aberdeen-music

50 Years Ago Today...

Bigsby

Strangely I've listening to almost solely Buddy Holly in the last fortnight with no idea of this anniversary. A true great. He innovated more in his short, short years in the business than anyone has done since. I think popular music would've taken a completely different route had he not died when he did.

Favourite Buddy Holly songs? Mines are Think It Over and Words of Love.

:(

Strangely I've listening to almost solely Buddy Holly in the last fortnight with no idea of this anniversary. A true great. He innovated more in his short, short years in the business than anyone has done since. I think popular music would've taken a completely different route had he not died when he did.

Favourite Buddy Holly songs? Mines are Think It Over and Words of Love.

:(

Mines would probs be Rave On

Mines would probs be Rave On

The likes of Rave On and Oh Boy are fantastic rockers.

My fave would probably be It Doesn't Matter Anymore, I love the string arrangement.

The musical Buddy is always a good night on and although I haven't seen it for about 20 years the film The Buddy Holly Story is also damn good with a pre-bonkers Gary Busey doing a great job in the title role.

Always worth remembering that the late, great Waylon Jennings was due to be on the plane that night but gave up his space. Gulp.

The likes of Rave On and Oh Boy are fantastic rockers.

My fave would probably be It Doesn't Matter Anymore, I love the string arrangement.

The musical Buddy is always a good night on and although I haven't seen it for about 20 years the film The Buddy Holly Story is also damn good with a pre-bonkers Gary Busey doing a great job in the title role.

Always worth remembering that the late, great Waylon Jennings was due to be on the plane that night but gave up his space. Gulp.

Have it on DVD and its brilliant. Remember seeing Buddy the musical when I was a real young un but it was still pretty powerful stuff.

I really like Buddy Holly, but I could hardly call what he did revolutionary for the time compared to loads of other artists.

I don't understand why he was percieved as so different to what many other rock'n'roll/skiff acts were doing?

I'm not challenging anyone, I'm asking for different perspectives so I can perhaps understand better,

I really like Buddy Holly, but I could hardly call what he did revolutionary for the time compared to loads of other artists.

I don't understand why he was percieved as so different to what many other rock'n'roll/skiff acts were doing?

I'm not challenging anyone, I'm asking for different perspectives so I can perhaps understand better,

I guess he was the first person to take the 'rock' format of the time (which more or less consisted of 12 bar blues songs set to a similar, rocky beat) and expand the instrumentation, harmonies and melodies to what was your classic rock sound at the time. I'm pretty drunk right now so probably not explaining it the best but it seems he progressed beyond 50s rock in a matter of months and moved onto modern day pop song structures that still exist today, despite him being limited to only 18 months or so in recorded music.

Regardles of whether you subscribe to the true innovator stuff, his music still stands up today. The production is remarkable good for late 50s...a lot of which is due to the utterly fantastic arrangements of the Crickets, which in turn owe a lot to the fact Buddy was an utterly fantastic guitarist - far better than he is ever giving credit for (simply because he was more recognised as a songwriter/vocalist)

...something like that X)X)

What he said.

I'd forgotten until I watched the (excellent) Arena documentary last night that he was only 22 when he died. Putting that in to context, it means he was six years younger than Clint Eastwood who is arguably producing his best ever work, albeit in a very different field.

I also hadn't appreciated that That'll Be The Day used a capo, not something you saw a lot of people using back then.