aberdeen-music

6 Nations 2009

Chris

This years six nations kicks off on Saturday.

Saturday, 07 February 2009

England v Italy, 15:00

Ireland v France, 17:00

Sunday, 08 February 2009

Scotland v Wales, 15:00

My (probably useless) predictions:

Think Scotland will do better than last year, couldn't do much worse, with England probably going to have their worst year for a long time as Martin Johnson limps through his one and only 6 nations in charge of the England team. Ireland or France to win the title.

Good to see Dan Parks isn't starting for Scotland, just hope we don't miss Euan Murray too much.

Hopefully it'll be a good tight tournament this year, I'm especially looking forward to France vs Scotland in Paris. Going across for a friend's stag do :D

If Paterson's on the pitch then our whole game is about kicking, we become a one man team. That's obviously not a good long term strategy and we haven't exactly been world beaters while playing that game.

Leaving him out gives the rest of the team the freedom to attempt to score tries. It also puts a whole heap of pressure on Godman, but one of these days someone is going to have to step up and show they can kick at test level. Hopefully it'll be tomorrow.

That was a terrible game. A terrible terrible game.

Botched rugby with no passion from both sides.

Hopefully the Ireland game will be better. Thoughts on possible outcome?

It could possibly decide who gets the trophy, in my opinion

first game today was pretty poor but second was excellent. can't wait till tomorrow. i popped in to the kiltmakers today to pick up a drinking sporran to go with my drinking kilt in preparation and i happened across their ex-hire sale rack, as you do. incredibly, i picked up a kilt in the SRU tartan in my perfect size for 80!! what a result! all ready to get in a pickle and enjoy some good rugby and a bit of singing. cannae whack it!

If Paterson's on the pitch then our whole game is about kicking, we become a one man team. That's obviously not a good long term strategy and we haven't exactly been world beaters while playing that game.

Leaving him out gives the rest of the team the freedom to attempt to score tries. It also puts a whole heap of pressure on Godman, but one of these days someone is going to have to step up and show they can kick at test level. Hopefully it'll be tomorrow.

i think whether chris paterson is on or off the pitch our game, in the past, has really all been focused on kicking. i had high hopes for these 6 nations in terms of scotlands chances. however frank has totally copped out of picking a real forward thinking team and once again gone for a team that may stop him being him embarrassed, but will not be the team in this same tournament next year, and the world cup etc, at least in terms of the backs. the team that went out against the likes of SA in the autumn tests were looking really sharp, and they havn't played since then, or done anything really bad, yet he decides to do a total reshuffle. i really don't understand that thinking.

i think phil godman is probably our best 10 going forward... he offers much more in terms of the way he takes the ball right to the line and gives those sweet passes just out in front allowing players to come onto the ball rather than constantly be cheking their stride etc. unfortunately he is just too short to be an international 10, and there is nothing that can be done about it.

if the u-20s game on friday was anything to go by we should be in for a good game.

Weakest rendition of 'Flower of Scotland' i've ever heard, but I loved where the 2nd verse had no instruments... instead letting the crowd dictate the pace. Excellent idea.

Kudos to the Scotland player who was clearly welling up during the anthem. I believe it is his debut, hope he has a stormer!

but I loved where the 2nd verse had no instruments... instead letting the crowd dictate the pace. Excellent idea.

They've been doing that at Murrayfield for a couple of seasons now. Would never work at the football, the crowd can't stay in time with the music let alone without it.

Decent game so far, couple of silly mistakes already but it wouldn't be a Scotland game without them I guess.

Geoff Cross just fucked up his debut with a terrible tackle. He's going to get sin binned once he wakes up.

Simon Webster is puking his guts, so been forced to go off by the ref after he got knocked out in a tackle earier. Good decision by the ref I think. If he's being sick he must be concussed and shouldn't be on the pitch.

They've been doing that at Murrayfield for a couple of seasons now. Would never work at the football, the crowd can't stay in time with the music let alone without it.

Away games I'd agree with that, but the crowd is definitely in time at home games. The foreign bands always play FOS really slowly, which makes it more noticeable I guess.

I guess it's much easier to hear the band at the Rugby, when the crowd are singing so quietly :up:

Boy making debut gets booked and by the looks of things will have fractured his cheekbone! Namesake on.

but the crowd is definitely in time at home games.

Rarely! Maybe you don't notice 'cause you go to the games, but watching on TV the sound of a Scotland crowd singing along to flower of scotland is a frustrating embarrasment more often than not.

Really wish it wasn't the case, but the rugby crowd always seem to do a better job of singing it.

EDIT: But seriously, the rugby team always gets built up and it's the same result every year. :down:

Its the same with any Scottish team in any sport. Remember we are playing the the raining champions and the only team to take a scalp from a southern hemisphere team.

Also dont think anybody was seriously hyping them up to be champs.