aberdeen-music

Musical aims for 2009?

black_matter

Inspired by the 'gear aims for 09' thread, I thought i'd see if this would work.

Dunno if it's already up here, but what are your musical goals for 2009?

I'll set the ball rolling by saying i'd like to perform in an original band using more electronic equipment such as drum machines and explore the genres of post rock, electronica and such like and maybe play a quite well promoted support slot or two and get a wee following going.

What would you like out of 09?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improve, improve, improve. Improve everything - technique, improvisation, knowledge. I've already taken steps to help achieve this - practicing more, playing with others. I might try and do some RGT exams too.

Same resolution as last year - finish my instrument building projects (4 on the go just now - that's just too much parallel tasking for my liking)

Do more setup/upgrade/repair jobs for people.

Calm down on the old gear acquisition. Be ruthless and sell instruments I don't play or don't lend any variety to the proceedings.

I'm gonna learn to play the keyboard that I bought. Been using it for 'inputting' to cubase rather than actually playing properly. I can read music, as in I know what all the notes and lengths are, but will need tons of practice before I can play a full piece fluently. Practice practice practice.

Play a show or 3. Have people bat their hands together promptly after the song. Interrupt their hand batting by swiftly starting another song, sending them into a world of bemusement. Release something. See at least one fist in the air that isn't one of our own. Play outside of Scotland.

My ever present high standards.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
World Domination...

Ok ok either that or get a gig out of Belmont Street or Carnegies Brae! haha..

Just keep giggin down south, get more gigs in England and hopefully another festival appearance...

Everyone knows your real ambition is to shag more groupies*

*especially 40 year olds from New Deer

Guest idol_wild

Build up the club night. This is already happening - I am working on a couple of really exciting line-ups to be announced in due course.

I also want to get good Kartta studio recordings done, mixed and mastered. This has been an epic failure of ours thus far. Once they're done, release an EP. So there is something physical we can hold.

Perhaps another Kartta tour, should the other guys be available and willing.

Get some proper Debutant recordings done and definitely another tour later in the year.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

On a more serious note.....

Build up the Exposure clubnights - fingers crossed it all goes swimmingly on Friday and in the coming months...

Release some stuff with The Underkills - single shortly and possibly an album with new material later in the year.

And, promote more gigs, bring some good bands to Aberdeen :)

Improve, improve, improve. Improve everything - technique, improvisation, knowledge. I've already taken steps to help achieve this - practicing more, playing with others. .......

........ finish my instrument building projects (4 on the go just now - that's just too much parallel tasking for my liking).............

Just as Neepheid says, applies to me too....especially playing along with others and hopefully getting some sort of band together.....

As regards instruments, maintain and maybe upgrade the two Tele's I play ( a MIM & a Parfitt replica), and to finally finish the one Telecaster (a Rossi replica).... that's awaiting completion (just needs a neck set-up and cosmetic stuff to finish ...)

Get out of soloing rut.

surely not?!

play live again!

need to find a drummer for this band... once that's done get drums and vox down then gig our faces off. write some more tunes and play cities in Scotland and their 'diy' venues. glasgow (13th note), dundee (balcony) and edinburgh (henry's).

learn how to record music well. get the gear, then practice. maybe get some help along the way.

form a band that involves me playing guitar too. genre and members tbc. something pretty simple and enjoyable hopefully... clever indie, screamo or some light-chun hardcore botch/converge rip off.

This year I will be following ideas through to the end rather than getting distracted by the next project. In terms of music I will be concentrating on funk, soul and hip hop with an original group for each style.

The Super Six Funk Machine night designed to cater for these genres, along with the growing electronic scene, will run in Tunnels 2 until at least July when I will review where that's gotten to. I'm hoping that it will require a bigger venue and be able to attract the audience to match. Hopefully this night will encourage people to travel down the electronic/alternative musical routes available to them through meeting here. I may set up a couple of open electronic jam nights in somewhere like Cellar 35 to stimulate this, nothing better than meeting people face to face who have similar style or could maybe even help you to create music you want to make. People will also get to see some interesting gear in action. On top of this I will definitely be putting on a couple of hip hop and electro party nights in small venues in the run up to summer.

Planning on writing some more cracking funk and soul tracks with super six and whatever the soul band is going to be called for the summer and hopefully get some recordings done around the same time.

The rest of the year is a blank canvas but should pretty much follow the same line. I'm not too fussed about playing outside of Aberdeen this year but more for making Aberdeen an interesting place to play.

I'd quite like to start playing in a band again. Either playing bass or guitar not really fussed these days. Maybe even start a solo loop project, make proper use of the gear i've got sitting around my flat.

Also looking forward to recording some bands and building up some studio gear.

Will also continue to put on shows as my first few of this year have gone rather well. Maybe i'll try and release something again.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Wifebeater have had a blast so far, done more than I expected to in terms of gigging and songwriting. Basically carry on doing what we're doing, more gigs and releases and continue to drive intolerant authoritarian anarcho-hippies nuts...

Get the SPD dvdr out, either for a bit of nostalgia or to have another crack at it, depends if the curse of cretinous unreliable flakey-cunt band members has lifted.

Release the Irritable Down Syndrome track and do a gig or two, all being well.

Same old fucking arse from Bastard Squad.

Try and get Seig Heil The Noo, Celtic Nazi-core, off and goose-stepping.

Listen to the band 'Hammock' on a deserted tropical beach. That'd be my idea of bliss...

Chant 'You only sing when you're whaling' and 'You can stick your Nutragena up yer arse' at Norwegians in Oslo, whilst at the Norway v. Scotland qualifier.

On the band front, I have a few ideas for a heavily drum laden project with bass and keys. But that won't be anywhere near gigging this year.