aberdeen-music

22 Frets!

Guest idol_wild

I've got a squire sitting in my house up the road. Thinking i should maybe do it up as a wee project. Some new pick ups, maybe a new neck.

Anyone done anything like this before? Any suggestions?

Replacing/upgrading parts is fun and good to learn more about guitars in general. A word of warning though - don't even think of doing it for financial gain, you won't make megabucks just because you put a 100 set of pickups, a 50 bridge and a 50 set of tuners in it - I am only talking as your average eBay punter, but a Squier's a Squier, doesn't matter what superduper parts you've put in it.

If the guitar's a keeper (ie. you like the neck) then go for it. Keep the original parts if you have any thoughts of selling this guitar on later and put them back on/in the guitar before you do. Keep the good components for another guitar or flog them seperately and you'll get a good chunk of your money back.

Other than that, don't hold the soldering iron by the hot end, have fun and good luck!

• Upvote 1

Replacing/upgrading parts is fun and good to learn more about guitars in general. A word of warning though - don't even think of doing it for financial gain, you won't make megabucks just because you put a 100 set of pickups, a 50 bridge and a 50 set of tuners in it - I am only talking as your average eBay punter, but a Squier's a Squier, doesn't matter what superduper parts you've put in it.

If the guitar's a keeper (ie. you like the neck) then go for it. Keep the original parts if you have any thoughts of selling this guitar on later and put them back on/in the guitar before you do. Keep the good components for another guitar or flog them seperately and you'll get a good chunk of your money back.

Other than that, don't hold the soldering iron by the hot end, have fun and good luck!

The plan is not to sell it man. I don't like selling instruments, always think that will come back to haunt me in the future. I've always fancied having an American Tele but thought why not just creating an awesome sounding/playing one out of the Squire i already have.

http://www.nscustom.co.uk

Don't be put off by the pointy guitars on the home page. This guy is making me a custom 72 thinline tele for only 500.

AWESOME! i love those too... went for the deluxe model though.... swish. i absolutely love the wide range humbuckers in the 72 reissues. :D

if i had known about that i probably would of had it custom made though.

Guest idol_wild
Check you out, flashy cunt!

:up:

Ha, what I play is FAAAAARRR from flashy, I can assure you ;)

PS - Glad you enjoyed hearing Fuck Buttons and Neurosis at Drummonds at Christmas ;)