aberdeen-music

22 Frets!

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I am eyeing up some Fender Telecasters, but pretty much all of them seem to have 21 frets, yet I need 22 for some of the stuff I like playing. Do 22 fretted Telecasters even exist? I've yet to find one.

Think I'll have to settle for a Strat...

Guest idol_wild
The Squire Standard Teles are 22 fret as well.

Yeah, I think the Katerwaul guys use these. I was considering them, but I'll see how successful I am on ebay over the next week! :up:

Guest idol_wild
A Fender Mustang perhaps Phillip?

The price put me off. Also, I spoke to someone recently who uses one and they said they are a bit of a nightmare.

Lovely looking guitars and nice natural tone, though.

A bit pricey at the moment, but I'd think you would really like the strange vibrato it has, which sounds great if you know how to work it. I would say the only drawback to them is that the pickups to some are a bit weedy (I think that they help give the guitar its personality) and that people with big hands will find the neck a bit cramped.

http://www.nscustom.co.uk

Don't be put off by the pointy guitars on the home page. This guy is making me a custom 72 thinline tele for only 500.

At the moment I'm using a Squire Custom II. Its great, best guitar I've ever had... until the fret wear has started to make the top end sound like a freakin' sitar after only two and a half years!

Sam's is the P90 version but is still goin strong.

Guest idol_wild
Maybe look at buying a cheaper model and a replacement neck?

This thought did cross my mind, but jesus fuck, there must be a suitably priced guitar out there for me without the hassle of buying it in bits! :)

http://www.nscustom.co.uk

Don't be put off by the pointy guitars on the home page. This guy is making me a custom 72 thinline tele for only 500.

At the moment I'm using a Squire Custom II. Its great, best guitar I've ever had... until the fret wear has started to make the top end sound like a freakin' sitar after only two and a half years!

Sam's is the P90 version but is still goin strong.

I have the P90 version too. For a Squier, I was blown away by the quality of it. It plays brilliantly. I'll maybe swap about the Dunc Designed P90's at some point, but not urgently, as they aren't bad at all.

Guest idol_wild
I have the P90 version too. For a Squier, I was blown away by the quality of it. It plays brilliantly. I'll maybe swap about the Dunc Designed P90's at some point, but not urgently, as they aren't bad at all.

Yeah, I remember chatting to Tim about guitars and he recommended those Squiers, but to be honest, my Pacifica plays really nicely and if I am to upgrade I'd want to do it properly if that makes sense.

Pacificas are great.

I'd like a proper Tele someday too, but I'll never get round to saving up for it, and if I was serious about saving up, I'd go the full distance and get a Rickenbacker 330. I've wanted one since I was a young 'un and I was mad about The Jam!

I wanted Wellers haircut too, but my Mum said it'd look shit. Or maybe it's because it was just easier for her to give me a grade 3 all over.

This the link you meant to post?

NS Custom - Home

yeah that's the one. Got the first pics of the body through yesterday, its got a dry mahogany finish on it with a black pickguard waiting to be stuck on and that all important 22nd fret, which was the reason I got this guy to do it. Fender 72 custom deluxes don't have 22 frets either which was my first choice.

You'll also find that a neck can sometimes cost as much as the guitar. To replace the neck on my squire was gonna cost me 140 for unbranded and a cool 160 for a squier. And apparently according to the boys at R&B i'd have to send pics of the serial number to fender then wait a couple of months while they check the neck is going on a genuine fender model.

AND ALL BECAUSE OF 1 FRET!!!

Sheesh life was simpler back in my metal days of using 24fret BC Riches!

Those guitars he builds are pretty nice. I've been looking at Deluxe Teles for ages now, but you can get a 72 reissue for 500 so is there much of a difference with getting one from that guy? Will the build quality be that improved?

Probably get an amp upgrade first then look at a new guitar next year I think.

Those guitars he builds are pretty nice. I've been looking at Deluxe Teles for ages now, but you can get a 72 reissue for 500 so is there much of a difference with getting one from that guy? Will the build quality be that improved?

Probably get an amp upgrade first then look at a new guitar next year I think.

I was gonna buy a 72 reissue but it didn't have the 22nd fret. That 10cm piece of wood is a vital note in a few Katerwaul songs. If I'd bought one it would have been rendered useless. If you go with a tailor made one he can make it Fender quality but to your specifications. Fender are quite limited on colours when it comes to these guitars too. So I guess its just a question of what suits you. If you were just to get him to make a 72 reissue for you the way fender sell it then there would be no point.

Just over a week till mine is finished, I'll let you know how she is/how close to fender it actually is.