wdfh13

that was me pressing D each row

dfh13 - that was me pressing J

-qetg5 - E

6 -E

] (that time pressing E brought down 2 menus on Firefox?

Unfortunately none of these replies to pressing D are incorrect UNICODE or ASCII responses, therefore this might not be a firmware issue. It does infact sound like a manufacturers defect in the keyboard/motherboard itself... the obvious clue towards that theory is the fact that all of the apparently random responses you are getting whilst pressing the letter D are all right next to, or surrounding the area of where D is located.

Was one of the menu's brought down the Help menu by anychance? because pressing ALT + H would bring down that menu.. and H is next to J on the keyboard....

What is the make and model of your laptop?

I'll be able to direct you to a location to see if it's still under warrenty... you can normally just phone them up (hp or dell) and they'll send either replacement parts or get a new laptop to you in a matter of a couple of days... 9 times out of 10 they don't need your old parts sent back either.

Thing is though.. you WILL need to sit on the phone for about 40 minutes though... maybe not on hold but saying yes/no questions to an Indian... sorry bud but that is just the way it is..It's "procedure" apparently.